saddle question

werner J

Guys doing stage races. What is your opinions on saddles? I am buying new bike, and want to fit best saddle from the start.

Werner

Saddles are like chicks....

Some like skinny....some like fat....

Green, white, black

Weight MIGHT be an issue some like them heavy.

Plastic or lether coated.

All boils down to personal taste. :D

And never forget about a good pair of shorts. But a well fitted seat can help with bad quality shorts but good short will never help with a saddle that is not comfortable.

A bit of advice with saddles would be that a thickly padded one might not always be the best because they can cause chaffing. A well fitted saddle is better then a thick spongy one. I also 100% agree with Mampara. Spend the extra cash on shorts and you won't regret it. Sorry I can't help with any particular saddle- I ride Sella Italia SLR for road and am very happy.

Edited by cosborne

And to proove a point to werner J, I used to ride a Selle Italia SLR like cosborne and it hurt my in all kinds of weird places....especially after 3 hours riding....

Switched back to Fizik and all good...

Each to his own! ;)

Saddles are pretty individual-specific. If you Google any type of saddle you find a whole lot of people who really like it and also people who tried it and hated it.

To make things more difficult, most LBSs don't have demo saddles for you to try out before you buy one.

I dont understand why someone does not provide a proper saddle fitting service, over and above the try it before you buy it principal.

Much like you get your feet checked by an orthopod you could do a similar process to scan the pressure points while riding your bike and then make adjustments to saddle position or try different saddles.

Any one wish to invest?

I dont understand why someone does not provide a proper saddle fitting service, over and above the try it before you buy it principal.

Much like you get your feet checked by an orthopod you could do a similar process to scan the pressure points while riding your bike and then make adjustments to saddle position or try different saddles.

Any one wish to invest?

Specialized has an Ass-O-Meter for this reason. On the back of the ass-o-meter there is a chart so you can adjust the measurement for your handlebar drop (if your handlebars are low, your pelvis is more rotated, which affects the size.) I recommend you find a dealer and try it.

Some stores used to allow you to swap saddles after a week (provided it wasn't scratched) -- dunno if any stores still do this. The problem is that sometimes you have to break in a saddle, and this takes time.

The most important aspect is to get your sitbone width measured (ischial tuberosities). Both Specialized and Bontrager have a device for measuring sitbone width. Thereafter it is essential to get a saddle sized for your sitbones. While this doesn't guarantee immediate comfort, especially if it is a well-designed saddle that puts you squarely on your sitbones, it is a major step towards avoiding long-term discomfort and health issues. Often a good saddle leaves the rider with tender sitbones for a while as the tissues get accustomed to bearing the load, but in the long term this is a small price to pay for avoiding erectile disfunction and other health issues among men, and perineal discomfort and tissue damage among women.

Specialized has an Ass-O-Meter for this reason. On the back of the ass-o-meter there is a chart so you can adjust the measurement for your handlebar drop (if your handlebars are low, your pelvis is more rotated, which affects the size.) I recommend you find a dealer and try it.

Some stores used to allow you to swap saddles after a week (provided it wasn't scratched) -- dunno if any stores still do this. The problem is that sometimes you have to break in a saddle, and this takes time.

Yes thats kind of what I'm talking about, except at a higher level. I have seen it done here in Switzerland

and used with sucsess by athletes that comepete in the RAAM.

The shop Velo Plus do a computer analysis while you ride and recommend which type of saddle is best for you, and then another analysis with the recommended saddle installed.

They also manufacture custom saddles designed specifically for your personal anatomy if you cannot find a comfortable one.

I can post a link but unfortunately it's in German, but if you use google you should be able to translate the web pages.

http://www.veloplus.ch/service/zusatzinfos/info_individuellersattel.asp

http://www.veloplus.ch/pdf/fachinformation/sitzkomfort2010616153159.pdf

Sorry for the hi jack werner.. Was wondering if there are any spez dealers in Pretoria that have sit-o-meter thing to measure the distance between your tuber ischiadica (sit bones). Because been through a few saddles now but cant quite get one thats comfortable, and am tired on spending money on saddles i buy use for a month or two then move on to the next Due to comfort issues lol

FIZIK, youll never look back

I looked elsewhere. The R1000 Arione was terrible but R800 Aliante was okay. My ass is perched on R300 house brand now and will never change.

Look at SDG Ibeam post and Bel air saddle. Mine has lasted 5years, is very light and comfier than anything else I have ridden. That said as others have posted - it depends on your bum design which one wil work for you. You can also try changing saddles every second day to avoid da bumb taking too much strain in one area

FIZIK, youll never look back

Yeah, but which Fi:zik?

I rode an Arione for a while, and it was never right for me.

The Aliante was a lot better.

Currently riding a narrow Pave, which is better yet, but I think it's the fact that the Pave is the right width for me that makes it work.

As for the expense of trying lots of different saddles, that's what the Hub classifieds is for!