Spruit crash

perry

I saw the ambulances arriving as I finished my trail run near Fratellis on Conrad Drive, they were hanging around as they had been given GPS co-ordinates, but these were not sufficiently accurate and were actually about 4km away from the scene. Herein lies a lesson for us all, if you ever have a crash make sure the people you are riding with have the presence of mind to get exact GPS co-ordinates off your Garmin to give to the emergency response operator. Another reason its worth it to spend the cash on an Edge 500 or 705, IMHO.

Hope Gary makes a complete recovery.

The guy is a good mate of mine, Gary. He went over the handle bars and landed on his back. He had no backpack on and I think the tools, phone etc in his back pocket did damage. He has broken his lower back in 2 places and is having surgery on Thursday. He has feeling and movement in his body but can not walk or sit at this stage. Doc's say he should make a full recovery but he will be out of action for 8 weeks and may not be able to ride again! Will keep you posted. Thank you to everyone who stopped and asked if you could help etc. We believe a number of people have been injured on that same jump, so take it carefully. Please keep him in your thoughts over this tough time.

Hi Merak im glad to hear Gary will be making a full recovery, Yea it didnt look good when i saw him thought he had broken his colar bone or something long the lines. That jump he hit you can see that someboday has been making some changes to the lip of the ramp.

Send my regards and wish him luck on the operations.

The guy is a good mate of mine, Gary. ... Doc's say he should make a full recovery but he will be out of action for 8 weeks and may not be able to ride again!

get well soon, gary - and really hoping you'll be back on the bike :(

Gary, I hope you get well soon.

As far as I know it happened just after the muddy section by Old eds, on the section where it dips down steeply and you go up the jump on the other side. There is a reason there is a chicken jump to the ride of the main jump because if you do not know what you are doing or go to fast the lip kicks up your back wheel and you go over the handle bar (happened to me once, luckily only a bruised ego)

It sucks to fall and hurt yourself, and I wish Gary all the best for his recovery.

That said, I just hope that nobody goes and starts making a scene about obstacles on the Spruit being too dangerous for cyclists, and trying to get them removed.

The trail/free ride scene in Gauteng is just starting to recover from the last time someone got hurt and started trying to sue everyone in sight. These are the first new features in a long time, I am super stoked about them being there.