Diamond Rush 40km

zaShadow

I really enjoyed the Nissan Diamond Rush 40k ride this Saturday. I found the route, though very little single track, to be lekka technical and challenging. It reminded me why I am a mountain biker and not a roadie.

That incline near the end was a shocker! Who woulda thought they'll take us over a mine dump :)). Great descend after that though.

How did you find it?

POSTED THIS UNDER THE "FELL THIS WEEKEND" but relevant:

Did the Cullinan 40km ride this weekend. Was a pretty cool ride but saw what felt like a higher number of injured cyclists on this ride.

There was a guy who looked to be in his 50's lying near one of the water points on his side (recovery position) with medical staff. He looked pretty out of it and the water staff said the guy lost control in the thick sand.

The 2nd one was the worst - a youngish looking guy - probably late teens - lying in a rocky section with blood coming out of mouth and nose etc. Looked like he may have face planted.

The third was a woman who feel on the downhill heading towards the base of the mine dune. She fell just in front of me but I suspect her injury wasn't that bad. She was kinda out of it but often you are for a minute or 2.

It was to my mind a relatively technical route and I really enjoyed it. What I didn't enjoy was all the people getting off their bikes and then blocking the route for those who wanted to ride. There is nothing more frustrating than making it up and over a technical section only to have to bail JUST near the top because some chop has blown a gasket and decides to stop and STAND IN THE PATH! WTF!! Get off the path or at least get to one side so others can get past. On some areas, there were 2 lanes of traffic where guys were pushing their bikes so NOBODY could get through. GRRR!!!

Would have been one of my favourite races, BUT broke my back derailer at 20km's so had to finish the race with three gears! Not happy! But LOVE technical races! Also found a lot of people walking in the middle of the trail! Awesome single trac, thick sand, game viewing, jeep track etc. Saw every one of those accidents mentioned and found myself feeling a little ill every time! Thank goodness there are so many experienced riders out there who know a bit about first aid and were able to assist! Apparently a lady was T-boned by an eland and they had to take her out by helicopter! I hope everyone was ok!

It was one of the more demanding races, lots of injuries and breakdowns. Thoroughly enjoyed it :D

I wont try to be macho or pretend that it didn't hurt. That race was tough as hell. That's the longest I've spent on my bike in a 40km race... ever!!

On my way up the mine dump a guy turned to me and said: "Ek hou van stoot, maar nie my fiets nie" :lol:

Still, it was a good race, tough, but good.

Awesome race. Rode with my GF for a change so had fun. Nice and technical. Fixed a few mechanicals for people (couple of chains), so hope they got back on their way. I have photo's along the route, here are the race numbers, so PM me if you want them. Unfortunately it may not be the best place for a photo, most were at the top of the hill at the mine dump :-)

2423???? (Male)

Apparently a lady was T-boned by an eland and they had to take her out by helicopter! I hope everyone was ok!

That sounds pretty hectic! I saw the giraffe's galloping around like crazy and the thought did cross my mind that if one of those hit you, your head would be spinning for days! Can't believe it actually happened to someone. Anyone know more info?

That sounds pretty hectic! I saw the giraffe's galloping around like crazy and the thought did cross my mind that if one of those hit you, your head would be spinning for days! Can't believe it actually happened to someone. Anyone know more info?

Yeah I was just ahead of the giraffe when they ran through the mountains! The sound their hooves made sounded like we were under attack! The thought crossed my mind too!

We were almost taken out by a group of antelope running very fast across our path. They luckily saw us just in time and mad a very sharp turn. The poor marshal at the gate had to stand in their path to stop them from running into the road. With us coming from one direction, fence on left side, them coming from right and gate straight ahead it could've turned out quite different.

I also snapped my chain at around 15km. Walked a bit and a very nice guy (think he had a halo hidden) helped me to get it fixed. His race number was 22549. If any one has his contact details please PM me; I would like to thank him again. Was still able to get a decent position.

If all Nissan races turn out like this, I am their newest biggest fan.

Did the 70km race on my ss rigid, amazing too see so many people get off and walk for the smallest technical bits.

Yeah I was just ahead of the giraffe when they ran through the mountains! The sound their hooves made sounded like we were under attack! The thought crossed my mind too!

I just saw an eland crossing about 10m in front of me, the sound of the giraffe must have been scary

I must say, it was a fantastic event. I did not quit expect the rout to be that tough but i really enjoyed it at the end. The giraffe incident was crazy, about 8 of them came running down the hill and just ran everything (trees bushes ect) out of their way. The must have been frightened or something but that was a tense moment...

That mine dump was no pleasure either, but thinking back about it now just makes me smile and shake my head...

Good one to the organizers, i'll be joining you on the next one, that's for sure!!!

I just saw an eland crossing about 10m in front of me, the sound of the giraffe must have been scary

I guess it comes with the territory of cycling in Africa! Just never really thought of antelope as being dangerous!!! An Eland would have done serious harm! Anyone see the notorius Rhino?

Seems like you 40km riders had way more fun than us 70km's guys....not fair we did odd 26km's more and should have had as much fun.... :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: But it was good!!!

Did the 70km race on my ss rigid, amazing too see so many people get off and walk for the smallest technical bits.

I walked that 3 red arrow downhill.....was not in the mood for a wipe-out!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just one question how can you enjoy a race where you have to push your bike wheather to steep ,the minedump or serious downhills or when other riders are pushing their bikes ? For me when I enjoy a race you must ride the whole way as fast as possible. I enjoyed the Hazeldeane race much more than this one .I realy k@k on the race on Saturday .BTW what distances did you peeps got ? I got 41 km .