Controversial cycling safety statement

rudi-h

You can use an ipod, but make sure the volume is low enough for ambient noise. or use one earphone only.

My Teac in-earphones are very dangerous. Even if they are not plugged in, you do not hear anything around you, very dangerous.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And what's happening if on a "a easy sunday afternoon ride (off-road, slow pace, well within my technical ability and on trails that I know by heart)" , a dog suddenly jumps out of nowhere and surprises you without your helmet and you unfortunately crash?

my point: you'll never know when you actually need your helmet boet!

And what's happening if on a "a easy sunday afternoon ride (off-road, slow pace, well within my technical ability and on trails that I know by heart)" , a dog suddenly jumps out of nowhere and surprises you without your helmet and you unfortunately crash?

my point: you'll never know when you actually need your helmet boet!

Put your hands out really quick :thumbup: , Tuck & roll. You may as well always wear a helmet when u surf as well, Just in case you may bang your head on your board or maybe hit the reef or a submeged rock, Should my mate have been wearing sunglasses to protect him from his surfboard when he lost his eye by having it speared out by the nose if it? - Where do you draw the line . I say do what you like, it your choice. As long as youre not endangering anyone else.

for if the plane crashes!

And thats a parachute in his back pack. :D

When i started cycling i hated a helmet and used to train with a peak cap and only wear the helmet for races but got used to wearing one everytime i cycled and have had 3 occasions to be thankful i did.

If I'm doing a training ride, or know that I'm going to be giving it hard, I usually wear a helmet. If I'm riding to the shops and back or along the beachfront, basically an easy ride somewhere, then I don't wear a helmet. At the end of the day it is my choice, and it's a choice I'll pay to answer for, not anyone else, so personally I think if someone doesn't want to wear a helmet then that's up to them. Though I do believe it should be law for anyone under the age of 16 to wear a helmet regardless of the type of riding they doing.

Dont get me wrong, If im training offroad or doing a race I'll always ride with a helmet( I hate it though) It about not being stupid, and havin some common sense sometime. Something we seem to have lost or be loosing somewhere along in our evolution as man :o I'll always ride to the shop or along the beach with no helmet, no matter what any health & safety twit tells me - Its my choice

I also have the music turned down enough that I can still hear it, but hear more whats going on around me. By jumping onto pavements is more an endangerment then not wearing youre helmet.

I was shown a program for iphone yesterday, you set the sound monitoring threshold and anything above that threshold is amplified and comes through the earphones. Pretty neat :)

Not wearing a helmet is not only arrogant, it's selfish - it's not about you and your head, it's about the family members that should not have to look after a vegetable.

It's very simple.

Each of us is individually rational and sensible.

Everybody else, however, is a cretinous future organ donor.

There. Sorted. Admin, you can lock the thread now, it's finished.

Not wearing a helmet is not only arrogant, it's selfish - it's not about you and your head, it's about the family members that should not have to look after a vegetable.

So was everyone arrogant & selfish before it was made compulsary to wear a helmet in a race :unsure:. God there must be a lot of selfish & arrogant people around then - I very much doubt it. Its all about me and my head, why not wear a helmet when driving your car then, or walking down the street. We may as wear a helmet whenever, whereever, whatever we are doing. As Bikemonstor just said, we are all individuals that can make our own minds up.

Edited by Caerus

Why shout at the guy if he doesn't want to wear a helmet. I see it very easily.. You take out the weakest links. Same with parents who let their child run around in the car. Let them both die. Stupid parents=stupid children. Take out the weak gene pool and the world will be a better place.

Why shout at the guy if he doesn't want to wear a helmet. I see it very easily.. You take out the weakest links. Same with parents who let their child run around in the car. Let them both die. Stupid parents=stupid children. Take out the weak gene pool and the world will be a better place.

Thats just ridiculous, where must one draw the line then? What sports should or should not have a helmet worn? Just goes to show the complete arrogance & mindlessness of some cyclists, those same people moaning cause someone is not wearing a helmet, are the same people that are riding two abreast and with no lights on there bikes at night, riding on pavements.

If you ride without a helmet you have ROCKS IN YOUR HEAD. Sure, it's your rocks, your head so no-one else's business how you protect it but just remember it's your family who is going to mourn or have to look after you when things go wrong.

There are enough factors that you have no control over when out riding to not ignore the ones that you can.

Anyway hope you never have to learn this lesson first hand.