morewood kwela 29er

Eldron

I saw UK rrp and it was a little more than the 26" version and the 26" version was around R6500 I think so there abouts and thats in the Niner EMD price bracket - tough competition me thinks.

RRP is $850 on www.vitalmtb.com

R6,000 is a bit hefty in my books - won't sell well in SA I dont think.

Anyone know howuch it weighs? I can't find the info anywhere....

I have a zula and love it to bits.

But do you think morewood is moving too far away from what put them on the map in the first place? Initially they made great hand built bikes in Maritzburg, now it seems like they farming out all the hardtails to the east.

Dont get me wrong, not parting ways with my Zula for a very very very long time, its an awesome machine. I just think they've gone a bit mainstream and that loses some appeal.

However, it is cut throat business out there and by them expanding their model range is a way for them to make some more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have a zula and love it to bits.

But do you think morewood is moving too far away from what put them on the map in the first place? Initially they made great hand built bikes in Maritzburg, now it seems like they farming out all the hardtails to the east.

Dont get me wrong, not parting ways with my Zula for a very very very long time, its an awesome machine. I just think they've gone a bit mainstream and that loses some appeal.

However, it is cut throat business out there and by them expanding their model range is a way for them to make some more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Always a bit of a tough one this - I'm comfortable with Morewood having only fabrication done in the east but the number of new Morewood frames suggests that they're starting to pick frames from catalogues rather than do full design and testing.

The Zula is a good exmaple - we saw test frames in Bicycling with the editors taking them out for a spin. The newer models are just apppearing which suggests to me that Morewood and co. took a trip to the east, pointed to a catalogue and said 40 of those please.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for Morewood making money from a well created brand - I do however draw the line at sticking a Morewood decal on a generic eastern frame and calling it a Morewood*

*I may be completely off the mark here and Pat and co. design and test each frame comprehensively before approving manufacturing in the east. Hopefully someone at Morewood is reading this and will clarify...

Always a bit of a tough one this - I'm comfortable with Morewood having only fabrication done in the east but the number of new Morewood frames suggests that they're starting to pick frames from catalogues rather than do full design and testing.

The Zula is a good exmaple - we saw test frames in Bicycling with the editors taking them out for a spin. The newer models are just apppearing which suggests to me that Morewood and co. took a trip to the east, pointed to a catalogue and said 40 of those please.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for Morewood making money from a well created brand - I do however draw the line at sticking a Morewood decal on a generic eastern frame and calling it a Morewood*

*I may be completely off the mark here and Pat and co. design and test each frame comprehensively before approving manufacturing in the east. Hopefully someone at Morewood is reading this and will clarify...

Agreed 100%

I got the 2010 Zula, which like you said had dozens of prototypes before the final product was approved and went into production.

It is a worry that they are coming out so quickly with all these new additions and does make one wonder if they perhaps chose it from a catalogue and in fact never did the proper R&D.

Like I said before, really happy with my choice and would'nt change it for the world. I just hope that @ morewood they realise why people were so eager to buy the bikes and keep that boutiqe appeal thing going instead of gaoing to taiwan and placing orders.

I got the 2010 Zula, which like you said had dozens of prototypes before the final product was approved and went into production..

Good choice - it was voted best High End (>2500GBP) in the XC Full Suspension category by What Mountain Bike in the UK...

"quite simply on of the best 4" travel bikes we've ever ridden" they said!

Goooooo Morewood!

Zula, I still think they're staying true to their original roots of fantastic hand-built machines. They're still doing all their DH/FR rigs in house, by hand. That was the original area of business for them, and I don't think that they'll be giving up their mark of hand-built quality on that side of things.

However, business being business, they were wanting to expand into different areas of MTB'ing, in order to get a bigger footprint in the marketplace. This meant that they would have to expand into different supply and manufacturing areas for the new bikes, as expanding that fast and that far, whilst retaining the same "hand built" moniker for ALL their frames was just a step too far if they wanted their quality and attention to detail to remain. Farming out the production on the "new" frames, whilst still keeping their "hand built" approach on the core of their business seems the right thing to do, and I think they have to be applauded for doing so. In addition, they would have had a wealth of experience to draw from overseas. HTereby giving us the best of both worlds.

Yes, we might not like it, but hell... At least we have a home-grown legend providing us with stunning bikes. And they're still all designed in house by our friendly Maritzburgers...

NICE!

now for the decision - tallboy or kwela 29er?

Santa Cruz - Blaar :thumbdown:

How Schweet is that Moorewood :wub: - Single chain ring too, been playing with that idea! Kinda Multispeed Singlespeed.

BAD choice of FORK. :angry:

as long as they don't do what Specialized, Merida, Canondale and the like have done in the past. And that is to bring out Makro-specials. At R4k for a hard tail frame, you'll get the one or 2 that will put deore on it, but my guess is that most will go for the XT/X9 or better type of spec on these.

Zula, I still think they're staying true to their original roots of fantastic hand-built machines. They're still doing all their DH/FR rigs in house, by hand. That was the original area of business for them, and I don't think that they'll be giving up their mark of hand-built quality on that side of things.

However, business being business, they were wanting to expand into different areas of MTB'ing, in order to get a bigger footprint in the marketplace. This meant that they would have to expand into different supply and manufacturing areas for the new bikes, as expanding that fast and that far, whilst retaining the same "hand built" moniker for ALL their frames was just a step too far if they wanted their quality and attention to detail to remain. Farming out the production on the "new" frames, whilst still keeping their "hand built" approach on the core of their business seems the right thing to do, and I think they have to be applauded for doing so. In addition, they would have had a wealth of experience to draw from overseas. HTereby giving us the best of both worlds.

Yes, we might not like it, but hell... At least we have a home-grown legend providing us with stunning bikes. And they're still all designed in house by our friendly Maritzburgers...

Fair point.

Like I said above, business is business and they needed to entrench themselves in the marketplace and perhaps by farming out work, it was their only way to step up the production process in order to meet the demands of consumers etc.

I suppose what I want to know is how are the 'farmed out bikes' desinged and tested? We all have seen the prototypes for the zula and their new split pivot bike, but as far as the kewla 26, 29 and the new carbon bike goes, we have just seen the final product. This implies catalogue buying on their side, which I obviously hope is'nt true.

Im sure the full suss rigs will continue to be built in maritxburg by hand and with all the love that they have always been built with.

add this to the decision process....

Hmmmm :unsure:

Apparently they appear to be genetically related !! :blink:

Do they print the stickers in the same factory ??

Well posted there Mr. ichnusa.

Although I really do not see how one can compare a tallboy with a moya?

Kinda like comparing a Hummer with a Nissan x-Trail. :huh:

Is this fact or your opinion?

The reason I ask is that I'm a huge Morewood fan and would hate for them to go the Silverback/Raleigh root and reduce themselves to catalogue choosers.

I'm sure the FR/DH stuff will always be done in house but if they're swamped by 100 off the peg eastern offerings they'll lose their Home Grown appeal...