LBS - Customer Service

Caerus

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what bike are you looking for?

Silverback Saturn 2011 model, have thought about the Phoenix as well(bit out the price range what with helmet, shoes, and bits and pieces) Just sold an old frame I had for R3000 so will cost me almost nothing :lol: Its for the wife

Crack you seem hung up on 8 speed. Have you heard that 10 speed is now available for MTB's? Technology has moved on and if you are a little patient you might get a German designed Silverback with 10 speed components.

Lets see if they will also do discounts on helmet & other equipment. ;) [/b]

Unlikely, thats where they like to make their big bucks - bike sale normally a loss leader.

fact is 24 wont be phased out but development on those will stop, i.e they probably wont get better or lighter.

Reality with 24 is it no longer appeals to the those that wanna spend big dosh, so no need to make it bigger,better,lighter and more expensive.

Then again, its really only 3 components on the bike that are solely 24spd domain - cassette, chain & RD shifter.

I got a 24spd and my chainset, while only meant for 24spd, is fitted to many entry level 28spds.

I got a 24spd and my chainset, while only meant for 24spd, is fitted to many entry level 28spds.

Those pain meds may be fiercer than you think...

Crack you seem hung up on 8 speed. Have you heard that 10 speed is now available for MTB's? Technology has moved on and if you are a little patient you might get a German designed Silverback with 10 speed components.

Ja but at what price. A 10spd chainset is the price of a basic MTB these days.

Not hung up on 8 speed at all, my old GT avalanche that I got while living in the UK was an 8speed. So I was told by this particular bike shop that they were completly phasing the 8 speed out, and that I would have to upgrade to 9 speed. Which is a total lie. Why are new bikes still comin out with 8 speed? So I get told one thing, then I'm told in no uncertain terms would they be phasing out 8 speed as there has to be a bottom end market. Im fully aware there is 10 speed out now, its more directed at the xc racing people, Im not totally convinced with it yet(10 speed) I dont really need an extra 3 gears - 27 gears does me fine, I was also happy with the 8 speed. but as Im now just converted said GT to 9 speed its happy days - The problem I had is that the GT avalanche 3.0 2010 model only comes as 8 speed and reatils at 5k, yet I was qouted 5k for the 2011 model which is now 9 speed, How can they still charge the same price, they refused to give me discount?

Its all good, the wife goes tomorrow to take delivery of her Silverback Saturn 2011 9 speed which is a better specked bike then the Gt avalanche anyway, So it all happy days :D

Just dont like to be lied to, and have arrogant sales people try spin me some bollocks and also change their stories to suit :(

Not hung up on 8 speed at all, my old GT avalanche that I got while living in the UK was an 8speed. So I was told by this particular bike shop that they were completly phasing the 8 speed out, and that I would have to upgrade to 9 speed. Which is a total lie. Why are new bikes still comin out with 8 speed? So I get told one thing, then I'm told in no uncertain terms would they be phasing out 8 speed as there has to be a bottom end market. Im fully aware there is 10 speed out now, its more directed at the xc racing people, Im not totally convinced with it yet(10 speed) I dont really need an extra 3 gears - 27 gears does me fine, I was also happy with the 8 speed. but as Im now just converted said GT to 9 speed its happy days - The problem I had is that the GT avalanche 3.0 2010 model only comes as 8 speed and reatils at 5k, yet I was qouted 5k for the 2011 model which is now 9 speed, How can they still charge the same price, they refused to give me discount?

Its all good, the wife goes tomorrow to take delivery of her Silverback Saturn 2011 9 speed which is a better specked bike then the Gt avalanche anyway, So it all happy days :D

Just dont like to be lied to, and have arrogant sales people try spin me some bollocks and also change their stories to suit :(

Like I always say - If you are a good cyclist, it does not make you a good bicycle sales man! And the LBS' that employe the widgat school lyties..... it just cracks me!

When I approach my LBS, if the youngster is there on his own I don't go in ..... I'll come back when the main guys is there unless I am just collecting something!

When I approach my LBS, if the youngster is there on his own I don't go in ..... I'll come back when the main guys is there unless I am just collecting something!

I went through, three sales people before the store owner came and gave his 2c of rubbish, they all spin the same rubbish(they must ALL go through the same training in how to talk bullsh!t) :angry:

Just on 8,9 and 10 speeds -

I read in a magazine that the new Shimano 10 speed XTR can only run with the new Shimano 10 Speed XTR chain...

I bet in the future we will start seeing more of this...

Once you buy it, you are stuck with it!