Latest PPA seeding

Wannabe

Oh the good old seeding chat again.

Dont we just love these!

Done with good intentions, but in reality provides bad results.

Niklas, yes I do agree with your statement on keeping things level through events and then we will see consistant results.

But with that statement you just gave it puts Davids seeding model at flaw.

I know that you are friends with him, so you dont want to complain much, but it is super clear that things are wrong when you look at how everyone has been moaning for as long as I have been on this site.

The winners time should not get played with on a long route with people with a A seeding winning it.

They will need to still adjust for events that has lower seeded people winning.

But I have seen races that the winners of the race (david george etc those caliber riders) have had their times knocked back a bit. Now if the best riders in this country are getting that time for the race, no body else in the world is going to better it. Look our riders even beat Lance at the argus :)

So rather at the end of the day, we will all be on the same level, for every event. They can always make groups smaller as they go along again.

When is this agm?

We need to torch I mean attend this meeting.

Getting David (frail) onto the board will be a major bonus for us so that we can have our interests represented internally better.

Does anyone know how the written nomination thing works?

You have to remember that the seeding model is a statistical model that tries to approximate people's seedings in the simplest and most effective way. Seeding is just there to insure that when you race you are riding in a group of people with similar fitness levels, experience, etc. If you do a race and the winner's time is adjusted up or down, it affects the seeding index for everyone that did the race. This winner's time adjustment has got nothing to do with the winner, it is just part of how the model works. Also there doesn't exist one model that would work for every race. People always want to improve their seeding and go up. When the new model was created last year, the new beta adjustment actually served to help people. The hub is only a small representation of all the people that use the seeding system.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Niklasvm - what you say is correct. But i think what hassles some people, including myself, is not that the methodology is problematic, but its application seems to be inconsistent. Or at least the perceived application of it.

I think the existing statistical model used, as david explained it to me, is a good model. But i also think that there could be merit in discussing how (or why)the adjustments are made to the winning time, and how the linear regression is applied to different races. Applying a linear regression to the actual results is a tricky and risky approach, as it might adjusts different results differently within the same race.

You have to remember that the seeding model is a statistical model that tries to approximate people's seedings in the simplest and most effective way. Seeding is just there to insure that when you race you are riding in a group of people with similar fitness levels, experience, etc. If you do a race and the winner's time is adjusted up or down, it affects the seeding index for everyone that did the race. This winner's time adjustment has got nothing to do with the winner, it is just part of how the model works. Also there doesn't exist one model that would work for every race. People always want to improve their seeding and go up. When the new model was created last year, the new beta adjustment actually served to help people. The hub is only a small representation of all the people that use the seeding system.

I agree with that point...(but merely a guide to our fitness level) it is not 100% correct. Yet you do find a small percentage of riders that do not belong in certain Groups. Since the new model was implemented...somewhere along the line the consistency was lost.

Has anyone received their updated seeded number and/or membership cards for 2010/11? I've yet to receive mine. Should get an extra month added to my membership come 2011...

I got mine today and it was B so really happy. But....

Their always need to be 1 But and mine is it is not B 1!! We as committee members always use to get the number 1 of the seeded numbers Cat you qualified for - so even this perk has gone!!!

B 1 has such a nice ring to it - their can only BE ONE (B1)!!!

So who ever get's B1 do you mind swoping - naturally I will have the swop done correctly in the office!

Surprise, surprise! It was waiting for me in the post when I got home. :D Happy with the big, old 'G'!

Surprise, surprise! It was waiting for me in the post when I got home. :D Happy with the big, old 'G'!

What was yr previous seeding. My seeding remained the same...improved on my index though.

Checked on their website, mine also stayed "G" (but my index dropped a bit closer to "H" :angry: )

What was yr previous seeding. My seeding remained the same...improved on my index though.

Previously 'I'. And yourself?

Checked on their website, mine also stayed "G" (but my index dropped a bit closer to "H" :angry: )

Jy moet oeffen boet, en meer race, los daai stokkies draai :D

Jy moet oeffen boet, en meer race, los daai stokkies draai :D

Is die Mtb races se skuld. Ek ry nie vir tyd nie, net vir die ondervinding daarvan (ook vir my Vitality punte ;) ), daarom is my Mtb tye maar sleg. Kla nie regtig nie. Ry lekker gemaklik saam met G bondel. Sal seker so met tyd seeding verbeter.

Tip: Don't ride races where Kevan Evans; Burry etc, competes....it'll stuff up YOUR seeding.... :D