Tubeless Tandem??

Mudsimus

Any advice on how to convert a MTB tandem to tubeless? Cant find a conversion kit that's going to work on the broader rims.... Only other option I can think of is to use the Mavic tubeless rims,but they only come in a 32H!

I'm not to sure if the 32H rims will withstand the abuse of a tandem! Will use Ringle hubs.. Will probably use 2.3-2.5 Inch tyres. Any recomendations please...smileys/smiley4.gif

Mmmm ok well here is what you can do !! It works on normal mtb rims and should work on anything else since u can cut it as wide as need be . First tape up rim as per normal (rim tape ) . Then insert a BMX type over the rim . You may need assistance but it does go over . Now cut of the top of the MTB tube . Install tyre , if you haven't got compressor run to garage with bottle of sealant under arm . First inflate dry (no sealant) , bounce tyre around a bit . Deflate , insert sealant , re-inflate . Put on bike and cycle around block 10 times . If the block is small do it 15 times . Pay cheque directly into my account .

Any illustrations DR?! Sounds if it might work, but I'll first try the stans FR option before going DIY!smileys/smiley36.gif

Stans will cost you at least R500 to try !! The other DIY will cost you at most R200 . Sorry I am very kuk with drawing pictrures etc . I have seen something similar on the web once (stole the idea) but that was a few moons ago and got no idea where !

Guest Big H

See below as on Chainreactioncycles.com. STANS make the same type of conversion and also with different width tape tape for different width of rims.

Modder, die link is:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10513

DT Swiss Tubeless Kit XR 4.1/4.1d/4.1c

246.55 ZAR

Turn your DT Swiss rims into a UST (tubeless compatible) setup with this kit. Kit includes: doublesided tape, molded rim strip, tubeless valve, and starter bottle of sealant. With this kit installed you can use the wide range of UST tubeless tires on the market and enjoy increased traction, lower rolling resistance, and best of all, no more pinch flats!
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/10513.jpg

I did a DIY conversion recently and haven't had any problems.

The main criteria is to properly seal the spoke holes and tape up the rim. I used a normal Presta valve and siliconed it into the valve hole.

I still have the original Larsen TT's on.

Oom H - Daai DT Sis goed - moet opas die flooistof word droeg sehr schnell.

Tried the conversion kit and within 1 month liquid latex became reject elastic band material - dried up.

Where we live and ride there are so many duwweltjies it is not wise to even go on the gravel road without some protection. Between the mealie fields you wont do 10km without many of them in the wheels.

My single bike runs on Stan's, but our tandem has tubes with OKO and it works very well. Tyre liners are a waste where there is duwweltjies.