Remembering the Rapport Tour

Cyclejourno

Hi MariusL. How are you buddy ? Just want to correct you. Anthony has never won the Rapport Tour.The best place for a amateur was 2nd place and that was Hans Degenhaar a stunning rider from WP.

Hi MariusL. How are you buddy ? Just want to correct you. Anthony has never won the Rapport Tour.The best place for a amateur was 2nd place and that was Hans Degenhaar a stunning rider from WP.

Hi Chris - Yip my bad... asked my dad last night and he corrected me as well... Anthony came third (riding for the defence force i think) - and he still has his purple Hansom with bio-pace chainrings :lol:

Will see you guys again when I'm over the flu (I'm missing my wed eve night rides :( )

Get well quickly. You will definitely be missed tonight although I will not be here. Going away for a few days but the ride goes ahead as planned unless we suddenly have plenty rain.

oh my word - the holiday inn - boy were those days fun !!

Holytumblecycle shape shifter like purple rained sympolic prince, what plan are you hatching ?

Thanks for the offer Marius. Let me see if I can find a copy first.

That book is definitely not something you want to get lost or damaged in the post - maybe I'll visit CT for a weekend!

Marius, I found a copy, on loan, from none other than one of the Rapport journalists on the tour - Johann Pieterse. He's also got a few newspaper cuttings that I'm starting to sift my hands through. What a treasure!

Thanks again for the offer.

I asked Johann whether Lappe ever considered writing a 2nd half of the book, covering the tour record and anecdotes not in the book, and he wasn't sure. Wouldn't that be a treasure!

Anyway, got some reading to do!

• 8 years later...

Was feeling nostalgic and found this article

https://mg.co.za/article/2013-03-07-00-the-curious-tale-of-south-african-cycling-1

I like the mention of Basil Cohen, I used to buy bike stuff from his little trading store in Venterspost in the 90s. I was a laaitie paying for my own bike stuff and his shop was a treasure chest, and he always gave me the best deals. At that stage I never knew his part in cycling in SA, yet I have never forgot him.

• 2 weeks later...

If you were still wanting your own copy, google "rapport toer book" and there are a few on sale. 

• 10 months later...