Bike servicing

Garfield2010

guys guys guys. If you're having a 'quote me, I'll quote you' slanging match I suggest you get your grammar right first for maximum effect. Spellcheck only fixes the spelling:

(was that a freudian one, with the circus on your mind?)

Otherwise it's just sloppy. It's like calling someone a looser.

The rest of the time the general hublic is allowed to use terrible English, we just gave up.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guys guys guys. If you're having a 'quote me, I'll quote you' slanging match I suggest you get your grammar right first for maximum effect. Spellcheck only fixes the spelling:

The rest of the time the general hublic is allowed to use terrible English, we just gave up.

So sorry, nxet time sir :huh: I thought it was a discussion, not a slanging match. Did I miss something?

Edited by Caerus

So sorry, nxet time sir :huh: I thought it was a discussion, not a slanging match. Did I miss something?

ok fine, if you must. An intellectual discussion where you inferred he is a circus trainer.

I see what you did with the 'nxet', very good.

According to statistics, every grammar flame contains at least two errors. Yours is true to form.

Netiquette lets us overlook typos or inadvertent proof reading failures, but does not mean we must suffer in silence those who cannot format their responses and wont learn to spell. Inevitably, when the opponent's grammar is used as a weapon by the other protagonist, it backfires.

I'll overlook most things but please don't break when want to brake.

What tools do I need to service our bikes?

http://www.silverbac...2011/saturn.jpg

http://www.silverbac...011/spectra.jpg

I have all the tools a motor mechanic would use already so I only need bike specific tools.

Workshop stand

Chain whip

Casette socket

Internal BB socket

External BB socket

Chain wear tool

Chain breaker

Anything else?

I guess I need to buy the workshop stand first.

Oh there are small kits and big kits :) just go check the parktool website.

These should keep you happy

http://www.parktool.com/product/master-mechanic-tool-kit

:P

ok fine, if you must. An intellectual discussion where you inferred he is a circus trainer.

I see what you did with the 'nxet', very good.

Johann keeps referring to monkeys, I was just wondering what the reference to our primate friends had to do with bike servicing? So I perhaps assumed he was a circus trainer in his spare time, maybe he keeps them as pets, not really sure still.

My LBS is damn expensive. I do most of the work on my bike myself because I enjoy it. However, when I do take the bike in and pay top dollar the bike comes back better than what I could do myself. It costs a bit but worth every penny. I never have buyers remorse.

Another shop near me used to get my business. Quite a bit cheaper but the bike always came back with something out or wrong which I either had to fix up myself or had to take back in to get sorted out. Always had buyers remorse and dont take my bike there anymore.

Case in point...

Last night i decided to address the "sqeak" comming from my rear wheel...was worried that the free hub was acting up becasue i never pay any attention to it even when cleaning the bike...

So, I cautiously strip everything down to the 13 odd ball bearings (loose nogal!!) that i found on the one side.

Was this rocket science?? Absolutely not...just put everything back as it came out and very little can go wrong.

I did end up not actually removing the freehub body (because it seems that one need a spesific tool which I did not have??)

I was quite shocked at the colour of the gunk packed around the bearings etc. dark brown...i hope thsi wwas the original colour of the grease and not discolouration from dust/ dirts etc.

well, all ends well and two hours later....a newly greased rear hub...

I enjoyed tinkering with the bike and I now have a real good feel for how the entire setup works and in future i'll do it more regularly! Cost saving = ~R500??

Edited by Cassie

• 1 year later...

Is Juan Smook from MobileBikeTec still arround?!

I need my MTB serviced in Centurion and don't want to take it to a cycling shop ...

In general Joburg will be more expensive than a small town because the cost of living here is higher. Rent is more expensive, labour is more expensive, rates and taxes are more expensive, commuting is more expensive.

I won't make any comment about the work break down or quality since that varies from shop to shop.

The cars are bigger, the houses are bigger, the tablets are bigger, the restaurants are plentiful...............should we go on??

According to statistics, every grammar flame contains at least two errors. Yours is true to form.

Netiquette lets us overlook typos or inadvertent proof reading failures, but does not mean we must suffer in silence those who cannot format their responses and wont learn to spell. Inevitably, when the opponent's grammar is used as a weapon by the other protagonist, it backfires.

I'll overlook most things but please don't break when want to brake.

Hah! I see what you did there..............

• 1 year later...

Has anyone downloaded the Bike Repair App? Cost R33.00 on iTunes. Not sure of it is available for Android.

It is really helpful especially for anyone wanting to sort out minor fixes and adjustments themselves. Well worth it.

Even gives advise on Bike Set-up and how to avoid Aches and Pains!

Anyone got a pdf file or something that teaches you to self service your bike???

Yeah its called "search for it on YouTube"