8 vs 9 vs 10

tazz

I'm currently considering upgrading from 8 speed to 9 speed

?Is there that great a difference

? where do they fit the extra gear high low or in between

? Is it just engineered obsolescence to generate a new market

Surely its all down to ratios, and sweet spots.

However 10 speed is here for mtb, so no reason not to go with that imho if you are fitting new chainset. But that means new shifters and so it goes on.

My 2 cents - when I started cycling again, 8-speed killed me since I knew most others had 9... mental thing, I guess :D

Now that I'm cycling fit again - I'd only "upgrade" in the event that I bought a new bike, that had the 10-speed on as standard...

Each to his own, I guess...

Google it - and you'll find lots of marketing-talk about the advantages of a 10-speed vs a 9-speed... just like I'm sure was doing the rounds when we were all being convinced about the difference between a 8-speed and 9-speed...

[As an aside - don't get me started on the whole 4-blades on a razor issue... :P]

Go for what's current.

And that means 10 speed.

I can understand not upgrading. You won't be any faster after the upgrade, but you may find your bike more "comfortable", as you will be more likely to find a right gear at any speed.

But to upgrade to something that is behind the curve makes no sense to me.

A typical 10 speed cassette is a 12-25, which will have 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25. In the bigger gears (smaller sprockets), the jumps are 1 tooth, which means that you have a good chance of finding a gear ratio that lets you spin at whatever cadence works for you, over a wide range of road speeds.

To cover the same range, an 8 speed cassette would likely have something like 12-13-15-17-19-21-23-25. (Although that is just a guess.)

If your 8 speed works fine then no need to change.

Ask any (older) bike mechanic about 8 speed and I guarantee you they will say the same thing: far less hassle than 9 or 10 speed.

Greater tolerances on the old 8 speed.

..remember this is just my opinion

I'm sure the new 10 speed stuff will work just fine (except maybe in the mud!)

I'm currently considering upgrading from 8 speed to 9 speed

?Is there that great a difference

? where do they fit the extra gear high low or in between

? Is it just engineered obsolescence to generate a new market

I'm on 8spd and was regretting it. Always felt that 9speeders had it better in life.

But then I replaced my original cassette with a better quality 8spd one (HG-50 8spd), wow, what a difference on those uphills.

I then saw that I was still kaking off though, then I checked it was my chainset (48-38-28)!!!!

Just replaced it with a 42-32-22 chainset and wow, no more desire to switch to 9spd as I now have all the gears I want and those uphills are now a joke.

There is nothing wrong with 8-speed. Chains and cassettes are nice and cheap and they last a fraction longer.

Upgrading means new shifters and I doubt whether the whole exercise is really worth it. My mountain bike is still 8-speed and it doesn't stop me riding anywhere. It is just not an issue for me. Others find it very important to have the latest.

When you have these types of desires, ask yourself: "Myself, what problem will this solve?"

If you can't come with a plausible answer that a sane person will believe, don't bother.

Johan, you were gnashing teeth about 11 speed on a thread a while back.

As this seems to be a suitable time to ask, what gets your back up about 11 speed?

I seem to recall reading a long while ago that Shimano had patented up to a 14 speed setup. Isn't this all just part of progress? Ten speed seemed freakishly plentiful when it came out, but now it's pretty much the norm (whatever TF that acshly means). As 11 speed is now becoming sort of affordable for weekend warriors, doesn't that mean 12 speed is just over the horizon?

Why not just invent a continuously variable transmission for bikes and have a torque sensor shift steppless through a infinate amount of gear ratios. - (Think Nissan Murano)

I don't recall gnashing teeth about 11 speed? Did I?

But now that you are enquiring. What problem does it solve? What is the benefit and to whom?

My point in this particular post was that the OP will not find any tangible benefit by spending money to gain one extra gear. It wasn't an issue of escaping from an obsolete system (like say finding a solution to a 5-speed cluster he cannot source) but a question about benefit. There are none worth the cost and hassle.

If you are buying new, buy whatever the current mainstream technology is (not bleeding edge 11-speed) but if you already own a bike, ride it, don't agonise about another gear.

My car has a four-speed auto gearbox. I see Merc does a 7-speed one. What am I missing? Shall I upgrade?

Why not just invent a continuously variable transmission for bikes and have a torque sensor shift steppless through a infinate amount of gear ratios. - (Think Nissan Murano)

Uhhh - ja, what he said! ;)

I'm on 8spd and was regretting it. Always felt that 9speeders had it better in life.

But then I replaced my original cassette with a better quality 8spd one (HG-50 8spd), wow, what a difference on those uphills.

I then saw that I was still kaking off though, then I checked it was my chainset (48-38-28)!!!!

Just replaced it with a 42-32-22 chainset and wow, no more desire to switch to 9spd as I now have all the gears I want and those uphills are now a joke.

Agree, geez you must have legs of steel to have ridden 48-38-28!

I reckon if there was a reasonably high end(SLX/XT/X9 equivalent) 8 speed groupset from Scram/Scheemano there would be a market for it.

..but then NEW IMPROVED must always be better right?...right?

I bow to superior marketing......

My 2 cents - when I started cycling again, 8-speed killed me since I knew most others had 9... mental thing, I guess :D

Now that I'm cycling fit again - I'd only "upgrade" in the event that I bought a new bike, that had the 10-speed on as standard...

Each to his own, I guess...

Google it - and you'll find lots of marketing-talk about the advantages of a 10-speed vs a 9-speed... just like I'm sure was doing the rounds when we were all being convinced about the difference between a 8-speed and 9-speed...

[As an aside - don't get me started on the whole 4-blades on a razor issue... :P]

They make 4 blade razors now - I need to upgrade, will I have to change handle/shifter

Agree, geez you must have legs of steel to have ridden 48-38-28!

I reckon if there was a reasonably high end(SLX/XT/X9 equivalent) 8 speed groupset from Scram/Scheemano there would be a market for it.

..but then NEW IMPROVED must always be better right?...right?

I bow to superior marketing......

You have no idea how *** it was B) and my commute each morning is serious uphill.