Your Cycling Diet

Older

here's a typical day's food for me:Breakfast - 2 weetbix or small bowl of oatsLunch - 6-8 cream crackers, tin of tuna/2 boiled eggs, saladDinner - medium portion of whatever I makeI don't eat bread anymore and even stay away from fruit due to the high concentrations of sugar.I've calculated my basal metabolic rate and train and burn on average 1500-2500 Cal per 2 hour daily workout. Based on what I eat I should lose weight quite quickly.The only thing is i'm not built like a cyclist, i've been a swimmer my whole life and thus have most of my weight sitting on the upper part of my body.

Do yourself a favour and buy mens health or go to their website for tips.

Don't eat 3 meals a day. Rather break them up into 6 smaller meals a day. I'm eating close to 10 meals a day now.

For your training load you should be eating a lot more, so chances are that your metabolism has slown down. The six meals a day will help to pick it up again.

I only train about 4-7 hours a week and I'm still losing weight during the week. (usually pick it up on weekends)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is it possible to plateau at a specific weight after a while because i can't seem to drop my weight any further with cycling. I've added swimming into my schedule now and have immediately lost 2.5kg in 2 weeks. i usually cycle about 12-15 hours a week and have kept to a reasonably strict diet for the last 6 months.

right tonight I am hitting the pool hard :)

here's a typical day's food for me:

Breakfast - 2 weetbix or small bowl of oats

Lunch - 6-8 cream crackers, tin of tuna/2 boiled eggs, salad

Dinner - medium portion of whatever I make

I don't eat bread anymore and even stay away from fruit due to the high concentrations of sugar.

I've calculated my basal metabolic rate and train and burn on average 1500-2500 Cal per 2 hour daily workout. Based on what I eat I should lose weight quite quickly.

The only thing is i'm not built like a cyclist, i've been a swimmer my whole life and thus have most of my weight sitting on the upper part of my body.

You need carbs if you plan on training and improving strenght and speed. Without that carbs you will burn fat but you might end up loosing lots of muscle mass as well. Trust me...you don't want to loose muscle mass. Your diet should be OK for seriously LOW intensity training and always staying in the FAT burning zone. Stay away from intervals and strenght training becuase your bodies glocogen stores will be way to low and your body will start burning muscle. My 50cent :-)

how does sushi fit in with all of this :blink:

I believe that sushi is one of the best diet food out there. Good protein, healthy fats, low cal and very filling.

If you're really serious, skip the fashion sandwiches and go for sashimi. (no rice)

The oily salmon and the good for you fat from avo are wonderfoods.

And then seaweed:

Health Benefits: Seaweed contains the broadest range of minerals of any food -- the same minerals found in the ocean and in human blood, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and iodine.

Seaweed also contains vitamin C, fiber, beta-carotene, and pantothenic acid and riboflavin -- two B-vitamins needed for your body to produce energy.

07h00 1/2 cup rolled oats with 1 cup fat free milk and 4-5 nuts. Or, 2 eggs and 1 slice of toast.

09h45 1 fruit + 2-3 nuts.

12h30 Soup, veg or salad, 2x slices bread, 120g lean meat, 2 fruit.

15h00 2 fruit.

19h00 soup, 120g lean meat, veg, fruit or pudding.

Coffee with fat free milk throughout the day.

30-50g carbs per hour extra on the bike.

Keeps me at 68kg.

You need carbs if you plan on training and improving strenght and speed. Without that carbs you will burn fat but you might end up loosing lots of muscle mass as well. Trust me...you don't want to loose muscle mass. Your diet should be OK for seriously LOW intensity training and always staying in the FAT burning zone. Stay away from intervals and strenght training becuase your bodies glocogen stores will be way to low and your body will start burning muscle. My 50cent :-)

looks like i should up my daily intake and eat more meals in a day. I have to do intervals and strength training for the racing season.

Thanks for the advice guys

looks like i should up my daily intake and eat more meals in a day. I have to do intervals and strength training for the racing season.

Thanks for the advice guys

I would also suggest to up your healthy fat intake:

Olive oil

Avocado

Suger free and salt free peanut butter

Nuts

Seeds

Oily fish (Salmon etc.)

Here is the daily recommend intake for athletes training 1-2 hours a day:

Carbohydrates: 5-7g/kg body weight

Protein: 1-2.2g/kg body weight

Fat: 1-1.5g/kg body weight.

Use the minimum amount of each nutrient if you want to lose some weight and vice versa.

Hope it helps!

[Maryke Verster - Sport Scientist]

I'm asuming that would be current body weight?

Best advise,

Go and see a dietitian.Not everyone is the same,so there is no real middle ground that applies to everyone.I went to one because of a stomach ailment.I was send for some blood tests(R3000) later and I now know what is going on in my body.I was anemic,iron count of one.No carbs after 4,only 2 fruit per day,I tend to have a sugar issue.

all sorts of stuff out of balance.

I only ate carbs and trained like a animal.Lost so much weight that My body started on bone marrow for energy,after the fat was devoured!

All this tips about eating in magazines could be dangerous to ones health.Go and see one,will be the best investment you ever make.If you know what's going on in your body,you know what to prevent and how to tune it to perform at its full potential!

Here is the daily recommend intake for athletes training 1-2 hours a day:

Carbohydrates: 5-7g/kg body weight

Protein: 1-2.2g/kg body weight

Fat: 1-1.5g/kg body weight.

Use the minimum amount of each nutrient if you want to lose some weight and vice versa.

Hope it helps!

[Maryke Verster - Sport Scientist]

OK, I must be doing something wrong because I am gaining weight at an alarming rate. Stopped smoking a few months ago, But really that cant be blamed for everything :unsure:

Please work with me and point out my mistake?

If I take the recommended intake and convert it to kj

(I use the lower value as I want to loose weight)

...............................Recommend Intake..Ave kJ per g

Carbohydrates: 5-7g/kg body weight.....430......17......7,310.00

Protein: 1-2.2g/kg body weight..........86......30......2,580.00

Fat: 1-1.5g/kg body weight..............86......14......1,204.00

Total of my ave intake (and I admit it can be more).....10740.00

Less exercise according to HRM...........................2100.00

Total intake for the day.................................8640.00

Balance of kJ...........................................2400.00kj

So in theory my weight should drop like a bucket full of lead as I am already working on weight loss formula from the start. But it does not

no grain foods (bread)

no dairy

no yeast

no sugar

no pork

no preservatives or colourants etc.

Plain and simple : just eat healthy

Best advise,

Go and see a dietitian.Not everyone is the same,so there is no real middle ground that applies to everyone.I went to one because of a stomach ailment.I was send for some blood tests(R3000) later and I now know what is going on in my body.I was anemic,iron count of one.No carbs after 4,only 2 fruit per day,I tend to have a sugar issue.

all sorts of stuff out of balance.

I only ate carbs and trained like a animal.Lost so much weight that My body started on bone marrow for energy,after the fat was devoured!

All this tips about eating in magazines could be dangerous to ones health.Go and see one,will be the best investment you ever make.If you know what's going on in your body,you know what to prevent and how to tune it to perform at its full potential!

Agreed and this would be the best option.

no grain foods (bread)

no dairy

no yeast

no sugar

no pork

Dairy is one of the best weight loss food. Maybe not full fat dairy.

But low fat dairy contains calsium, which is awesome for weightloss and also a good protein/carb ratio for recovery.

Dairy is one of the best weight loss food. Maybe not full fat dairy.

But low fat dairy contains calsium, which is awesome for weightloss and also a good protein/carb ratio for recovery.

low fat yogurt sure is good for carbs

no grain foods (bread)

no dairy

no yeast

no sugar

no pork

What's wrong with pork? I eat pork steaks and there is not an gram of fat (that you can see) on it. Maybe you mean pork chops. And I drink low fat milk and eat low fat yogurt.

What's wrong with pork? I eat pork steaks and there is not an gram of fat (that you can see) on it. Maybe you mean pork chops. And I drink low fat milk and eat low fat yogurt.

And I dont see anything wrong with grain foods (wholegrain bread)