Carbon Fibre

Capcha

Sounds about right... Been to a company that makes carbon yacht masts, carbon stored in -25degree freezer and masts made in high pressure moulds (think they are baked as well, but not completely sure).

Without a very well designed mould, how could you get the stem and shifter/brake mounting points the correct diameter without any imperfections which might lead to weak points?

Was the original post actually related to making a bar or just a random question about a bar?

More to do with where can he get the carbon fibre from:lol:, for himself. Easy to make the mould, make a mould of a bar thats already on the market, then reinforce more where needed

More to do with where can he get the carbon fibre from:lol:, for himself. Easy to make the mould, make a mould of a bar thats already on the market, then reinforce more where needed

Just make sure you use the correct fibre orientation in each layer. Whacking a couple of sheets of UD carbon into a mold will result in disaster, no matter how good your mold, autoclave, material and laying technique is.

The issue with working with Carbon or any material that takes stress is that they need to be constructed using the optimal method. Loads of carbon parts made to take stress are made in a special machine called an autoclave. this machine reduces air between the weave, creating lateral and structural strength.

My opinion, besides the cool factor of making your own stuff, dont mess with something like bars or frames, have you ever had a carbon bar break in a ride, well i have and it's not a pretty sight.....

I made some carbon bits for cars, it's hard work for the effort required.

good luck if you do go for it let us know.

I think must Carbon bike components are made using a vacume mold, the little bubles of air cause weak points

I think must Carbon bike components are made using a vacume mold, the little bubles of air cause weak points

Correct, just to clarify a point ie 3K or 12K , this pertains to the weight or size of the strands used to make the cloth ( 12K ,fewer heavier strands, while 3K will have more lighter strands) 3K is also more expensive per metre.This explains why 3k is a much finer looking fabric, carbon needs to be under tension in the mould ,as this literally doubles the strength, difficult to replicate at home.

3k or 12k refers to the number of fibres per "bundle". Bundles are then weaved together to make up a sheet. 3k means 3000 fibres ber bundle. Thats why the weave appears coarser on frames mede with 12k cloth.

Just watched the "how its made " on dstv and how they make a carbon fibre hockey stick, the layers of carbon fibre are ironed together(with a household iron) with the weves goin g in differant directions then parralel and so forth, to get the desired thickness and presses together with a heated roller forcing out all airbubbles. it is the baked in a heated press to bond it all together after the shape of the stick head is cut out - What are the chances of that being explained today, lol :lol: Love these shows

Just watched the "how its made " on dstv and how they make a carbon fibre hockey stick,

Proper hockey or that excuse for a fight that the Canadians enjoy in winter?

Nope I am buying the bars, its just Im worried it may crack or break on the ruff stuff. So not sure about its strength thats all

I'm sure it will be ok. I'm currently using a 3K carbon flatbar that I got second hand. I'm rather hard on my bikes and haven't had a single problem with it. I'll probably be selling it soon to replace it with KCNC though :D

must be the canadian thing. Proper sticks use other materials like kevlar and aramid in the composite mix as well. I have yet to find one that I cant break tho :D

Yeah what the Canadians & Americans play