Rotor

DownhillingKing

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the pretty much look the same but if you shake a floating rotor you hear a rattling sound. the outer and innter bits arent fixed...outer bit "floats"

the thing i can never understand - they say its to reduce the heat transfer to the calliper->oil

....due to a very significant, but generally unseen characteristic: between the hub carrier and the braking surface, a small gap exists. The rotor doesn't move around because it is tightly riveted, but in a manner that when the brake track expands and contracts, it can move into and out of that small space.

NB: There should'nt be much of a rattling sound though.

guys explain well the diffrences from floating or not ;)

heating dissipation is the best quality in a floating rotor

and the gap in the rivets was done for this reason,, enlarging with heat of braking power

Guest Big H

Is floating the opposite of sinking here???????

We have 180mm solid Hope disks on the tandem and they work well.

and the gap in the rivets was done for this reason,, enlarging with heat of braking power

I take it that english, she is not your first language?

Also either you are lying about the whole heat dissipation thing or my heat transfer lecturer was. But then again english was also not his first language...

Not necassary only in a floating disc rotor...in any two piece that has an allum centre carrier.

Not necassary only in a floating disc rotor...in any two piece that has an allum centre carrier.

which rotor you used had a aluminium spider ?

My 2c, what does a downhill guy want with light rotors ?

Anyway, the formula's work well for me and you can use organic pads. Can be a bit noisy some times, dunno why.

Had Windcutter and shimanos, didnt like them. Windcutter eats pads for brekfis !

Scrubs make the lightest rotors I know of, but very expensive !

Ashima Airotor is quoted in the 80gm range and for the price on crc thats real cheap, but they do eat pads a bit as well.

Got good reviews from Gram @ Grams light bikes.

My 2c, what does a downhill guy want with light rotors ?

Anyway, the formula's work well for me and you can use organic pads. Can be a bit noisy some times, dunno why.

Had Windcutter and shimanos, didnt like them. Windcutter eats pads for brekfis !

Scrubs make the lightest rotors I know of, but very expensive !

Ashima Airotor is quoted in the 80gm range and for the price on crc thats real cheap, but they do eat pads a bit as well.

Got good reviews from Gram @ Grams light bikes.

agree.

i have Scrubs too

..and sorry for my english , chickenrun4me :D

post-16089-087045500 1279744676.jpg

which rotor you used had a aluminium spider ?

Shimano 2010 SM-RT76 Disc Rotor, Two piece construction with Aluminum spider for weight reduction and heat transfer.

I was told they are not available in SA as yet.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Ridr in my experience the shape/size/angle/sharpness of the cut-outs in the rotor do not play well with semi-metal/sintered (?) or organic pads, they are just to soft and get worn away very fast. With metal pads you should be fine. Perhaps bad quality control also makes it worse and less uniform.

Ridr in my experience the shape/size/angle/sharpness of the cut-outs in the rotor do not play well with semi-metal/sintered (?) or organic pads, they are just to soft and get worn away very fast. With metal pads you should be fine. Perhaps bad quality control also makes it worse and less uniform.

I guess I will have to take those crap Alligator rotors off my bike even though they don't eat away at my sintered pads.

As for the quality control, this is shocking, I didn't know this, thanks for the heads up.

The floating disc allows the inner portion (spider) of the disc mounting system to be made from a lighter, weaker material and hence decrease the rotating mass of the wheel and adding to the overall lightness of the bike.

DMC007, those Shimano RT76 rotors you got from Loudmac are awesome stuff. Got mine from CRC as they are not yet available in SA. Spoke to Coolheat (Shimano distributor) before I placed my order, and they said due to lots of stock of the RT75 they do not anticipate getting the RT76 any time soon. Regarding eliflap's comment on floating rotos, consider the RT76 just as good, as they are lighter and also displaces heat. And they look great. What more do you want? ;)

what i want ? ... a light rotor ... Formula steel rotors are cheap ( here ) and light ,no problem of heating or fading .

i had shimano rotors , they are heavy as rocks , XTR centerlock RT75 too :(

finally , Shimano wake up and go with a good 6 holes design ... but over 100 g i guess not light as you described ...