Opinions: XT WH-M775 wheelset vs AC MTB Tubeless

Thomo

My understanding is that the new AM's are true tubeless ... no need for conversion kits.

Slightly heavier than the original version, but a little lighter than the XT's.

Mine are about 4 months old and they have the tubeless tape. Looking at the website: http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/mtbwheels/mtb26nondisc.php those look like traditional j-hook spoke nipples (not screwed into the rim) - I can't see how they are true tubeless. Unless by "new" you mean so new that they aren't on the AC website yet.

I must say - I can't see it - true tubeless rims would be a completely new rim/spoke/hub technology for AC.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have a few sets in stock - as mentioned above for R2900 - but the stock is going down quite fast. 4 sets sold this morning and it is only 9:28!

Have been riding XT's for a year now, 100% hassle free and 100% bomb proof, weigh 88kg and have had no problems at all.

Yes AC's are lighter, but not half as strong.

3 of my mates ride AC's and all have had problems with denting and deep scrathes, and one of them is a 9yr old.

XT's are the way to go.

Some info:

Model Number WH-M775

Series DEORE XT

Wheel front rear

Brake Type disc brake only disc brake only

Freehub Body Type - 8/9-speed compatible

Freehub Body Material - steel

Axle Type Quick Release Quick Release

Over Locknut 100mm 135mm

Axle Length 108mm 146mm

Axle Material aluminum aluminum

Contact Sealing yes yes

Hub Shell Material aluminum aluminum

Hub Shell Finish anodized anodized

QR Skewer Length 133mm 168mm

QR Lever Material aluminum aluminum

QR Lever Finish anodized anodized

CENTER LOCK Rotor Mount yes yes

Rim Type UST UST

Rim Size 559 x 19C (26") 559 x 19C (26")

Rim Material aluminum aluminum

Rim Finish anodized anodized

Rim Height 21mm 21mm

Rim Width 23.3mm 23.3mm

Spoke Gauge/Shape butted (2.0/1.5/2.0) / round butted (2.0/1.5/2.0) / round

Spoke Material stainless steel stainless steel

Spoke Color Black Black

Nipple Material aluminum aluminum

Nipple Color Red Red

Spoke Protector (Option) - CP-WH14/15

Reflector (Option) CAT EYE: RR-550-WUW SW W/O BRACKET (JIP/CPSC), RR-550-WUA SW W/O BRACKET (AS), RR-317-WUA SW W/O BRACKET (DIN)

Average Weight 755g 922g

Recommended Tire 26 x 1.50-2.25 26 x 1.50-2.25

Note Weight does not include quick release or valve stem

American Classic

DISCIPLINE MTB Cross Country

WEIGHT Front 691 gr Rear 795 gr Pair 1486 gr

HUBS Front Disc 130 100mm Rear Disc 225 135mm

BRAKE INTERFACE 6 Bolt International Standard

LOOK & COLOR AC Alphatype White, AC Crest Black

EXTRAS Ceramic Bearings, Titanium QR's, Wheel Bags, 15mm Front Thru Axle Disc Hub

RIMS MTB Disc Tubeless Aluminum 26”

SPOKES AC 14/15 Gauge Spokes Black

NIPPLES AC Aluminum Nipples Silver

32h 3-Cross Front and Rear

Shimano are true tubelss, AC's are 209g lighter and AC are R1160 (38%) more expensive (Shimanos are R3000 on CWC, AC's are R4160 on buycycle).

Tough call but I think I'd go Shimano if I had the choice all over again...

Have had my XT's for several months. So far bomb proof and smooth running. I do know some people have had freehub failures with probelms getting spares from the SA agents. I weigh 83kg and have had no issues with spokes or anything else so far. They also look like they costs a lot more than R3k - which is what I paid. :)

Yip, aware of that thanks.

Also available from Icycling for R2900.

Just a matter of getting enough thumbs up on their performance/reliability vs AC Tubeless.

Wow! What a bargain x2! :D

Is this wheelset a worthy upgrade.?

Or should I steer clear of them.?

Your thoughts/experiences are appreciated.

Would luv some AM Tubeless but they are ±R1000 more.

Or should I see that as R1000 well spent.?

The xt are good wheels but buy them new I used my amc's on Karroo2C and they were great they are fuully tubeless and the weight is 1480 as claimed no conversion tape etc required

I do plan to get my xt hub replaced as they will make for good training and race wheels but the amc's are real beauties and the rear hubs spins effortlessly but for 2900 you couldn't be blamed for going xt

The xt are good wheels but buy them new I used my amc's on Karroo2C and they were great they are fuully tubeless and the weight is 1480 as claimed no conversion tape etc required

I do plan to get my xt hub replaced as they will make for good training and race wheels but the amc's are real beauties and the rear hubs spins effortlessly but for 2900 you couldn't be blamed for going xt

From the AC website:

Component maker American Classic is introducing a new tubeless cross country rim system. The company claims that these wheels are: “A magical combination of light weight as well as strength, stiffness and control.”

The new tubeless rim is light and at 26mm wide by 22mm deep, it is wider, stiffer and supports the tyre better for improved ground control. It is tubeless ready with a 25mm tape and valve, and either a tubeless tyre or a regular tyre with a latex sealer can be fitted.

From the AC website:

Component maker American Classic is introducing a new tubeless cross country rim system. The company claims that these wheels are: “A magical combination of light weight as well as strength, stiffness and control.”

The new tubeless rim is light and at 26mm wide by 22mm deep, it is wider, stiffer and supports the tyre better for improved ground control. It is tubeless ready with a 25mm tape and valve, and either a tubeless tyre or a regular tyre with a latex sealer can be fitted.

The only thing required was a valve and stans I watched the tech fit the tyres the rim has smooth finish on the inside

I can assure you they fully tubeless the 2009 has a rim tape

...some excerpts from a post by Johan Bornman regarding the XT wheelset as I was looking at a pair as well

...However, keep this in mind. A new spoke for that wheel is in the order of R90-00. If your chain overshifts into the spokes, it is 6 x R90-00 before labour. A new rim is in the order of R1000+

Further, some people don't deserve Shimano (cup-and-cone bearing) wheels. They're klutzes with mechanical things and can't seem to figure out when a service is due and when not, thereby destroying the races and ultimately, the wheels....

This made me decide against the wheels.

Rest of the thread can be viewed here https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/83209-xt-freewheel-body-damage-after-120-ks-use/page__p__1151527__hl__xt__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=1151527

I just bought a set of AM classics due to a problem with the xt REAR HUB the problem is trying to find a new hub for my XT's they are bomb proof but if you gonna buy them buy them new. I have only had my XT's for 6 months they were second hand and I was assured they had minimal mileage. The XT rim has a strange hub and spoke system . Spokes are also a bugger to come by. If you really cant afford the AM go XT but remember you will need centre lock discs so you're almost at 4k....do wanna buy mine with a dodgy rear hub good price !!!

Seems my previous reply to this one dissapeared of the hub,

There are two trains of thought and also two threads latley covering both these options.

Thread one deals with all the hub problems on the XT (which if you buy them new and under gauruntee should be sorted quickly by the supplier if this happens to you) The second thread deals with the AM Classics bending and buckling quicker than a 2 dolla whore.

I would assume the possibility of getting a set with a replaceable faulty hub, should be a lot less of a concern than having your wheels bend and buckle under you on a outride.

Especially if your more than 80kg.

:( :angry: Fork!

Took my brand new XT's out on their maiden voyage yesterday and it lasted all of 6.8km before something went wrong!

Back wheel is not free wheeling at all and effort must be used to turn the back wheel.

Taking it back to the shop tomorrow, so Ill see what they say.

Thanks RickyBobby, I didnt see that other thread and based on the mainly positive feedback on this thread I was reading yesterday morning, I thought Shimano XT no problem! :(

:( :angry: Fork!

Took my brand new XT's out on their maiden voyage yesterday and it lasted all of 6.8km before something went wrong!

Back wheel is not free wheeling at all and effort must be used to turn the back wheel.

Taking it back to the shop tomorrow, so Ill see what they say.

Thanks RickyBobby, I didnt see that other thread and based on the mainly positive feedback on this thread I was reading yesterday morning, I thought Shimano XT no problem! :(

That's exactly what I was beginning to think.!

In fact, was about to order mine ... :(

Who did you buy from.?

Keep us posted on the return.