Late entries

Harry Potter

Pleas tell me why one has to pay R100 additional for a late entry, what are the extra R100 for? Your late entry did not do anything to influence the route. They did not have to print you an extra number specific for that day, or now due to your late entry they had to go and look for some extra marshals.

If this was discussed before pleas link me

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They had to make sure if there is enough water and drinks along the road and at the finish.

Also to avoid last minutes troubles (running out of numbers, time etc)

It's to teach you a lesson to be sure to enter on time next time.

They can't haul you over their laps now , can they ? :lol: :lol:

Truthfully, I think it covers admin costs, damn there is money to be made in admin.

I think the main reason is to discourage large numbers of people from making late entries. It is really important for planning to get a good idea of how many people you'll be dealing with before the day of the event.

If only you perform a late entry when the field is, say, 500 people, it's not a train smash. They only need to have a table and attendant to process you entry, they just need one extra number, they can conveniently seed you into any start group and it does not effect their catering.

What happens if 100 people decide to do a late entry? Now, right at the last minute they need to deal with a queue of 100 people, they probably won't have enough numbers, their start groups and seeding will be messed up, they'd likely need to make extra groups which means extra marshalls and a longer time for them to be on the route and they may well run out of drinks etc. at water points. These could well add up to extra costs.

The Jacaranda race was pre-entry only and they ran out of water at two points, so I don't think that's the reason.

It's because the organisers can. R100 is a bit much though.

They had to make sure if there is enough water and drinks along the road and at the finish.

Also to avoid last minutes troubles (running out of numbers, time etc)

Ok, 100 late entries on the day before race, day the extra R10000 will cover this? What is the Race entry for then? And I doubt that on a race like the OFM their would only be 100 late entries

My wife decided that since the kids will be staying at ouma for the day, she might as well enter the short distance (OFM 39km). But to pay R175 for a fun ride is outrages and she did not enter at all.

I think the main reason is to discourage large numbers of people from making late entries. It is really important for planning to get a good idea of how many people you'll be dealing with before the day of the event.

If only you perform a late entry when the field is, say, 500 people, it's not a train smash. They only need to have a table and attendant to process you entry, they just need one extra number, they can conveniently seed you into any start group and it does not effect their catering.

What happens if 100 people decide to do a late entry? Now, right at the last minute they need to deal with a queue of 100 people, they probably won't have enough numbers, their start groups and seeding will be messed up, they'd likely need to make extra groups which means extra marshalls and a longer time for them to be on the route and they may well run out of drinks etc. at water points. These could well add up to extra costs.

That is why I keep saying we need a Nationalized Seeding system.

You get your seeded number in the beginning of the year, which you can use at any races!

No need for the organizers to worry about seeding riders in groups, printing numbers and all the rest.

And no need for us do drive 50+km the day before an event to collect a stupid number!

Ok, 100 late entries on the day before race, day the extra R10000 will cover this? What is the Race entry for then? And I doubt that on a race like the OFM their would only be 100 late entries

It may not be a matter of cost only. The organiser now has to go, on a Saturday, to find extra drinks etc. for catering. They may need to organise extra medical services. They probably have to get extra Metro Cops for marshaling. If the resources are actually available, they will likely cost more than normal. If you want something done quickly, at the last minute, you generally have to pay if it can be done at all.

I still say the major purpose is not to cover the cost, but rather to get people to think, "Hey, R100 is a whole lot of extra money for me to enter late. I'll do a pre-entry.".

its to encourage people to enter oblivious to the weather conditions on the day... eg if there was a race in jhb this morning and people hadn't pre-entered, nobody would have bothered turning up = big loss to organisers.

Edited by Gumpole

That is why I keep saying we need a Nationalized Seeding system.

You get your seeded number in the beginning of the year, which you can use at any races!

No need for the organizers to worry about seeding riders in groups, printing numbers and all the rest.

And no need for us do drive 50+km the day before an event to collect a stupid number!

Groups are going to be HUGE :blink: unless they do like the Argus and go into double letters :thumbup:

But ja, I agree with the nationalised seeding system, but not the nationalisation of the mines :lol:

or drive 50+Km to fetch an arm band :thumbdown: - One Tonner

Groups are going to be HUGE :blink: unless they do like the Argus and go into double letters :thumbup:

But ja, I agree with the nationalised seeding system, but not the nationalisation of the mines :lol:

or drive 50+Km to fetch an arm band :thumbdown: - One Tonner

Groups wont be that big, there are only 35 000 cyclist on the road during the funride world champs.

The next biggest race in the Cape is probably Die Bruger and that is what 3500 riders? The rest of the funrides there is never much more than 1200 riders - give of take a little, sometimes way less (not weighless)

I think that races should allow a specific number of entries per race. Say the magic number is 1000, close the entries when you've got to the magic number. This encourages early entry and gives you a good indication on the logistics.

I also like being able to enter last minute, but I also understand that there is additional cost as well as a penalty component thereto. The intention is not to rip the riders off, but to rather encourage early entry.

Wording plays an important part.

Rather call the pre-entry the discounted rate, and the late entry the normal rate. The emphasis is then on rewarding early entry iso penalising late entry.

If you receive your number at the begining of the year how would you move up/down the seeding ladder which indicates your batch start. Some riders starting out are capable of improving in leaps and bounds, it would be unfair for them to wait a whole year to get resseded.

The orgs judge the sizes the groups will be by the pre entries, without indications you will have 20kh cyclists mixed with 45+ cyclists...eish.

Next time you do a big grocery shop, when you get home, take all the bags inside except one, make it the bag with all the little items in.

Then go back and fetch those little items one by one. For good measure lock the front door, car and garage door on each trip.

You will understand economies of scale in processing quite well after that little exercise.