Bike rack for Land rover Defender

ivor123

Have you consider a roof rack? I have always found the racks at the back of a vehicle limiting (opening doors), ticket prone (you need to see the number plate), stressfull (with the following distances we have to put up with), etc.

Have you consider a roof rack? I have always found the racks at the back of a vehicle limiting (opening doors), ticket prone (you need to see the number plate), stressfull (with the following distances we have to put up with), etc.

And make the Landy even more top heavy... :blink: That's why the sparewheel mounted option is probably better, but now we hear it could cause warpage... Don't have to worry about tickets, Defenders can't go fast enough to trigger the speed cameras...

No - the whole Defender is a design flaw ;)

I am asking about the bike rack!Do you have nothing better to do with your time than mok other people's car choice???

I Just think it might be to high coz the car is already very high!

And make the Landy even more top heavy... :blink: That's why the sparewheel mounted option is probably better, but now we hear it could cause warpage... Don't have to worry about tickets, Defenders can't go fast enough to trigger the speed cameras...

So true

>DO NOT MOUNT YOUR BIKE RACK ON A DEFENDER DOOR - The wheel alone on these is a design flaw - the bike rack will warp you rear door and give endless trouble.

>

I had the spare wheel bracket reinforced with a swing arm when I had my Defender which allows it to take the extra weight with no problems. On my Disco I added a metal plate behind the nuts on the bracket which also allows it to handle the extra weight without a problem. Having the rack on the spare wheel works well. You can open/close the door without any hassle which you might have if mounted from the towbar.

Back to the original post - I had the same issue with my sort wheelbase Pajero and found a tow bar extension. It basically looks like your towbar plate with a square tubing extension and then another tow bar plate. It extends your towbar past the spare wheel. Think I paid R350 odd for it.

I have a spare wheel mounted bike rack, works a charm for two bikes.

Called the Thule 'Spare Me' ... picking up a new one to put on the car today or tomorrow, shall put a picture up for you once attached.

Best part is, it doesn't obscure my lights or numberplate and has plenty clearance from the exhaust.

I have a spare wheel mounted bike rack, works a charm for two bikes.

Called the Thule 'Spare Me' ... picking up a new one to put on the car today or tomorrow, shall put a picture up for you once attached.

Best part is, it doesn't obscure my lights or numberplate and has plenty clearance from the exhaust.

Don't you think it will be to much wight on the door hinges?What car did you fit it to?Please send me a pic1