Dear Tread...

EZRider

Thank you for producing an excellent magazine.

It is definitely the premium MTB cycling mag available and I used to look forward to your appearance of the shelves of our local vendor.

I would also like to congratulate you on your sense of humour. At first I failed to understand your wit but through a long and complex journey (I am perhaps a little slow) the punchline has dawned on me and I had brief and heartfelt, albeit expensive, chuckle.

A year ago my wife subscribed to Tread Magazine because we enjoy reading it and the lure of winning that shiny white IBIS was just too great. We waited for our copy to arrive but we may as well have been waiting for Godot - nothing. Two months became four and then six. Still no magazine and we even resorted to purchasing copies from the CNA.

We contacted Tread via email and I spoke to Joanne on the phone. I was told that they had problems with certain subscriptions and were busy sorting it out. A few more months went by, still nothing despite continued queries from our side. In frustration I even mentioned this on a thread in "Rant & Rave" and long time denizen of this site asked me to give up my personnel details so that he could pass it on to Tread with whom he had dealings. I must admit to being hopeful but that was before I was aware of the scale of your prank.

And then... a miracle. Exactly a year after paying my subscription, I received my first, and last, Tread Magazine. Along with a letter reading: Dear L*** D***, As a valued reader of tread magazine we would like to inform you that issue 8 was the last... To avoid missing any issues you will need to renew... at a nominal cost of R180.00

It was obviously within your powers to keep your end of the bargain and get a magazine into my home!

I was puzzled by this whole affair but after some consideration I came up with the following options:

1) You are dishonest. I find this unlikely. I don't think R160.00 is worth a tarnished reputation.

2) You are incompetent. Plausible, but again, I don't think this level of incompetence is possible in a team that manages to produce a magazine of such high quality.

3) This has all been a joke at my expense.

HA HA HA

I get it.

Ray

For the last 2 issues, I have been getting 2 copies.

Maybe one of them was meant for you...

Enjoy splat, 2 copies make for good stereo reading on the loo.

Ray - good luck with this...

And might I add - though, this of course does absolutely sweet blow-all to solving your problems - that yours was/is a refreshing take to the usual rant/vitriol that all-too-often is accompanied with a story like this!

I hope it gets sorted - they couldn't possibly find a more polite-complaint-fully-justified-almost-customer... :)

Consider this a necessary bump to have this seen too!

Speak to Donovan at Tread, I was in the same boat as you and he handled the situation in such a manner that I am punting them again after being quite "de moer in". Look they are the best local mtb mag by a long shot, content wise(no copy and paste articles if you catch my drift) so I am sure he would like to know about this even though your subscription is finished. Best of luck anyway

Distribution is probably the single biggest issue with independent publications.

This has been an ongoing bugbear, Bardy is still in Lindani at the moment or they're on their way back. I've SMSed him to let him know that the thread link has been sent via email.

They'll get you sorted....

Hi guys

Wow, sorry to hear of the hassles, TZmtb. I am unfortunately no longer involved with Tread, I'm making a bit of a duck to that land of earthquakes, rain and sheep.

However, please do accept my apologies, as this did happen during the time when I was in charge so I have to do a bit of a 'mea culpa' there. TZmtb, please PM me so I can see what we can do to make you a happy Tread reader once more.

Cheers

Donovan Jackson

I am unfortunately no longer involved with Tread, I'm making a bit of a duck to that land of earthquakes, rain and sheep.

Tulbagh will be happy to have you. (seriously that's a pity to read, always loved your input here and in the mag)

Hi Ray

I just got back from the bush test riding bikes for the next couple of issues of TREAD and was directed to this thread. Obviously your situation isn't ideal. Unfortunately, it's also not unique. About 10% of our subscriber copies don't reach their destined addressees. And get this, it's not always the same addressees every issue.

That's a high percentage and we've had a proper go at the SA Postal Service about this - on more than one occasion. They can offer no reasonable explanation or solution, which elevates our levels of frustration even more. I've also discussed this with other independent magazine publishers who say they experience a similar non-delivery percentage through the SA Postal Service. Once we are made aware of a problem delivery, we go to great lengths to turn non-deliveries into deliveries, even personally dropping off copies where possible.

However, none of what I've just written changes your situation, although it does highlight the most frustrating part of our role as magazine publishers reliant on an inconsistent postal service. I see Donovan has already committed to assisting you. As the new guy in charge, I will discuss this with him and will do everything within my control to make sure that Issue 8, which you recently received, certainly won't be your last...

Sean

Hi Ray

I just got back from the bush test riding bikes for the next couple of issues of TREAD and was directed to this thread. Obviously your situation isn't ideal. Unfortunately, it's also not unique. About 10% of our subscriber copies don't reach their destined addressees. And get this, it's not always the same addressees every issue.

That's a high percentage and we've had a proper go at the SA Postal Service about this - on more than one occasion. They can offer no reasonable explanation or solution, which elevates our levels of frustration even more. I've also discussed this with other independent magazine publishers who say they experience a similar non-delivery percentage through the SA Postal Service. Once we are made aware of a problem delivery, we go to great lengths to turn non-deliveries into deliveries, even personally dropping off copies where possible.

However, none of what I've just written changes your situation, although it does highlight the most frustrating part of our role as magazine publishers reliant on an inconsistent postal service. I see Donovan has already committed to assisting you. As the new guy in charge, I will discuss this with him and will do everything within my control to make sure that Issue 8, which you recently received, certainly won't be your last...

Sean

Thank you very much.

Ray