Racing ralphs

crasher

I was thinking of getting a set of Racing Ralphs

CRC have the UST version on sale at 430 rand each

Currently using WTB weirwolfs UST which are very solid and punture/damage resistant

The WTB's are just about 800g's each the Ralphs only 650g's

The sale price plus reducing about 300g's of rotational mass makes it very tempting

I was just interested to know from users out there how they found the toughness/punture resistance of the Ralphs to be as the WTB's are pretty bulletproof would like the 300g saving but not at the expense of reliability

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the equation is like this

Go for a piss before you ride and use punture resistant tires cause you will lose the 300g's and you wont have to stop for 5 minutes and repair split tire.

Just my 2c worth

Go for a piss before you ride and use punture resistant tires cause you will lose the 300g's and you wont have to stop for 5 minutes and repair split tire.

Just my 2c worth

This man talks common sense... i agree totally!

jip and I have been on a tire crusade as of late trying to find a nice grippy front tie and have to say those werewolfs grips like s#$t on a woolen blanket.

Just my 2c worth

Yep...something I have been saying for a long time already is exactly that biggrin.gif

300g off rotational mass will make a BIG difference.

Luke, remember that the 500ml(or grams) of pee-pee in you bladder is already moving, but the weight on the outside of the wheel is "amplified" by the force of torque (for a lack of better term). You drive you rear wheel from it's center but the power is put on the ground a long way from the center of your wheel.

Think about it like this:

Stand with your arm stretched out in front of you, palm facing up, for 3 hours.

Now, where would you want the weight of your pee-pee? In your hand or in you bladder?

MaxUmis

100% correct from a scientific perpesctive, but what is the rotational mass of a tire with a 10cm long gash in it?

The answer is the same as the speed of the bike at that point ZERO for approoximatley 5 minutes.

I am not disputing the benifts of weight reduction on a bicycle, but unless the rider is perfoming at 100% of the thier possible output, the best place to improve time/weight is on yourself.Then and only then do savings of 300g come into play. If we were talking about changing a complete bike and saving 1,5-2kgs then it is a no brainer.

I used to buy all the lightest stuff and spend thousands on new technology trying to save and extra 500g only to realise that you cant buy a better time you earn it.

Guys...if we talking about grams, we must not refer to this as the weight...

It is the mass, the weight is a vector and is measured in Newtons, and a direction needs to be specified (although with weight, a direction of towards the center of the earth is implied).

Sorry...I have a thing for physics tongue.gif

Go have a look at the rubena tires at cycle lab! It is light and have decent puncture resistance.

It is also not that expensive at R485 a tire.

MaxUmis

100% correct from a scientific perpesctive, but what is the rotational mass of a tire with a 10cm long gash in it?

The answer is the same as the speed of the bike at that point ZERO for approoximatley 5 minutes.

I am not disputing the benifts of weight reduction on a bicycle, but unless the rider is perfoming at 100% of the thier possible output, the best place to improve time/weight is on yourself.Then and only then do savings of 300g come into play. If we were talking about changing a complete bike and saving 1,5-2kgs then it is a no brainer.

I used to buy all the lightest stuff and spend thousands on new technology trying to save and extra 500g only to realise that you cant buy a better time you earn it.

I do agree that the place where you can save the biggest amount of grams is your own body, BUT saving 300g on the frame/calipers/shifters/saddles/posts/stems of a bike and saving 300g on the outer edge of your wheels are 2 worlds apart.

I have KENDA Nevegal non UST which I am running tubeless with Mavic 317 rims. They dont roll great and they are heavy but they are very cheap and bomb proof...

Had a set of Nobby Nicks on my bike and really liked the grip/traction but they punctured a lot - with big holes that wouldn't seal. I would imagine the Racing Ralphs would be even more vulnerable.

Running Contis now with far fewer issues.

Maxxis Larsen TT was great...had it on the back, very few punctures and good grip on most surfaces I rode...gravel, forest loamy type soil and hard packed stuff.