Controversial cycling safety statement

rudi-h

A few days ago I went for a ride around the block to test my gears which had just been adjusted. On the way past my gate my wife and 3 year old daughter were just getting home. I carried on around the block, on turning into my street again I could hear the loud screams of DADDY DADDY DADDY. I arrived at my gate an pulled in.

My daughter said to me "I'm calling you daddy"

I said "Yes, my baby I can hear you from up the street what is wrong?"

She replies "You are very naughty daddy, you are riding your bike without a helmin on, go to the wall and fold your arm"

I didn't say anything - she was right - short trip long trip always wear your helmin you never know what is waiting around the corner.

Helmin = Helmet LOL too cute.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ride without a helmet you have ROCKS IN YOUR HEAD. Sure, it's your rocks, your head so no-one else's business how you protect it but just remember it's your family who is going to mourn or have to look after you when things go wrong.

There are enough factors that you have no control over when out riding to not ignore the ones that you can.

Anyway hope you never have to learn this lesson first hand.

As there are no factors when I go surfing, yet there are rocks underneath me, rocks on the shore, other people and there boards, Fisherman casting there sinkers at us.

Ive been converted - Im going to wear my cycling helmet when I surf this afternoon, and forever then. Then while Im down at the beach I'll start to lobby for all the jet skiers, Kite boarders, paddle skiers, canoeists, knee boarders to all start wearing a helmet. Come on

As there are no factors when I go surfing, yet there are rocks underneath me, rocks on the shore, other people and there boards, Fisherman casting there sinkers at us.

Ive been converted - Im going to wear my cycling helmet when I surf this afternoon, and forever then. Then while Im down at the beach I'll start to lobby for all the jet skiers, Kite boarders, paddle skiers, canoeists, knee boarders to all start wearing a helmet. Come on

Well with a bit of luck the shark will bite you on your head and your helmet will save your life - versatile little critters those helmets are.

Well with a bit of luck the shark will bite you on your head and your helmet will save your life - versatile little critters those helmets are.

Please remind me to laugh, Should I send all the other extreme sports people around your for a lesson in humour. Same thing me saying I hope you get hit by a car this weekend while out riding, maybe the helmet will help, maybe it wont.

Dude you are way too sensitive today - chill a bit

Dude, Im not havin ago at you or anyone else for that matter. Its just common sense. Everyone seems to want to have a go at me, making smart arse comments about this and that. As to why you should wear a helmet when riding, all im saying is, is why? Where must one draw the line with any sport or recreation. Its just seems some people maybe sit on there brains more then thinking about things logically. Maybe thats just the Engineer in me :unsure:

one cannot know when you will need that helmet

after falling and seeing the cracked helmet, knowing it could have been your head..............

easy decision for me

[ive been converted - Im going to wear my cycling helmet when I surf this afternoon, and forever then. Then while Im down at the beach I'll start to lobby for all the jet skiers, Kite boarders, paddle skiers, canoeists, knee boarders to all start wearing a helmet. Come on

Good work I'm glad you've wisened up.

one cannot know when you will need that helmet

after falling and seeing the cracked helmet, knowing it could have been your head..............

easy decision for me

I fully see the benefits of wearing one, done get me wrong. Ive landed on my head before and took off the skin on one side of my face. Had cat scans the works, still hasnt changed my vies that its a personal thing. It also doesnt mean youre stupid, selfish or arrogant cause you dont want to wear one

Caerus I think you just summed it up, it is a personal preference, nothing more nothing less.

I would just like all the people saying this and that to go and speak to people that do other extreme sports and find out their views as to why they dont wear helmets. Im also going to start wearing my helmet when I drive from now on. :lol:

Well I **** you not I saw a chick driving a car last weekend when we were on our way to the Satellite wearing her cycling helmet - she looked like she was on her way to Cycle Lab for their morning ride, wouldn't be surprised if she had her shoes on as well.

This guy takes it to the extreme

I can see the headline "only survivor as planes crashes into Everest at full speed" :o

So happy riding all :D Helmet or No helmet. Just rememeber if its dark have a light and no cycling side by side, and use hand signals :thumbup: Be safe out there :clap: