Another cyclist Killed...When will it stop??

Capcha

good morning all

the rider was OLIVE KNIGHT a personal friend of mine .

the very sad part is that the driver of the car was suspected of being drunk and to top it .... HAS NO DRIVERS LICENCE...

The driver was given a ONE THOUSAND RAND FINE FOR DRIVING WITHOUT A LICENCE......

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A terrible thing to happen make no mistake, but not unexpected or surprising quite honestly, in answer to the original question, it will never stop. We as cyclists act in the exact same manner as drivers, we are disrespectful of the rules of the road as well as fellow road users and whilst I'm in no means pointing fingers at the driver or cyclist in this particular tragedy, until we all learn to share the road, this will continue to occur.

We as cyclists I don't do enough, we don't advocate our sport/past-time in an aggressive enough way, we don't stand up for our rights as road users. To the best of my knowledge, there is no group that is working towards a cycling-safe South Africa, and if there is a group, they're not doing much to inform cyclists. We just have to look at other city's around the world to get an idea of advocacy is carried out, with mass rides for example to highlight the rights of cyclists and force local government to respect those rights.

It was a terrible, senseless incident that I hope will at the very least will lead to road-closure for next years event.

My heart goes our to her family and friends.

good morning all

the rider was OLIVE KNIGHT a personal friend of mine .

the very sad part is that the driver of the car was suspected of being drunk and to top it .... HAS NO DRIVERS LICENCE...

The driver was given a ONE THOUSAND RAND FINE FOR DRIVING WITHOUT A LICENCE......

So sorry to hear of this tragic loss of life, especially the loss of your friend too.

Was the woman that did this not arrested at the scene and taken to jail? Or just fined and sent on her way in the car she was driving for being an unlicensed driver?

Here is the article from the Natal Witness:

Woman racing cyclist dies after being hit by car

11 Oct 2010

Thobani Ngqulunga

A WOMAN cyclist died after she was struck by a car while competing in the Time Freight Midmar Notts Road Race yesterday.

Vanessa Jackson of ER24 said Alice Knight (54) of the greater Durban area was knocked off her bicycle as she turned into the Midmar Dam entrance and sustained multiple fatal injuries.

Jackson said a Toyota Avanza cut in front of Knight on the R103 at the entrance to the dam, knocking her down with “extensive force”.

“The event paramedics rushed to the woman’s aid, who had suffered extensive trauma throughout her body. They immediately started CPR on her, and an off-duty ER24 advanced life support paramedic who was in the vicinity at the time took over the scene.

“They did everything that they could, resuscitating the woman for almost an hour, but her injuries were too severe, and she was declared deceased at the scene,” said Jackson.

She said cyclists who witnessed the incident also stopped to offer help and support.

Police spokesperson Warrant Officer Joey Jeevan confirmed the incident. “Alice Knight was knocked down by a 38-year-old female who does not have a driver’s licence.”

She said that although the woman was not arrested, she has been charged with culpable homicide and for driving without a licence.

“At this stage circumstances surrounding the incident are still being investigated and the woman will appear in court shortly,” said Jeevan.

Members of the Burg Wheelers Cycling Club, who organised the event, were not prepared to speak to the media, saying they needed to consult Knight’s next of kin before making a statement.

A terrible thing to happen make no mistake, but not unexpected or surprising quite honestly, in answer to the original question, it will never stop. We as cyclists act in the exact same manner as drivers, we are disrespectful of the rules of the road as well as fellow road users and whilst I'm in no means pointing fingers at the driver or cyclist in this particular tragedy, until we all learn to share the road, this will continue to occur.

We as cyclists I don't do enough, we don't advocate our sport/past-time in an aggressive enough way, we don't stand up for our rights as road users. To the best of my knowledge, there is no group that is working towards a cycling-safe South Africa, and if there is a group, they're not doing much to inform cyclists. We just have to look at other city's around the world to get an idea of advocacy is carried out, with mass rides for example to highlight the rights of cyclists and force local government to respect those rights.

It was a terrible, senseless incident that I hope will at the very least will lead to road-closure for next years event.

My heart goes our to her family and friends.

Aaaagggg FFS....

Can we....as a bunch of Hubbers.....JUST $(*I$ ONCE....not bitch and moan and NOT state the AGE OLD DEUR GETRAPTE "we as stupid roadies that break rules and do not advocate enough and BLAH DIE F$(% BLAH deserve to die"

Just pay homage to a fallen road worrier that enjoyed her last moments on earth doing something she loved.

My condolences to the family.

I hope the fuel price rise to R5000 a liter!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Aaaagggg FFS....

Can we....as a bunch of Hubbers.....JUST $(*I$ ONCE....not bitch and moan and NOT state the AGE OLD DEUR GETRAPTE "we as stupid roadies that break rules and do not advocate enough and BLAH DIE F$(% BLAH deserve to die"

Just pay homage to a fallen road worrier that enjoyed her last moments on earth doing something she loved.

My condolences to the family.

I hope the fuel price rise to R5000 a liter!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

First off... I certainly did not say "deserve to die", seriously that's outta line. As for the rest... when would be a good time to talk about the safety of cyclists and advocacy in general? Would tomorrow be better? Only problem with tomorrow is that the fires dies a little, today people are galvanized into action, people want to help or do something (well should want to help or do something) thanks to the raw emotions of a terrible death, but tomorrow, well things don't seem as important and so are forgotten.

As for paying homage... I cannot think of a better way to pay homage to someone than by working towards eradicating the very reasons that caused her death in the first place!

I was told by someone who was there that the motorist refused to stop for a marshal, she actually said she "doesn't stop for cyclists", this is the attitude we should all be working to change and I'm pretty damn sure the fallen cyclist would only be too pleased to lend her name to.

I did not know the deceased , but share a common bond being cycling.Whatever the circumstances and whose fault it was no one deserves to die in circumstances like this.My condolences to her family and friends.

Personally I think the owner of this vehicle should be charged as well. How & why is an alledgedly intoxicated person that claimed she "doesnt stop for cycllicts" let behind the wheel. Its seems she drives without a license on a frequent basis, if she claims such things. Possibly having to drive whos car this, as they are probably drunk as well. This woman needs to be named and shamed i'm afraid. Also what kind of speed would she have been driving at for such extensive injuries? They need to make an example out of this woman :angry:

I am so sorry to hear about the loss, my condolences. I hope the family find comfort in the lord.

The driver must be locked away for life.

The driver automatically gets charged with culpable homicide, normally police detain you first until the detective get's involved, then the detective himself charges you officially, remember police can detain for 48hrs without charge. There is absolutely no way the driver will not see jail time here.

when would be a good time to talk about the safety of cyclists and advocacy in general?

When?

Yesterday.

To whom do you need to talk?

The authorities, i.e. government and Metro.

Do they care?

No.

this is the attitude we should all be working to change

So change it on your own time and IN YOUR OWN THREAD. This thread is to pay homage........

I you want, I can create one FOR YOU......

And IF and WHEN you did create this thread (As per previous 5 million before you) please let us know the following:

• What is your game plan in changing awareness
  • How to approach and discuss issues with Government
  • What must we as hubbers, that represents about 3% (discussed in another forum) of SA cycling, do to change all this?

I wish you luck!

As a note.....put some nude pics and jokes in your thread because hubbers are more prone to concentrate on that than cycling safety!!!!!!!