Knee Cap pain

Hi

Can anyone help me. I suffer from pain on the inside front of my knee cap. The pain is not deep in the knee cap it almost feels as if it is just under the skin. It usually occurs about 1,5 hours into my ride especially when doing hills and starts off at first just feeling like a numb pain but gets a lot worse afterwards. It can then last for about 5 days after excercise and is really irritating. I have been to three physio's but no help as yet.

I need help from anyone that has had the same type of pain and has somehow had it fixed.

Thanks.

Personally I think it has to do with setup. I just had my bike rebuilt and am having the same issue on the inside of my right knee.

Hello,

I trained quite hard in July and as a result I got a similar pain as you described. I would have to stay off the bike for it to go away and it hurt like hell just while I walked. Nearly collapsed in the middle of some isle in PnP.....kinda.

I went to a physio, picked on off the internet and although he seemed quite nice he seemed to have missed a basic test. He told me I had weak glute muscles hence all the other muscles were overcompensating and putting strain on the knee. I had to do some exercises to strenghten them but that just didn't happen - those muscles are the most unpleasant to exercise.

So I went for a set up. My muscles and my whole body had been compensating indeed but for a slightly different reason. My left leg seems to be a tad shorter (boo hoo). I know have a shim under my cleat. I've ridden a couple of times since then and all seems to be OK. No pain.

So I'd suggest go get a set up. I would recommend you go to a Specialized fitment centre/someone qualified to do their fitments.

If this is happening when you ride your bike constantly, your seat might be too low.Had the knee problem on the Sani2C, could harldy move my knees on Day 2. It was my setup, so after adjusting the seat height it never re-occured for the next 2 Sani's. I also started drinking loads of Horlicks a day before an event or race which also somehow helps.

You gonna have plenty guys telling you what to do. I had exactly the same thing and now I ride pain free. I don't know what exactly helped but it was all a combination of the following. Firstly get your set up checked. Secondly I was told that because I was hitting the hills too hard too early before I was conditioned to do so my outer thigh muscle was too strong for my inner thigh muscle (vastus medialli i think) This caused my knee cap to mistrack so it was rubbing where it shouldn't be. Also a tight ITband was compounding this. So what I did at gym was short pulse leg extensions with legs almost straight bending only 10deg or so with toes pointed out. This works the vastus med. Then lots of ITB stretching. I also take 1500mg of MSM every day. I may be talking *** but i felt your pain and i'm ok now.

............ I may be talking *** but i felt your pain and i'm ok now.

You only know how to talk *** and I doubt if you wil ever be ok.... :P

You only know how to talk *** and I doubt if you wil ever be ok.... :P

GDJF!! I am going to petrol bomb your Spaniels.

If this is happening when you ride your bike constantly, your seat might be too low.Had the knee problem on the Sani2C, could harldy move my knees on Day 2. It was my setup, so after adjusting the seat height it never re-occured for the next 2 Sani's. I also started drinking loads of Horlicks a day before an event or race which also somehow helps.

Can be a lot of things and only a pro setup, pro doctor/physio, pro training program tailored for your fitness level and some luck will help you solve this.

That being said, the most obvious reason for knee pain (front) is a too low saddle.

so try raising your saddle a mm at a time. (even after a pro setup). A setup can get you more or less where you need to be, but i have found that making small adjustments from there is still necessary as each individual is different.

my 2 cents.

If the pain is in the front of knee, your seat post is to low...up it with ½ inch.

Also try not to push to heavy gears....

Thanks to all who have given advice.

I will use it and I think it could very well be a combination of many factors. My knee cap tracking must be a bit off as it clicks during free movements (ie, no pressure). I have made my seat higher but will add a few mm and also need to strengthen my other muscles (glutes, etc)

Thanks again. I am very frustrated as I cant ride more than 30km even though I feel i can easily do 60km.

Hi

I am suffering from the same symptoms as you. I injured my knee during a fall and now my knee clicks when doing normal everyday things. It absolutely kills me when I run. I can do a 1:30hr ride before it starts to agitate me so at least I am still on the bike.

You either have Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Chondromalacia. Check this link http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/knee_injuries/a/knee11.htm

As a Personal Trainer I understand the severity of this condition. I really would recommend that you don't ignore it because you are basically wearing away the cartilage on the inside of your knee with the friction caused by the mall tracking. This could lead to Arthritis.

I would recommend that you first check your bike set up and if that doesn't help seek out a good physio to properly assess the problem. My scenario is a little different from yours in that I injured my knee but if your symptoms have just appeared then it is probably bike set up or a biomechanical problem such as weak Glutes, Vastus Medialis, Abductors, Hip Flexors or Rotated Pelvis.

I'm having exactly the same problem...my right knee-cap will ache just under the skin when hitting a hill early in the ride or 40-60min into the trail. will check the seat height.....

Edited by bak2basiks