New Bike or SImply Upgrade Existing

lloydkayak

My opinion:

When I wanted to upgrade, I had v brakes and a crap shock. So I wanted disk brakes and a better shock, but getting disk brakes meant I needed new wheels too. I also wanted to upgrade spec. So all in all, it was going to cost quite a bit. For a little bit more I bought a nice, very well speced second hand bike. I guess its all about what is availible. I would say keep an eye out for good second hand bikes.

Im with Rob, I would add another thousand or two and just get a silverback ventura if i was him. You just can't beat that bike for value.

I will have a chat with a LBS soon and see what they could organise regarding 2010 models... who knows maybe I will find something impressive :)

Not in a rush and would rather not waste money... hence trolling used websites :) and not working haha

I have had my current bike for sometime but my new found sport, white water kayaking, has taken preference until just recently.

I want to get back into mountain biking and have some funds around to do some minor upgrading, but now thinking it may be better to buy a whole new bike B)

I am over 100kg and 6f3" ie. big lad and have a Merida Matts TFS 100V with V brakes, deore groupsets a nice large and fairly light frame but what always has bugged me since I bought the bike is the absolutely rubbish Suntour Fork w lockout. I feel its pretty useless in carrying my weight effectively. I don't really feel the need to upgrade other components as I quite enjoy the bike.

At the moment I really only do relaxed cross country riding with my girlfriend but we are picking up our riding and will probably start doing more challenging stuff soon. I have noticed a major difference in her rock shox air fork on her tiny silverback dakota(decent I would say).

The Question:

Is it worth finding a used fork on this website to chuck onto my current bike (There seems to be a manitou minute for a good price) or do I rather fork out R5000 or so again and get something like the Silverback Nabraska thats currently available in the classefieds section??? :blink:

Final question : If I do decide to upgrade the fork, what specs must I check to see that it fits... totally clueless here

Thanks in advance

Lord Kayak!!

My manitou sounds just right for you...and it has a 245mm steerer....see my ad!!

ciclismo... great fork... unfortunately it doesn't seem to have V brake bosses

**** good point sorry - thought you had the option to go disc.....then I recommend making an offer on ONETIME's s-works HT :P

Howzit,

For what it's worth, I'm going through the same debate at the moment. I currently have a GT Avalanche 1.0 hardtail that I love, but I've recently had problems with the brakes and I could do with a new fork (got a suntour X100 that does the job for now).

After much searching on Chain Reaction, I've seen that I can spend a few thousand at a time and upgrade the low-specced components in my own time. I'd love to do everything in one shot, but the nice thing about upgrading is that you can search the specials and replace when the opportunity arises.

So my conclusion is that I don't really need a new bike just yet, so I'd rather start getting the best components I can now and then one day when I do buy a new bike I'll just move them over.