Supplier / dealer whatever

Guest coenie

Bikes are EXPENSIVE, they are 'HAND MADE' in the EAST (not Benoni).

Gone are the days when you ordered a Colnago and bam your size, tubing and colour arrive 6 weeks later with a letter from Ernesto to enjoy your new ride. (Hopefully these days will come back - Check out - Parlee)

Agents order a period in advance (changes per agent) and that's it, stock till the next RUN. If you run out you wait, no short reorder times. Welcome to economies of scale.

I don't agree with it, I don't like it.

Expensive + Poor Service = Poor Customer Experience

Coenie, fly to the UK and buy one. You know you want to!

Grumpy is spot on, we pay the bucks we should get what we want, not what we are told to have!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coenie

@Edman, yes you are right but I want to know why can I not buy from another country? I am still supporting the product just in another country and colour?

@Capricorn, you are SOOO right...the price fixing seems to be worldwide. You can not buy form UK because are cheaper than here....I understand that but then my local supplier should be able to get me what I want.

@101SCC, I might just fly, holiday and bring back my machine

:-)

@Edman, yes you are right but I want to know why can I not buy from another country? I am still supporting the product just in another country and colour?

What would be the motivation for a local concern to start to agency for a product if you can bypass them and get it from another country?

Guest coenie

What would be the motivation for a local concern to start to agency for a product if you can bypass them and get it from another country?

I understand that, then the local agency should be able to bring in special orders....

My point is that we are stuffed BOTH ways, can not get what you want using the local agency and can not get from another country...

Coenie - this doesn't really resolve the general issue but it might solve your particular problem. If the frame is available in the US, register with myUS.com. This gives you a shipping address in the US (Florida) and they will then ship the item to SA (at pretty reasonable prices). You do have to register with them and pay a fee but it might be worth your while...

I understand that, then the local agency should be able to bring in special orders....

My point is that we are stuffed BOTH ways, can not get what you want using the local agency and can not get from another country...

You're not stuffed. Just limited in your choice.

Guest coenie

Coenie - this doesn't really resolve the general issue but it might solve your particular problem. If the frame is available in the US, register with myUS.com. This gives you a shipping address in the US (Florida) and they will then ship the item to SA (at pretty reasonable prices). You do have to register with them and pay a fee but it might be worth your while...

Thanks very much I will try this.....I owe you a coffee

:D

Guest coenie

You're not stuffed. Just limited in your choice.

Why should we be ?

Sorry Ghostface I have no idea what you are talking about here?

So what frame is it you want? We've had a shop in CT say they have a customer that ONLY wants a Black Anthem X frame and was very upset that he couldn't get one. I took it that it was you.

Well, if they do a proper feasability study on the demand for their anticipated product and not a thumbsuck in the pub on friday evening, they would KNOW if its viable or not.

....but then your argument assumes "everyone" is going to bypass them and get it elsewhere, but this is usually not the case.

In any event in my opinion, whoever coenie is dealing with has a poor business model, there is absolutely no reason on earth why they cannot put in a special order for a customer who wants something they distribute, be upfront, tell the customer it will take "x" months, depending on the rate of exchange it will cost "y" and ask for a deposit to secure your sale.

Companies do it all the time, its not unique.

It all boils down to attitude, and it seems to me theirs is "dont bother me.!"

Well, if they do a proper feasability study on the demand for their anticipated product and not a thumbsuck in the pub on friday evening, they would KNOW if its viable or not.

....but then your argument assumes "everyone" is going to bypass them and get it elsewhere, but this is usually not the case.

In any event in my opinion, whoever coenie is dealing with has a poor business model, there is absolutely no reason on earth why they cannot put in a special order for a customer who wants something they distribute, be upfront, tell the customer it will take "x" months, depending on the rate of exchange it will cost "y" and ask for a deposit to secure your sale.

Companies do it all the time, its not unique.

It all boils down to attitude, and it seems to me theirs is "dont bother me.!"

BMW did this for my Dad. He wanted a 325 with all the trimmings his colour etc. He wanted some wired gun metal grey. They said NP but will only arrive from Germany in november some 8 months after he paid for it. they had no hassles :)

Coenie

Can't you be more specific on the Model of Specialized ?

If you look at their range they pretty much have almost only one color option for most models.

You also have to bear in mind that for 2011 the bikes would have had to be ordered last month already, the importer has to "forecast" and then make a call.

What will sell, what won't sell and what might sell.

In any industry I will assure you that options are limited especially in a country where we are forced to act with a third world mentality (the money we earn is becoming less thanks to us paying for everything to make up short falls that parliament can't deal with)

This is affecting not just this industry and the sport we love, but industries across the board, money is becoming less and the ability to hold stock also gets affected because the cash flow just gets f'd up all the way.

Then we have the world economic crisis which will take us longer to get out of than we all anticipate......and ....and .....and, I can go on all day.

The bottom line, we live here, we have a choice, buy local or buy international, nothing can stop us.

As I said, Specialized don't offer many options, INTERNATIONALLY, so I do find your rant a little vague as I suspect that you might want something which might not even be in a catalogue, but then again I could be wrong and duly apologise, but some clarity on exactly what you are after would be great.

I'm still waiting to find out what Giant frame this is he wants. I've asked around the office and no one knows what Coenie is on about. We had a store in CT ask if a Anthem X frame was availible in Black but unfortunatly it isn't an aftermarket colour. There is no 2010 Anthem X bike in black either. If it's not this bike Coenie wants, then he should tell me what he wants. Then we can look into it closer.

When we import a frame, that is not part of our regular range, we ask for the store to confirm the order by taking a deposit. In the past it has happened that we import a bike or frame for a customer and when it arrives the customer rejects the sale or has vanished.

We can only import from the International range of bikes.

Phone the US and tell them, in your best possible accent, that you're American and the South Africans won't allow you to buy their bikes because the colours here are only sellable to Saffa's.

Should work.

When we import a frame, that is not part of our regular range, we ask for the store to confirm the order by taking a deposit. In the past it has happened that we import a bike or frame for a customer and when it arrives the customer rejects the sale or has vanished.

We can only import from the International range of bikes.

Ja, then you are a bunch of tossers for getting upset(the mind boggles), I think some peeps forget that they are also in a service industry and the company that pays their house and car and other things also can't afford wastage.

Nowadays cashflow is king.