Events are getting too expensive

Pierre GlobalSp

MTB events are too expensive  

127 members have voted

1. 1. The expense of entering MTB events is putting me off taking part in them.

• Agree
    • Disagree

Why I don't mind paying good money for my entry:

- The non-profit orginisers like Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust is doing a lot of good with that entry fee.

- We complain that events are often "kerk bazaar" type races with amateurs organising and co-ordinating the events. Pro event orginisers need to make a good living, or they'll all start exclusve sports tour companies to take rich tourists on the routes that we want to race.

- We complain when there are 3000 riders on a route that should only be taking 1000 riders. If higher entry fees means that I have less traffic in the event, I'll gladly pay.

- We often see very nice lucky draw prizes at the races (at least we have good prizes in the Western Cape). If you do 10 races a year and stay for the lucky draw prizes, chances are good that you will win a decent wine hamper or a cycling voucher for your trouble.

- We demand new routes every year. New routes take time and time is money.

- Someone needs to clean up an rehabilitate the route once we've done our best to destroy it during a race.

What I do mind:

- CSA taking money for nothing

- Orginisers over promising and under delivering.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It becomes expensive for me when I have to enter myself and my 2 Boys. The 3rd one is almost of age aswell.

Both for MTB and road events. Now how's THAT!!!

the best when they "invite" you to ride and then you have to pay even more :) i love the logic

ps. i voted 'disagree' : still think its not much to pay compared to other means of entertainment. dinner and flowers cost double that and it only lasts 12seconds :P ;)

I take it you fall in the premature category ;)

Morewoodmad...I agree 100%.

I voted in agreement with events being too much..however I was not referring to races like Die Burger. It seams the average is between R90 and R150 to ride some fantastic fun rides here in the Cape.

Consider that we usually have less than 500 participants per event in the Cape it's excellent value for money, because theres infrastructure, standby medical, trail preparations(yes thats correct) trails are refurbished and made friendly in many races to allow for flow, which contributes to the fun factor irrespective of your level of fitness. This costs big bucks. Otherwise enter the cheap races in Gauteng and be happy with riding boring public dirt roads. The proceeds are often also donated for some or other charity. Races often take place on land where purpose built bike trails exist. Purpose built trails are very expensive see Amarider(who I support)

Furthermore compare to other sports like running. These range from R40- R90 for an average normal event but they have thousands of people entering and only need to arrange with authorities for road closure, an ambulance or medical team have no trails to prepare and proceeds go to the running club organizing the race and sports bodies. In this respect the R180 is not excessive for such a small field usually. Die Burger is a big race on Cape Standards but is still small compared to Gauteng races unless something as changed since my move to the Cape.

However I object to the stage race prices..ABSA CAPE EPIC comes with an Epic entry fee per team(close to R30 000, Wine 2 whales and some others are over R10 000. I would love to enter a stage race. However I refuse to pay that even if I was able to afford it. Now the organizers of these races make no bones about the fact that they are there to make a profit and they are fully booked with a waiting list! Demand dictates pricing..end of argument.

People paid R4500 for soccer tickets so my guess is that R185 is still cheap.At least here you get water along the way and a medal and medical if needed,soccer got zilch.

But the soccer players (= cyclists) did not have to pay anything and got water, medical if needed etc! Need to compare apples with apples?!

However I object to the stage race prices..ABSA CAPE EPIC comes with an Epic entry fee per team(close to R30 000, Wine 2 whales and some others are over R10 000. I would love to enter a stage race. However I refuse to pay that even if I was able to afford it. Now the organizers of these races make no bones about the fact that they are there to make a profit and they are fully booked with a waiting list! Demand dictates pricing..end of argument.

There are more economical alternatives to the Epic and Wines2Whales. The renosterveld MTB race, Marrick Challenge, Rhodes Extreme, Oudtshoorn MTB marathon and Cape Outback are but a few. There will always be a place for the big premier races as well as the smaller events. Unlike a few years ago we now have more to choose from than ever before.

But the soccer players (= cyclists) did not have to pay anything and got water, medical if needed etc! Need to compare apples with apples?!

If you were a professional cyclist, you would not have paid for the entry fee either. - how bout them apples.

I think it's expensive but still affordable - if that makes sense!?! It costs a lot just to have a halfway decent life. After paying for 3 kids at very good schools, house, cars, medical, tax, RA, etc there is not much left. Race fees are a small amount compared to the cost of the bike, traveling, time, etc. If i feel that it's not good value i just will not go.

But I am happy to pay for a good race, such as Die Burger, Knysna, Argus, 94.7, and i always like the first road race in spring, the Worcester race which is normally cold and windy, but such a good start to the race season.

If you were a professional cyclist, you would not have paid for the entry fee either. - how bout them apples.

Thats fair - both apples now :rolleyes:

What I do mind:

- CSA taking money for nothing

- Orginisers over promising and under delivering.

Csa taking money for nothing and then building pools.

as a full-time student addicted to cycling, it does get very expensive at the end of the day. After working and saving I've managed to buy myself both a road and mtb but when it comes to maintenance and other equipment it gets tough. I've really enjoyed the racing but its becoming very expensive, especially the bigger ones. I can only imagine what it must be like when your whole family is hooked... I'm also having to now select which races I like the most and only attend those.

I can only imagine what it must be like when your whole family is hooked... I'm also having to now select which races I like the most and only attend those.

....tell me about it!! Let alone maintaining 6 bikes.

Thats fair - both apples now :rolleyes:

hehe - if our pro cyclists were earning what these soccer sissies were earning the world would have been a better place.

Larger events are usually very well attended. Many of those taking part only ride their bikes 2-3 times per year. For them paying around R200 for a race entry is very reasonable.

What I'd like to know is with these larger events, why do they have to be more expensive than the typical weekend ones. Surely if they reach a certain number of entries they've covered all overhead costs? There's also some weekend events that have an attendance of over 1000 people whilst others have 200 and the prices are the same.

Guest Big H

Do not know about the cost in RSA and no events in Nigeria, but this topic has been coming on regularly since 2004. Same complaints same role players, it is NOT going to change, cough up, pay or start something cheaper by using your own initiative, but STO complaining!!!!!!!

the best when they "invite" you to ride and then you have to pay even more :) i love the logicps. i voted 'disagree' : still think its not much to pay compared to other means of entertainment. dinner and flowers cost double that and it only lasts 12seconds :P ;)

I take it you fall in the premature category ;)

Hopefully the sex lasts longer than 12seconds :D