What do you need in a MTB GPS?

RobMobius

Rob, track4 africa can be downloaded on any gps. You will have the map with the routes. the "point" will follow the track, but NO AUTO ROUTING

Check the Paarl Mountain nature reserve track:

20070910_080501_paarl.JPG

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the proper mtb mount and use my gps a lot. inside the mount you have these rubber spacers and it damp a lot of shock. maybe I'm just lucky. popeye2007-09-10 08:07:51

Wow' date=' Popeye, thats awesome. Are the maps compatible with most map enabled GPS's?

[/quote']

Like all Gamin compatible maps, the T4A maps can only be used on Garmin GPS devices. Same for AfricaTopo.

A bit cumbersome to use if you do not have a Garmin device.

I guess if you had MapSource plus a Garmin map product installed on your PC, you could mark a waypoint and then save to GPX format.

If the software of your non-Garmin device supports GPX, you could then load the saved file and upload to the GPS device.

mountain_lion2007-09-10 08:32:42

do you have 2 pay for tracks4africa

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for... Smile

T4A is not free, but it is cheap (much cheaper than the Garmap products).

It is sold in modules, so you only need to get what you want. See their website (See earlier post).

Add AfricaTopo and you have all the maps you need for MTBing in SA!

Plus, if your favourite trail is not on T4A, record the track and send it to them.

They will add it to the next edition of the map.

T4A Pro is published 3 times a year (you get one free update).

mountain_lion2007-09-10 10:04:54

I got the proper mtb mount and use my gps a lot. inside the mount you have these rubber spacers and it damp a lot of shock. maybe I'm just lucky.

Popeye, that does not sound like the Garmin mount.

Perhaps a RAM mount? Those are much better than the Garmin offering...

mountain_lion2007-09-10 08:15:14

I got the proper mtb mount and use my gps a lot. inside the mount you have these rubber spacers and it damp a lot of shock. maybe I'm just lucky.

Where do you get this mtb mount and what price?

That is the Garmin mount.

Glad it works for you. It has failed for others when used on serious off-road trails. The price has also come down - was R300 when I last looked, but still R200 for a piece of plastic???

That is the same as I have got. Maybe you are just lucky. I only use that mount for the stoker's bars on my road tandem.

Rob' date=' track4 africa can be downloaded on any gps. You will have the map with the routes. the "point" will follow the track, but NO AUTO ROUTING

[/quote']

Popeye, T4A maps can only be uploaded to Garmin mapping GPS models.

T4A is testing auto-routing at present (Namibia and Botswana).

T4A Auto routing is expected to be released during 2008.

Mountain lion, does that mean my etrax cx is garmin mapping.

I don't use it for what it was ment to be use, I just put it on my handlebar follow the routes. Just a help to not getting lost.

otherwise, I don't have clue with the technical stuff.

:-)

RobM i bought a 305 edge in july from Sportsmans for R2999.00 with HR moniter cadence sensor ect ect. Works well on the MTB and on the road bike and they have some neat software on Sports tracks that you can use. Fandacious gave me some good tips and the moubting is also ok on the handlebars. I have had some good shakeups with no ill effect have that rubber mounting under the plastic too . I am stoked with my purchase Big%20smileBig%20smile 

Mountain lion' date=' does that mean my etrax cx is garmin mapping.[/quote']

Popeye

You get 2 types of GPS receivers:

1. basic i.e. only gives you position type information, direction to go to a waypoint etc. Cannot display maps on screen.

2. mapping i.e. it can display a map on the screen and plot your position on the map.

The Garmin Etrex Legend is a mapping type GPS.

The Edge 305 is strictly speaking a basic type GPS (you can't upload maps to it), but it can draw the recorded track on screen, just not relative to an uploaded map showing features like roads, trails, rivers etc.