Your Cycling Diet

Older

OK, I must be doing something wrong because I am gaining weight at an alarming rate. Stopped smoking a few months ago, But really that cant be blamed for everything :unsure:

Please work with me and point out my mistake?

If I take the recommended intake and convert it to kj

(I use the lower value as I want to loose weight)

Recommend Intake Ave kJ per g

Carbohydrates: 5-7g/kg body weight 430 17 7,310.00

Protein: 1-2.2g/kg body weight 86 30 2,580.00

Fat: 1-1.5g/kg body weight. 86 14 1,204.00

Total of my ave intake (and I admit it can be more) 10740.00

Less exercise according to HRM 2100.00

Total intake for the day 8640.00

Balance of kJ 2400.00kj

So in theory my weight should drop like a bucket full of lead as I am already working on weight loss formula from the start. But it does not

Hey man, a normal, health guy should be taking in about 3000 calories/day if he's bigish, so nearly 9000kj is clearly the problem here. What the heck are you eating to get that number into your body? Do you clean the tables at McDonalds?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some guys are just lucky they can eat and drink what they want and their weight stays constant others like myself have to watch and ride plenty.

one thing i do know is the older one gets the harder it is to keep those un wanted kilos away.

cornflakes skim milk @ 06h30

fruit @ 10ish

tuna sandwich & fruit @ 1200

fruit @ 15h00

peanuts, beer @ 18h00 ( the reason i ride is so that i can drink beer)

lots of water all day.........

Hey man, a normal, health guy should be taking in about 3000 calories/day if he's bigish, so nearly 9000kj is clearly the problem here. What the heck are you eating to get that number into your body? Do you clean the tables at McDonalds?

2 Low GI Brown bread sandwiches with Ham,Cheese and tomato - no margerine - 900Cal

4 health rusks - 200Cal

4 cups of coffee 1 Sugar - 180Cal

Spagetti bolonaise 2 Cups - 730Cal

2 Glasses of white wine - 140Cal

100g Boiled sweets - 395cal

This adds up to 2545Cal with converts to 10741kJ

Thought of cutting on the cheese and make meat ( poultry etc) with steamed veggies in stead of pasta

O.... and I am not a guy - but I am 1.83m Tall - at the moment I am battling not to be that wide :)

Must have calories and kj mixed up there willehond.

3000 calories (It's actually kilo calorier) equals more that 12000kj

Hi Maryke. I read similar info in the book "Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance". Ideally I would like to weigh a constant 68kgs and therefore would need to eat at minimum 5g x 68 = 340g of Carbs. That would require me to eat at least 14 bananas or a complete loaf of whole-wheat bread. That sounds a bit extreme and I would find it difficult eating anything else after having consumed so much carbs during the day. There will be no space left in my body for other fruit and veggies as well. Also very important is when you eat your carbs because I believe that timing is important. From what I have read it seems that carbs needs to be consumed just before and after workouts because that is when they are most beneficial to the muscle glycogen stores and won’t be channeled towards fat storage.

Your thoughts please and do u think I am correct in my thinking?

Remember that carbs are basically in all foods except for meats. Yoghurt for example has a lot of carbs as well as milk (although they have more protein). Also all sugars are carbs for example fruit juice, sweetened yoghurt, chutney, etc.

Carbs should be in every meal! It should make out about 2/3 of the kilojoules on your plate. 5 minutes before training you can consume a little high GI carbs as this will quickly be transformed into energy your body needs for activity. The hour after training is considered a "cheat hour". You can thus eat anything (just in moderation) and it will be transformed into glycogen that your body needs. However, to speed up recovery it is important to eat something that has a combination of carbs and protein (i.e. a smoothie).

Hope this helps!! If you want more details about nutrition, you should contact a dietitian.

I have heard about and read about this blood-type specific diets. What is you opinion on it. I am A+ and according to this diet, I am not allowed to eat red meat. Now to be honest... I live in the Northern Cape where red meat are in abundance. So I will rather eat myself into another blood-type than to stop eating my favourite steak.

What do you guys think?? Does this blood type diet make any sence?

Must have calories and kj mixed up there willehond.

3000 calories (It's actually kilo calorier) equals more that 12000kj

Phew, thanks! Yes, indeed. I was thinking calories (as people generally generally kCal) as I live in a country where everything is metric except for energy uom on food packaging!

I stand corrected and relieved...

I think one of the main things when on a diet is to be completely honest with oneself.

After I actually made the effort for the sake of this tread to make a list of what I eat a day I only then started to realize how many snacks etc I ate what was not on list :rolleyes:

Well I started to cut the food NOT on list and I think I a making progress. Time will tell. :)

There are many good foods for an athlete such as Tuna, sweet potato and the like. proper food intake is really helpful to an athlete to maintain its body weight.

Any members vegetarians? Do you use a protein shake to supplement protein needs or is their enough (type and variety) in lentils beans etc

I train 2 a day usually triathlon training takes its toll, but anyway, I believe in eating for energy, immune system strength and overall health.

I tend to stay away from dairy a lot, cows are high in hormones, I personally believe its a common cause of breast cancer in woman, strong research has shown this to be pretty close to correct, I tend to focus on organic, natural, free range, and really try for anti-biotic free, I dont eat red meat much, I think u have more medication in there than we take in our lifetimes lol, yes I am a freak.

Ok so here goes, as an example, but i do spend a lot of time in the kitchen and i create a lot of variety this is 1 day out of many.

Wake up - Yerba Mate or Green Tea

Breakfast - Organic Raw Rolled Oats, half organic banana, blueberries, strawberries, half a sliced apple, goji berries linseeds, pumpkin seeds, tsp of raw honey, low fat yoghurt (goats milk, not cows ;-)cows have the hormone issues.

Multivitamins - Veridian Multisport - Its untouchable trust me, Solgar Esterfied Vit C

Mid Morning 1 - Apple, tsp organic sugar free peanut butter

mid Morning 2- Raw Tahina, 2 100% organic rye cracks, and a plum

Lunch - Quinoa, Soya or tuna salad,with chopped chives, baby spinach, rosa tomatoes, dash goats feta, corriander, peppadews

Afternoon - Pear or Apple, (yes organic), wheat grass drink it raw its revolting but good for u lol,

if still hungry maybe a boiled egg

Dinner - Vegetarian Omelette's,

Pre-Bed Snack, low fat yoghurt (goats milk), dash of almonds, some berries, and sweet dreams ;-)

I never fry, I always grill, I dont own a microwave, gas is best, and steaming is brilliant.

As for pre- and post training meals, I use a soya isolate with no sugar at all, as most have MD in, but if its a really hard session, I will switch to one with a 91-9% isolate MD combo, as the MD helps with glycogen replenishment, as for pre-training, no real need, but if I am feeling a little fatigued, well, mmmm u know what my answer is 32Gi - ;-)

I take in at minimum of 2 liters of water with no training included during a day, during training u could add the balance depending on when I train and for how long. So any day could be typically 3 liters upwards.

I love a second cup of Yerba mate in the evening i let it soak all day and it when its cold, its just amazing. A great immune booster and natural fat burner.

Age=39 Weight=68 % Body Fat - 6.2% been there for the past 4 years and not gained or lost, maintained very well.

later guys

Thanks MDW, interesting menu. Question: MD = ?, maybe maltodextrose or something like that?