Bike servicing

Garfield2010

Johan I think the point is more that I (and maybe others) am/are tired of paying premium prices for second rate work !!

If I got my bike back from the LBS properly fixed (like my car from the dealership) I would have no qualms paying a premium rate. But alas far to often these days you get your bike back in worse condition than what it was submitted and are still expected to pay top dollar for a **** job.

:clap: Exactly. Like Ive asked before what is the going hourly rate for a mechanic? A person with 1 years experiance or someone with 15 - 20 years experience?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that I think that bicycle services have increased exponentially in price. It is almost like gaining weight. You dont realise it (because you look in the mirror every day) until someone whom havent seen you for 6 weeks sees you again and then says hey, you are fat.

I am that someone. R500 for servicing a bike is crazy. There is only labour involved, no parts. If there is parts involved then you pay for it.

So now once again my question............ how long does a mechanic actually spends servicing a bicycle that is in decent shape?

My point is that I think that bicycle services have increased exponentially in price. It is almost like gaining weight. You dont realise it (because you look in the mirror every day) until someone whom havent seen you for 6 weeks sees you again and then says hey, you are fat.

I am that someone. R500 for servicing a bike is crazy. There is only labour involved, no parts. If there is parts involved then you pay for it.

So now once again my question............ how long does a mechanic actually spends servicing a bicycle that is in decent shape?

You may upset some people for asking the wrong right questions :o The trouble is you will never get a proper answer, period - Why cause then we all know what we were thinking is true ;) Its like the whole bicycle/parts price collusion/fixing scandal, or along the lines of the high bank charges.

Thats the way it is - A bike mechanic earns more than a car mechanic, go figure :huh:

Lets start a business. Mobile bike services. Contract mechanics and make appointments for them to visit clients requesting a service. Then they spend their time in front of the customer servicing his bike while the guy is watching. Charge R100 per half hour. Then myself "the manager" running the control centre will take 30% of this for my own cut. This of course after I read the book on economics :drool:

hahahahahaha

(anyways, maybe if I can see first hand what exactly they do when servicing my bike for the money I pay I will be more then willing to pay these kind of cash...........)

Lets start a business. Mobile bike services. Contract mechanics and make appointments for them to visit clients requesting a service. Then they spend their time in front of the customer servicing his bike while the guy is watching. Charge R100 per half hour. Then myself "the manager" running the control centre will take 30% of this for my own cut. This of course after I read the book on economics :drool:

hahahahahaha

(anyways, maybe if I can see first hand what exactly they do when servicing my bike for the money I pay I will be more then willing to pay these kind of cash...........)

There is already someone doing that - He charges just as much. So wheather youre in a shop/ factory/space its the same price it seems. A thinking of changing professions, You Tube taught, I'll charge slightly less, as Im not fully qualified. Im surprised more motorbike/car mechanics havent made the switch over - Less grease, no bending over, climbing under the hood etc - No three years apprentice training just a months worth of internet training, a blue book and some tools. Then youre A for away - At what stage are you able to call yourself a bike mechanic, before charging premium rate?

Edited by Caerus

Johan I think the point is more that I (and maybe others) am/are tired of paying premium prices for second rate work !!

If I got my bike back from the LBS properly fixed (like my car from the dealership) I would have no qualms paying a premium rate. But alas far to often these days you get your bike back in worse condition than what it was submitted and are still expected to pay top dollar for a **** job.

Simon Templar (is that you?), paying for something you're not getting is just daft. Ask for a refund, a rectification and vote with your feet.

There is a difference between premium pricing and fair pricing. Sometimes, premium is fair too.

Further, I don't like the car analogy. Cars are far more simpler to get right at the basic service level than bikes. Bikes, thanks to the performance/weight burden placed on most of them in ZA, are pretty complex and you need someone intelligent enough to converse with the customer and understand the subtle problems in the first place. This won't/cant be a monkey.

If your bike comes back worse than it was sent in and you allow that to happen, it is your fault. Somewhere in the bible it says that it is stupid not to part a fool from his money.

I keep on emphasising this but it seems to whoosh overhead each time. Forget about the industry's definition of "a service" and insist on specifics e.g. Please replace my brake and gear cables, replace the headset bearings and true the wheels.

This is far more specific with a fixed outcome, than Please give my bike a minor service (and try not to install any new parts).

The outcome in the latter case is uncertain and your are certainly going to be unhappy about it.

For the amount of time it would take to do it and all the worry about getting it right and all the tinkering and untickering, and then re-tinkering with a new part that I had to buy .... rather pay the LBs to do it and then when there is a problem I have someone to moan at, rather than at the guy in the mirror

this is very funny!

Every morning at Vida e-cafe I notice a bunch of over-paid mechanics doing nothing but drink R25 cups of coffee, instructing the appies back at work from their Blackberries and sattelite phones.

We should cut out this middleman. - Blackberries come free on contract means nothing to how much money they have, what middleman are you talking about here? What mechanics are these ?

Simon Templar (is that you?), paying for something you're not getting is just daft. Ask for a refund, a rectification and vote with your feet.

There is a difference between premium pricing and fair pricing. Sometimes, premium is fair too.

Further, I don't like the car analogy. Cars are far more simpler to get right at the basic service level than bikes. Bikes, thanks to the performance/weight burden placed on most of them in ZA, are pretty complex and you need someone intelligent enough to converse with the customer and understand the subtle problems in the first place. This won't/cant be a monkey.

If your bike comes back worse than it was sent in and you allow that to happen, it is your fault. Somewhere in the bible it says that it is stupid not to part a fool from his money.

I keep on emphasising this but it seems to whoosh overhead each time. Forget about the industry's definition of "a service" and insist on specifics e.g. Please replace my brake and gear cables, replace the headset bearings and true the wheels.

This is far more specific with a fixed outcome, than Please give my bike a minor service (and try not to install any new parts).

The outcome in the latter case is uncertain and your are certainly going to be unhappy about it.

Who is this monkey you keep refering too? You seem too like monkeys :unsure: Are you a circus trainer in your spare time? Please explain this whole not asking for a service(major or minor) it seems to have gone whoosh way over my head. I cant seem to grasp this. Is this also a religious lesson, dont know why the bible needs to quoted :o

give Juan from Mobilebike tech a shout, you will find him on here if you do a search, good guy and good work at a really good price.

Big Blade Cycles in Heidelberg, Gauteng het ten doel om kwaliteit produkte bekostigbaar te maak.

Big Blade Cycles sal fokus op:

• Dienste,

• Verkoop van parte

• Verkoop van enige toebehore

• As dit nie beskikbaar is nie, sal dit dadelik bestel word

• Beste pryse – as jy iets goedkoper kan kry, sal hy probeer om dit te verbeter

Big Blade Cycles, is geleë onder Laerskool A.G. Visser in Nel str.

• Maandae - Vrydae 14:00 - 18:00

• Saterdag 11:00 - 14:00

Indien dit jou nie pas nie, kan jy met Reinhard skakel om jou fiets enige tyd te kom haal

Pryse:

Minor Service R 140 Wash, Lube, Gears set

Major service R 220 Minor service + Headset en BB service excl. bearings as nodig

Re-build service R 400 Major service + hubs service excl. bearings as nodig

+ nuwe inner en outer brake & gear cables.

Reinhardt Basson

Big Blade Cycles

082 316 8562

reinhardt.bsn@gmail.com

I am going to ask Julius Malema to either:-

1. Close down all bike shops like he wanted to do with twitter

or

2. Nasionalise all bike shops

Bast@rds!!!!!!

Edited by Garfield2010

Who is this monkey you keep refering too? You seem too like monkeys

If the show fits.... Oops, forgot, I may have discriminated against those with prehensile toes.

Are you a circus trainer in your spare time?

Full time.

Please explain this whole not asking for a service(major or minor) it seems to have gone whoosh way over my head. I cant seem to grasp this.

There is no fixed definition for any of these levels of service, therefore, asking for a major or a minor is like asking a salesman for a vehicle. Be specific and you'll know what you're getting. Unless you can come up with a widely-agreed definition, te term "major service" is worthless. It is like going to the supermarket and asking for a trolley of groceries and then complaining that it is cheaper down the road.

I think I've explained this ad nauseum...capich yet?

Is this also a religious lesson, dont know why the bible needs to quoted

Clearly you are new here. I don't do religion. But I do know the most suitable quite in whatever publication suits my purpose.

I still think it expensive, youve also not given me enough justification to prove otherwise. Im also sure a lot of other people will think the same thing. Whats the point, we might as well just continue to pay the crazy serviceing repair/ prices, and save money elsewhere. It seems to me that what you have to say is the be all and end all so what the point in actually havin a discussion. Gosh the view must be great from up there. ;)