Weighty cranks

2teeth

Thug (king of bling) and Mamapara  (CRC saleman)' date=' you okes obviously did not read what I wrote Wink (I'm writing this slowly so that you can understand) I said I had an option to buy the Truvativ at a very special price (read very little!) so don't want to look at other cranks (sorry Mamapara no comm for you!). The question was simply do I replace my current FC-M540 Shimano (upper Deore non series?) cranks with the Truvativ Firex GXP's based on the following 2 criteria :-

1) are they better, lighter?

2) if 1 is true then will they be more bling?

3) if 1 or 2 is not true then should I bother at all?

Capice now Question

Looking forward to your now more constructive replies! Thug - I know I will not reach your now legendary level of blingness by changing a mere crank (and a new paint job for the Epic!) but one can only try!

[/quote']

1 000 humble apologies Mfaan  :bow down smiley   LOL

In answer to your questions......

1. Probably yes & Not according to Weight Weenies (712g vs 940g but I'm not sure if the shimano weight is the complete crank, bb, spider etc)

2. Undoubtedly

3. Your decision

But I'd still go for the Crank Bros crank  LOL

Thug - I'm gonna buy them (sorry mampara they not available!) and then at least if I go slower I can blame it on your advice Wink

hello people' date='

my wife has bontrager stylo cranks at the moment on her race bike (mtb) and i have a set off shimano xt cranks at home. so i was thinking we want too get her bike a bit lighter, now i know changing the wheelset and tyres are the easiest place too save some weight but i am not too sure about the cranks.

does anyone know the difference in weight of the 2 products? and is it really worth my while too change it around?

thanks for the help
[/quote']

Unless you are technically competent, let sleeping dogs lie, I say. The two cranks could have different fixture modes - square taper or splines (two or three types) and may not be directly compatible without swapping out the BBs as well.

The weight difference will be so small and since both cranks have their own perculiar flaws, neither is really better than the other.

They may not even be the same length and although the differences are small, she may then prefer the one over the other - usually the one you just took off.

Go for a ride instead.

Johan Bornman2007-08-21 03:44:55

Thug - I'm gonna buy them (sorry mampara they not available!) and then at least if I go slower I can blame it on your advice Wink

That's OK, I got big shoulders......... blame away Big%20smile

Oh, and next time we race, I'll bring a tow-rope LOL