NCR: FFS!!! another killer speeding driver

slowpoke

Soz for the slight offtopic Slowpoke, but it's topical:

if everyone is against speeding, and admits that human failings lead to abuse of speed, and the results of that abuse is something tantamount to murder, then why not just pull the ultimate trigger on fitting all cars in ZA with speed limiters set to the national speedlimit. End of damn story.

Soz for the slight offtopic Slowpoke, but it's topical:

if everyone is against speeding, and admits that human failings lead to abuse of speed, and the results of that abuse is something tantamount to murder, then why not just pull the ultimate trigger on fitting all cars in ZA with speed limiters set to the national speedlimit. End of damn story.

It is a great idea but that still means you can go 120km/h in a 60 zone.

It is a great idea but that still means you can go 120km/h in a 60 zone.

Just like the taxi did this morning on a solid while line on a blind corner, cause I was driving at 60km/h, and gave me the finger. Thats another story all together :angry:

oh yes, here comes the flaw finding. The obviousness of that is irrelevant. It's the mindset change it forces on drivers that can have a trickledown effect. Reality is, you lookign to mitigate the majority risk and live with what is acceptable. that's life. But we can't bitch n moan and not do something drastic. I'm interested in other options though, but something concrete and telling has to be done.

Wouldn't surprise me. Hot hatch drivers are idiots (yes, I'm generalising, and I feel perfectly justified in doing so).

Not generalising at all. There is only one reason why people by these cars, to speed. A few months ago I encountered a group of hot hatch drivers on the N14 past the Pine haven garage. They were Seats and Golfs (so basically all VWs) without number plates. They were driving about a car's length from each others bumpers at about 140km/h. I thought they were filming "I can like to be faster and furiouster then you can be 10".

Not generalising at all. There is only one reason why people by these cars, to speed. A few months ago I encountered a group of hot hatch drivers on the N14 past the Pine haven garage. They were Seats and Golfs (so basically all VWs) without number plates. They were driving about a car's length from each others bumpers at about 140km/h. I thought they were filming "I can like to be faster and furiouster then you can be 10".

You will always find a few idiots somewhere along the line which will change other peoples perspective to think all owners of fast or powerful cars drive like twats, not all of us are like that.

I wouldnt exactly say that all hot hatch owners drive like pricks, its the few that ruin it for the rest of us. Same can be said for BMW owners, range rover sport owners and the list goes on...

Coming back from Cape Town 2 years ago I got overtaken by an ML63 and a Jeep SRT8 at 200+km/h just before 3 Sisters. I still caught up to them eventually in Bloemfontein, no real time gain at all as they had to stop at every fuel station to fill those massive tanks.

Same question can be asked, what do they buy those big powerful cars for, to speed?

I'd be lying if I say I have never sped in my life before, I have and all of us have at some point or another. I bought my car because I love the car, has ample overtaking power should I find miss or mr daisy travelling along at 90km/h in the fast lane on a 120km/h highway. Those are the people that cause a lot of accidents and ignite the road rage in the rest of us.

People buy cars for their own reasons, some to speed some because they love the car and it has what they want, what they end up doing with it is their perogative. It take all kinds to make up society, some know how to behave and some dont, some show respect for others and some dont.

I think that the lightie and/or parents of the lightie must be fined a lifetime of paying the loss of income to the family of the guy who was killed - yes it will not bring the guy back but I am sure that if this starts happening, people will take more responsibility for their actions. It will also alleviate the financial burden that is now left for his family to deal with.

All to often they 'show remorse' and get off with a lighter sentence - that has taught the person to lie and still get off easy.

You will always find a few idiots somewhere along the line which will change other peoples perspective to think all owners of fast or powerful cars drive like twats, not all of us are like that.

I wouldnt exactly say that all hot hatch owners drive like pricks, its the few that ruin it for the rest of us. Same can be said for BMW owners, range rover sport owners and the list goes on...

Coming back from Cape Town 2 years ago I got overtaken by an ML63 and a Jeep SRT8 at 200+km/h just before 3 Sisters. I still caught up to them eventually in Bloemfontein, no real time gain at all as they had to stop at every fuel station to fill those massive tanks.

Same question can be asked, what do they buy those big powerful cars for, to speed?

I'd be lying if I say I have never sped in my life before, I have and all of us have at some point or another. I bought my car because I love the car, has ample overtaking power should I find miss or mr daisy travelling along at 90km/h in the fast lane on a 120km/h highway. Those are the people that cause a lot of accidents and ignite the road rage in the rest of us.

People buy cars for their own reasons, some to speed some because they love the car and it has what they want, what they end up doing with it is their perogative. It take all kinds to make up society, some know how to behave and some dont, some show respect for others and some dont.

In principle you're quite correct, it's the driver who kills, not the car. Everyone has a story where they've driven at double the speed limit (I've done 180km/h in an 80km/h zone in an Aston Martin DB9), and inevitably that leads to a discussion about responsibility and context (mine was in perfect visibility up an open double-lane mountain pass with no other vehicles around). The problem is that context is a fuzzy, vague thing. What one person regards as safe, another deems downright risky. What one person regards as moral, another deems downright evil. That's why laws exist, they create a shared definite and solid line which everyone is compelled to comply to...

It's still my opinion though that the *majority* of hot hatch drivers are pr!cks, these vehicles tend to attract a person with a certain mindset and world view, simple as that!

Edited by Martin Hattingh

In principle you're quite correct, it's the driver who kills, not the car. Everyone has a story where they've driven at double the speed limit (I've done 180km/h in an 80km/h zone in an Aston Martin DB9), and inevitably that leads to a discussion about responsibility and context (mine was in perfect visibility up an open double-lane mountain pass with no other vehicles around). The problem is that context is a fuzzy, vague thing. What one person regards as safe, another deems downright risky. What one person regards as moral, another deems downright evil. That's why laws exist, they create a shared definite and solid line which everyone is compelled to comply to...

It's still my opinion though that the *majority* of hot hatch drivers are pr!cks, these vehicles tend to attract a person with a certain mindset and world view, simple as that!

"It's still my opinion though that the *majority* of hot hatch drivers are pr!cks, these vehicles tend to attract a person with a certain mindset and world view, simple as that!"

Being a hot hatch driver I dont disagree with you, its the vast majority that ruins it for the rest of us. HOWEVER, same can be said for M3 drivers, 135 drivers, 335 drivers, C63 drivers, SL65 drivers, SLK55 drivers, WRX STi drivers, bla bla bla bla... we can go on for hours and get nowhere with listed fast cars.

As in one of my previous posts I said it comes down to respect for one's self and respect for others.

I agree with you 100000% why laws exist however you always get a twat who thinks they clever and wrecks an innocent family or families lives.

I know Im not a twat on the road but if others think I am because of the car I drive, its not an issue to me... just look at those "other" fast cars on the road too as I mentioned above. Just because they cost more than the hot hatch doesnt necessarily mean they are more of a man and have more responsibility or compassion for other road users. They are just as much of an idiot on the road as anyone else and run out of talent sooner or later.

Maybe Im wrong but I feel an individual should be judged and not a majority, it would be like me saying all woman are *** drivers OR all cars advertised that say one lady owner from new instantly means the cluth is F#$%ed.

first my condolences to the family of the deceased.my father summed it up when i was trying out for my drivers licence in Mosselbay 26 years ago.there used to be a shop that sold toys called the novelty shop.as we were driving my father said you must only remember 2 things when it comes to driving a car.

1.regard all other roadusers as fools.

2.a car is not a toy.if you want a toy go to the novelty shop and buy a toy.remember a car can kill you.

Sure it might sound simplistic but it has kept me safe for 26 years of driving.

I agree that it is not an accident when a speading overloaded unroadworthy vehicle driven by a poephol is involved in an accident,just like i hate it when they say eg a vehicle has overturned.bs it was a poephol doing something stupid as cars do not just fall over.

again my condolences.

"It's still my opinion though that the *majority* of hot hatch drivers are pr!cks, these vehicles tend to attract a person with a certain mindset and world view, simple as that!"

Being a hot hatch driver I dont disagree with you, its the vast majority that ruins it for the rest of us. HOWEVER, same can be said for M3 drivers, 135 drivers, 335 drivers, C63 drivers, SL65 drivers, SLK55 drivers, WRX STi drivers, bla bla bla bla... we can go on for hours and get nowhere with listed fast cars.

As in one of my previous posts I said it comes down to respect for one's self and respect for others.

I agree with you 100000% why laws exist however you always get a twat who thinks they clever and wrecks an innocent family or families lives.

I know Im not a twat on the road but if others think I am because of the car I drive, its not an issue to me... just look at those "other" fast cars on the road too as I mentioned above. Just because they cost more than the hot hatch doesnt necessarily mean they are more of a man and have more responsibility or compassion for other road users. They are just as much of an idiot on the road as anyone else and run out of talent sooner or later.

Maybe Im wrong but I feel an individual should be judged and not a majority, it would be like me saying all woman are *** drivers OR all cars advertised that say one lady owner from new instantly means the cluth is F#$%ed.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have said "simple as that!" at the end, because it isn't. You're right, it's unfair to judge an individual, unfortunately the reality is that the majority does determine the statistics, which is I guess how the perception is created in the first place and from that stems judging of the individual. An endless loop!

I'm pretty sure you're not a twat, twats don't reason logically like you do, in case you were still worried about that :)

Maybe it all comes down to the ability to own something dangerous without having to prove that you'll use it responsibly. In another thread, there was talk of limiting vehicles, sending people on advanced driving courses, etc. All these things (although not practical or foolproof) represent thinking in the right direction... As it stands, it's possible to drive an incredibly dangerous weapon (whether it be a R300k hot hatch, a R600k performance saloon, a R1m sportscar or R5m supercar) without at any of these levels applying any validation to whether the handler (driver) of the weapon has the skills, responsibility or simple common sense to do so. This is what needs to be addressed as we advance. Ideally, technology should stop a kid without any experience from occupying the driver's seat of an M3, just like it should stop a blind 85yr from starting any vehicle which doesn't have autopilot, or someone convicted of drunk driving from driving any vehicle at all. This could be done via biometrics, implanted RFD or a myriad of other appropriate technologies... Science fiction? Yes, but I reckon good long-term thinking.