Events are getting too expensive

Pierre GlobalSp

MTB events are too expensive  

127 members have voted

1. 1. The expense of entering MTB events is putting me off taking part in them.

• Agree
    • Disagree

Most of this has been a discussion not complaints. Only with the right information can we do anything about it.

Do not know about the cost in RSA and no events in Nigeria, but this topic has been coming on regularly since 2004. Same complaints same role players, it is NOT going to change, cough up, pay or start something cheaper by using your own initiative, but STO complaining!!!!!!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100%! I'm compelled to add a Rands/km function on my cycling computer so that I can see how much its costing me. Do you think if you broke your wheels in the first 5km they'd give you a refund? I am quite interested in the justification behind that.

I want to know how this whole sponsorship deal work. Surely if stuff gets sponsored the price must go down. I did a inaugural MTB race a few months back and it was really cheap and you did not just get a great route but a t-shirt and lunch. Now they got sponsorship for the event and the price almost doubled. An personally I don't see when the price for a half distance lap event is reasonable they have to double it for the full distance. It's the same course so it's not like you need double the marshals or double the drinks tables. They should be the same price at the half distance price not same at the full distance price.

It's a fair point but their is something very special about the vibe with loads of other people. I find I am now only entering the races where the organisers have made an effort to create trails on usually closed areas of farms or reserves - this way you are getting something for your money. And I do agree with many other comments that this does cost money.

I battle to understand the fascination people have (especially in the Western Cape, I can't comment about trails elsewhere in SA) with "doing races" when you have renowned MTBing areas like Jonkershoek, Grabouw, Tokai etc to name only the better known ones which you can ride at any time of the week or weekend, UNCONGESTED, for as long as you want, looping as much singletrack as you desire, re-doing the sections that make you go Whoopee and shooting the breeze with your buddies. Total no brainer in my book.

Every year people bitch about the costs and every year it is massively over crowded, so it seems to answer your question: nobody cares. There are so many trails in the Cape, why don't you just go and ride one which is bound to be less crowded on that day? That way you save yourself a lot of pain and bitching and moaning.

Maybe if people stay away costs will come down, but the truth is people don't stay away!

How do you find the cost of events in your neck of the woods compared to SA?

IMO the cost of events here in Schweiz is more expensive then SA for your average or typical event.

IMO the cost of events here in Schweiz is more expensive then SA for your average or typical event.

I'm sure your salaries are more there then the average or typical SA cyclist aswell.

I feel that the price doesnt matter because from the deal I still get to do a race and get to do it in the most spectacular places. Most races in the cape also time you, so then you can also keep track of your progress.

I dont think its the easiest thing planning and organising a race, and I am thankfull for people that actually go out of their way to plan these events.

Therefore I shoes and try to take part and support as many of them.

My 2c

I'm sure your salaries are more there then the average or typical SA cyclist aswell.

Maybe if you convert it directly into Ronds, but in the same breath the cost of living here is also much higher. QUality of life is also high but trust me you pay for it....

If you look at a pretty "macdonald" type event anywhere on the planet like 70.3 IM, here it costs

from R2350 - R2920 to enter depending when you enter, earlier = cheaper. Compared to R1300 - R1650 for 70.3 South Africa.

Maybe if you convert it directly into Ronds, but in the same breath the cost of living here is also much higher. QUality of life is also high but trust me you pay for it....

So everything is basically the same in relation to each other. Your salary is 5x higher then in SA but the houses and food are 5X more expensive.

A dozen or so years in national motorsport puts a completely different perspective on things. I don't have a problem with entry fees unless you're talking Epic.

Why can't we just have a Magalies Monster series, one event, or maybe even 2, every month or so? Real value for money, great route (if not the best), great water tables (if not the best), great goodie bag (if not the best). Right up there with Forest 2 Falls quality.

The licensing fee is to see how many registered cycling participants our country has because goverment base their funding towards a sport based on registered numbers at a national sporting body. Cycling is curently a level c sport we can easily get to level a where rugby and soccer is. Unfortunately you need to be part of a club to be licensed but that is a UCI regulation

Yeah thats what it says but if you fill in the form it goes up to R700 pp, you have to then pay upfront this year and next year. Unless i missed something on the registration form. but i would assume its 150 this year plus the 300 for next year plus the 300 for CSA. that alone for me and my girl is already 1400 spent, though i will join them i supppose but still want to go check out their tracks as i spent most of my time in jonkers. and grabouw

Go read again - Its R450 for 1.5 years and for an additional membership its R300 extra. So for 2 you pay R750 for 18 months of trail use. New trail section opening on Saturday morning. 8am start at D-Aria.

Trail grading (in my humble opinion)

Easy : Meerendal Blue route, Nitida singletrack section, Mijick forest middle and lower sections

Moderate: Majick forest upper sections, Meerendal Red Route, Contermanskloof green route, Hillcrest green route

Hard: Contermans Blue route, Hillcrest red route, Contermanskloof black route, Contermanskloof Stuntman route.

Will gladly show you more of the trails. You missed out with a broken toe at Meerendal.

A dozen or so years in national motorsport puts a completely different perspective on things. I don't have a problem with entry fees unless you're talking Epic.

Geez, you're correct on this one. A friend of mine races an old (or should I rather say classic?) Porsche regularly and he estimates roughly 10-15K per weekend event (that is if all goes well). If you crash or the engine packs up the bill is enormous... and this is on the low budget stuff. We are not talking Wesbank modified saloons here.

I just drink less beer. That way I can afford to enter more races. I drive less and save petrol. That way is another way to enter more races. Eat less and less often. Loose weight. Save money. Enter more races.

Or don't.

So if its a government research thing then why not just have registration requirement and not a fee?

The licensing fee is to see how many registered cycling participants our country has because goverment base their funding towards a sport based on registered numbers at a national sporting body. Cycling is curently a level c sport we can easily get to level a where rugby and soccer is. Unfortunately you need to be part of a club to be licensed but that is a UCI regulation

How do you find the cost of events in your neck of the woods compared to SA?

Swiss, mamparra/moegoe always gets his knickers in a twist when we compare SA to the rest of the world so I won't. Well, OK, I will, but only because you asked!

In Holland you either get expensive timed big events which are quite expensive, but they are also quite infrequent. It's only the Bart Brentjens Challenge and some of the Beach Races that do this and they are very slick.

What they do have here which is very reasonable (2 or 3 Euros per race!) are "toertochten" (touring rides), which are organised by the local bike clubs and have arrowed routes, sometimes snacks and maybe a pamphlet or two to pick up, but no timing and no frills. You just turn up between 8:00 and 10:00, sign on, pay and ride. No starting groups, no bitching about Winningtime/Racetec/whoever. You just get on your bike and ride. This would be perfect for SA to bring down the costs, but I fear everyone in SA wants to be timed and treated like a king/queen with timing and goodie bags and medals.