Supplier / dealer whatever

Guest coenie

I fully understand the concept, but why can we not import it ourselfs then or why can the dealer not get what we want?

Would you foot the bill for transport and any other extras, or would you expect the agent to cover this?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy the frame you want in the SA colour scheme and then get it repainted. Problem solved.

and BAM! there goes the warrantee. But then again, if you bring it in yourself you don't have much of a warrantee anyway. Either way, you have the colour you want without back-up.

Would you foot the bill for transport and any other extras, or would you expect the agent to cover this?

He already said that he expects them to source it and get it at no extra cost,which is NOT going to happen,not with giant not with anyone.

The frames and bikes we have in SA are ordered Waaaay in advance,like months.So if they did try and get one,it would have to be from the country that has them.It would have to be flown in and that would cost the Buyer extra.

Giant does import custom frames/bikes for customers as long as the frame/bike is availible (Black Anthem X frames are not an aftermarket item) and the customer is willing to wait the 4 months it will take. All bikes/frames are "made to order" and there isn't a warehouse full of frames ripe for the picking. Sometimes we get very lucky and another territory has cancelled something and Giant HQ has it in stock. This is very rare though. I think it's happened twice.

The next shipment of frames/complete bikes may only land in a years time. You expect them to import one bike for you? Because you want a specific colour?

Sounds like a spoiled child to me.

The next shipment of frames/complete bikes may only land in a years time. You expect them to import one bike for you? Because you want a specific colour?

Sounds like a spoiled child to me.

Where did you get that info?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a hypothetical scenario. Shipments depends on warehouse space/cost of shipping, production at factory, demand patterns, availability of cash flow etc.

Some of our suppliers bring shipments every 3 months, others once a year.

Giant is not once a year and not every three months.

But I understand what you mean,they can't snap their fingers and recieve special orders every week.

So, theres a lead time, so what.?...every factory in the world has a lead time.! Every distributor in the world works around factory lead times, this is not something new and unique.!

Tell the customer theres a XYZ lead time, and if you want it before our shipment arrives via oceanfreight we will fly it in at an cost of XYZ to you.

Unless you work in government, defending shoddy and unobliging service is unacceptable, there is a way of doing anything - tell the customer upfront and let them decide.!

Guest coenie

Coenie, I believe you want a Anthem X frame in Black? Where did you see that the aftermarket frame comes in this colour? The US, Int and UK sites all show the aftermarket frame as being brushed/black (brushed with black logos and details).

Sorry Ghostface I have no idea what you are talking about here?

Guest coenie

Tell the customer theres a XYZ lead time, and if you want it before our shipment arrives via oceanfreight we will fly it in at an cost of XYZ to you.

Yippee someone who understands....

But they said irrespect it is extra.........

Guest coenie

@GrumpyOldGuy, thanks, finally someone who understands. Your watch story is exactly what I am asking for. I am not asking for special treatment...all I wanted was a frame that is available here in a colour that is NOT available here.

@Andyr249, whish I could, but like Mampara already said, there goes the warranty AND the paint is NEVER the same as the original paint is baked.

[quote name='Tumbleweed'

@Tumbleweed, actually there should not BE any extra or transport as I already told the agent that I am happy to wait for the next shipment. So why is it so difficult for them for add another frame to their shipment. Agent said no, they will have to charge extra. What for ?

@20niner please see reply to @Tumbleweed.

What irretates me the most is:

I contact a UK cycleshop and they have what I want, in the size I want it.....cool I am going to order this online...get to shipping.....red flag..."Due to an agreement with our supplier/manufacture we can only ship to UK mainland" What the $%^ why?

I then emailed the supplier and the excuse is that they assign certain batch of serial number to a region, and hence that region should not be able to sell to another region....So I can not get it here, I can not get it from the UK or US or Au....?

But I am sure that ALL the serial number were made in the same factory?

Hold on...I can get it here if I slide my local supplier(not bikeshop) a few extra R's and then they still send it with the next shipment?

What you do not understand is this

1. Local agent does not have frame.

2. Local agent can get frame for lots of "extra" cost ...I want to have a frame added to next shipment thus no extra cost?

3. You are not allowed to buy from any other country as they have signed agreements with the "factory" to only supply that country / state and thus they refuse to ship to you.

4. If you get someone else to pick up the frame / bike for you....that came from the SAME factory as the local agents stock, the local agent does not honor the guarantee.

Come CWC, help us out here.......

3. You are not allowed to buy from any other country as they have signed agreements with the "factory" to only supply that country / state and thus they refuse to ship to you.

But if the manufacturer has certain exclusivity agreements with overseas suppliers then presumably they have similar agreements with SA suppliers. Part of that agreement is that the manufacturer dictates what the supplier is allowed to bring into SA. It could be the manufacturer saying you can't have that colour frame in SA and the supplier has no choice.

Unfortunately a case of limited demand in our market which knocks on to limited supply and higher prices (in general).

The other problem we have is that we are far from the other large markets with virtually non existent neighbouring markets.

And thats the reason why companies like CRC can be more attractive even after paying the local SA duties and vat.

this is a question posed very often in the PC market and more often than not, it boils down to marketshare. How much you spend seems to dictate what you get versus what you want. That market share depends on the per capita income, and the honest truth is: the majority of south africans cannot afford cycling. It's also one of those chicken or the egg stories, where the prices are high cos the demand is low (but i also believe that ZA has a bunch of price fixing crooks at the helm who will maintain prices irrespective of demand).

So it's a case of too many brand, not enough market to divvy up between the brands. So imagine the lowest cost denominator (from the manufacturers perspective) comes into play. Each item sold requires a channel for sales and support. One off items must support that channel, hence the cost escalation. Maybe CWC can break down the costs for us to give us the proper perspective on that bit of drama.