Team Barloworld

BMCfan

this is great news for SA AND AFRICA, chris froom is a genuine nice guy with a killer streak and Daryl will be just like mark cavindish in 08....

well done boys,

This clearly means Malcolm will be at the head of affairs again in SA as microsoft new "king to the throne" has abdicated his pursuit of his reign for the foreseable future

AWSUM NEWS!!! great to see daryl will be back in europe!amd froome!waht a talent!hopefully we get our pro tour license next year!

Not sure about the Pro tour bit.  From their website:

We've shown this year that we can impress and get results even without being part of the ProTour. We've chosen the same strategy for 2008."

o ok cool,thanx willehond,but it would still be nice... and i think there may be up to three pro tour teams leaving at the end of the year which opens doors...

Would be nice, but the licence is VERY expensive and as Unibet proved it's pretty useless when the ASO don't like you.  Don't want Barloworld to be caught up in the UCI v ASO crossfire, so I am not sure if it is worth the money.  The Protour seems pretty dead at the moment and I bet the battle will rear it's ugly head before the start of next season.  Might be a good thing to steer clear.

true words those but there are also benfits to the licence... would TBW be willing to fork out to pay for it??its almost worth going back to the old system or a new different system... im not a great fan of the protour system...

Team Barloworld is continuing its innovative recruitment drive for 2008 after the huge success of this season. Team Manager Claudio Corti has decided to continue his strategy of bringing talented young riders to the team and is naturally pleased to have two African riders in the 2008 line-up because the team is sponsored by Barloworld, a major South African company.

African cycling has huge potential and this has been shown in recent year thanks to Barloworld riders Rob Hunter and the promising John-Lee Augustyn.

In 2008 two new riders will wear the red and white Barloworld jersey, with South Africa's Daryl Impey and Kenya's Chris Froome joining the team. Both are young rider who have already shown their ability and obtained interesting results in smaller professional teams.

Daryl Impey was born on December 6 1984 and will be 23 in three months time. He joins Barloworld from the MTN Microsoft team and particularly impressed at the Giro del Capo stage race by winning the prologue and a stage. He is fast and strong on the flat as his size (1.81 metres) and weight (70kg) confirm.

Christopher Froome was born in Nairobi (Kenya) on May 20 1985 but currently lives in South Africa. This year Froome won a stage in the Giro delle Regioni, a prestigious stage race in Italy, and a stage at the Tour of Japan. He also won a silver medal at the 'B' world championships in the time trial held in New Zealand. He is an eclectic rider who has also done well in mountain biking.

"Cycling needs to find new faces and new talented riders and that's our strategy at Team Barloworld. We're convinced that by inserting talented young riders in our already successful team, we can continue to achieve even more excellent results in 2008," Team Manager Claudio Corti said.