What do you need in a MTB GPS?

RobMobius

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 GPS's that I use as follows as an MTB'r :-

1) Firerunner 301 - used like a normal bike computer but without needing sensors etc. on the bike. I use the HR function as well. It also allows me to be able to 'trackback' to where I started if I am riding in an unfamiliar area and might be lost. This data I upload to Sporttracks as my training diary. Nice small, compact and is rechargeable for up to 14hrs of use.

2) eTrex Vista (B&W) - has no routing function but I can record tracks and re-use later or pass on to others. Additionally I have used it together with info from Google to plot a new route and then downloaded that info to the GPS to follow. It also provides some additional info that can be useful, e.g. we used it at Sabie Experience to see how much climbing we had done. Useful if you know how much you will be climbing to see how much still left and pace yourself accordingly! I download the maps from GarMap for the area that I will be in. Disadvantages here is that it rather large but I use the standard Garmin mount as shown earlier and have not had any issues (touch wood!). Also uses standard penlight batteries that don't last much longer than about 5-6 hrs.

Don't know if that helps but I tried!

ok' date=' thanks. so as julle nie wil verdwaal en 'n cheaper mapping gps wil koop.

etrax legend cx = color screen
[/quote']

Niks fout met die Etrex Legend Cx nie,, maar as jy nuut koop, kry eerder die HCx wat pas in SA beskikbaar gekom het (goedkoper as jy van VSA bestel).

H = High sensitivity receiver.

Baie beter onder bome en in areas waar die sein nie so goed is nie.

x= SD card (map storage & tracklog)