Controversial cycling safety statement

rudi-h

Well, I'll advise you to go and look at the statistics. The top guys in extreme sports like kayaking etc, all either die or get seriously injured if they continue to do what they do, the way they do.

There is a saying in the financial world: You get bold traders and you get old traders, but you don't often find an old, bold trader ! This you can extrapolate to extreme sports as well.

And your background would be what? A degree in being a ?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is young & naive? Im 33, or isthat still young - Oh so brilliant one. Whats a helmet gonna go when hit by a bus, not much really. Helmets are only designed from a "Safety Perspective" to absorb a small amount of the force, not too completly stop your head from becoming squashed Yeah they taught me plenty.

from where I'm sitting, that's fairly young, relatively speaking!

It's like a safety belt on a car it might not make a difference, but when it does it's the difference between life or death.

A helmet is the same, often it might not protect you but equally it could save you. The head is the most susceptible body part to severe trauma! Talking from first hand experience.

The argument about extreme athletes not using protective head gear is a load of crap, I've worked at events with or alongside some of the world's top extreme athletes. The majority of them wear protective head gear.

Climbers

Freeriders

FMX

BMX

Skateboarding

Skydiving

Adventurers

It's very simple.

Each of us is individually rational and sensible.

Everybody else, however, is a cretinous future organ donor.

There. Sorted. Admin, you can lock the thread now, it's finished.

That is such a selfish statement, who are you to tell admin when to lock a thread!? I don't care if you are rational and sensible I have the right to be ignorant and a totally reckless because I have personal rights and a keyboard and I reserve to type whatever I want whenever I want!!! Now get over yourself and leave my organs alone...angry.gif

It's like a safety belt on a car it might not make a difference, but when it does it's the difference between life or death.

A helmet is the same, often it might not protect you but equally it could save you. The head is the most susceptible body part to severe trauma! Talking from first hand experience.

The argument about extreme athletes not using protective head gear is a load of crap, I've worked at events with or alongside some of the world's top extreme athletes. The majority of them wear protective head gear.

Climbers

Freeriders

FMX

BMX

Skateboarding

Skydiving

Adventurers

Funny I never mentioned one of those extreme sports, maybe one :o

Besides the fact that wearing a helmet is apparently law. ....

Where exactly? Only on public roads I'm guessing right? So unless the owner/organiser states it, most mtb trails would have helmets as optional right?

So what is young & naive? Im 33, or isthat still young - Oh so brilliant one. Whats a helmet gonna go when hit by a bus, not much really. Helmets are only designed from a "Safety Perspective" to absorb a small amount of the force, not too completly stop your head from becoming squashed Yeah they taught me plenty.

Yes, a cycle messenger in New York got run over by a bus, and survived extensive head injuries because of his helmet.

One of our pro ladies survived going under a trucks wheels during a training ride, she survived because of her helmet.

I was hit by 4x4 at pace many years ago, the only reason I am sitting here is thanks to my helmet doing it's job.

A helmets job is to absorb impact, which can and does make that bit of difference to your melon being squashed.

Where exactly? Only on public roads I'm guessing right? So unless the owner/organiser states it, most mtb trails would have helmets as optional right?

Not as far as I know, wearing a helmet being law that is. Its not in the UK or in SA, I know for sure in OZ it is.

Not as far as I know, wearing a helmet being law that is. Its not in the UK or in SA, I know for sure in OZ it is.

Well, it is actually the law in SA, I'm just trying to clarify where it applies

Yes, a cycle messenger in New York got run over by a bus, and survived extensive head injuries because of his helmet.

One of our pro ladies survived going under a trucks wheels during a training ride, she survived because of her helmet.

I was hit by 4x4 at pace many years ago, the only reason I am sitting here is thanks to my helmet doing it's job.

A helmets job is to absorb impact, which can and does make that bit of difference to your melon being squashed.

It is only desined to take so much impact, its not like a motorbike helmet is it? Im not saying wearing a helmet is not going so save your life, and as Ive said I wear a helmet when I train & race. Not saying it also doesnt do a job its not supposed to do either - Maybe re read what Ive said then comment

Well, it is actually the law in SA, I'm just trying to clarify where it applies

Can you prove it to me, or at least show me where is says it? For bicycling that is, maybe for a quad biker or motorbike :unsure: . Im not saying youre lying I would just like to see proof. I do stand to be corrected on this.

Ok I stand corrected, just read this http://www.arrivealive.co.za/pages.aspx?i=540

Edited by Caerus

I think you'll find that most MTB trails stipulate that helmets are to be worn and are not optional.

I think you'll find that most MTB trails stipulate that helmets are to be worn and are not optional.

So if if im not on a road then I dont need to wear one?

Can you prove it to me, or at least show me where is says it? For bicycling that is, maybe for a quad biker or motorbike :unsure: . Im not saying youre lying I would just like to see proof. I do stand to be corrected on this.

Ok I stand corrected, just read this http://www.arrivealive.co.za/pages.aspx?i=540

National Road Traffic Act, 1993(Act No.93 of 1996).

Law

National Road Traffic Act, 1993(Act No.93 of 1996).

Law

Thanks, I checked it out before this. Thanks anyway :clap: I did say I stand corrected ;)

So if if im not on a road then I dont need to wear one?

No you are not required, similar to an MX bike does not need roadworthy, indicators, break lights and all the other stuff but as soon as you are on a public road your vehicle as well as yourself become bound by the public rules and laws of that road.