which mtb bike wheelset is the best

zork

I run XT hubs on Mavic 819's UST, indestructable but heavy at around 2096g

Make sure you add conversion kit weight to some of the lighter options that are non UST !!

Eg Spinnergy XYclone, light at 1695 g per set but then add 200 g for conversion kit and you are at 1895g

American classic at 1520 g plus 200 g for conv = 1750g

etc....

Best deall weight and cost wise is XT, UST ready. Bullet proof at 1677 g = my choice

I run XT hubs on Mavic 819's UST, indestructable but heavy at around 2096g

Make sure you add conversion kit weight to some of the lighter options that are non UST !!

Eg Spinnergy XYclone, light at 1695 g per set but then add 200 g for conversion kit and you are at 1895g

American classic at 1520 g plus 200 g for conv = 1750g

etc....

Best deall weight and cost wise is XT, UST ready. Bullet proof at 1677 g = my choice

On none of these wheels do you need a Conversion kit.... They are tubeles wheelsets.... You just have to put tape over the nipple holes...... thats like 50g for both wheels.......

if you want light and competative go for the notubes alpine or crest rims with american classic hubs

rider weight of up to 85kgs should be fine. have a friend around 85kgs that raced on Notubes RC7000's 1.8/1.5 spokes hehe (but they flexed a hell of alot)

I have a pair of XTR/Velocity VXC wheels and a set of the American Classics - I'd recommend both unreservedly.

The XTR/VXC are about 80g lighter but the American Classics feel like they roll faster (completely non scientific "fact").

I prefer the AC's because they don't need the tubelss conversion - they come with permanent sealing band.

Bang for buck the AC's are tough to beat!

American classic are happy medium

Read a review on an Intense Spider in the latest Tread magazine. Very sought after bike with a frameset costing R18500-00. The bike is fitted with an American Classic MTB 26 wheelset, and gets a great review. Now why would they fit AC to a great frame, if it is not a great wheelset. Happy medium my ass!!! :angry:

On none of these wheels do you need a Conversion kit.... They are tubeles wheelsets.... You just have to put tape over the nipple holes...... thats like 50g for both wheels.......

So you say I do not need that rubber tube like rim strip thing that cost a fortune ?

So even if spoke nipple holes are open on inside, you just plak some tape and fit presta valve and go.

On the Mavic 819' s I have there are no nipple/spoke holes, you simply insert valve and go tubeless. No tapes of any kind.... That's what I though was UST or Tubeless wheels.

See on web 2 schools of though re conversions to tubeless, inluding rubber rim strip and one without.

What works best ?