Magicshine Lights

schmoose

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The batteries are *** - have had two units fail so far but luckily have spares - we'll see how long they last ...

I saw that, the US distributor still sells the lights but not the batteries. I don't see anything on the magiclight.co.za site though.

Here is the USA site

http://www.geomangea...ndex&cPath=4_41

Mate of mine who bought the lights of that site fwd this mail to me:

To Our Valued Geomangear Customers,

Geomangear temporarily has stopped selling Magicshine lightsets due to our

concerns regarding the safety, quality, and performance of Magicshine's

lithium-ion battery packs sold by Geomangear between July 2009 and November

2010. We have determined that these Magicshine battery packs do not meet

Geomangear's high expectations regarding product safety, quality, and

performance. We have notified both the manufacturer of Magicshine lightsets

and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission that Geomangear

intends to voluntarily recall all Magicshine battery packs sold by

Geomangear.

We are actively working with the Safety Commission, outside engineering

consultants, and a new battery pack supplier to evaluate product recall

options for our customers. Geomangear will provide recall information and

instructions directly to our affected customers after our final corrective

action plan has been approved by the Safety Commission.

If you bought a Magicshine lightset from us between June 2009 and November

2010, please discontinue using your lightset until we are able to provide

you with an upgraded replacement battery pack. Despite our best efforts,

this process will take some time, and we ask for your patience. You can

rest assured that Geomangear has taken, and will continue to take,

appropriate steps to protect the safety of our customers, and we will stand

behind our products. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may

cause you and appreciate your continued loyalty and support during this

unprecedented situation our company is facing.

Thanks!!

Geoman

This email address was given to us by you or by one of our customers. If you

feel that you have received this email in error, please send an email to

geoman@geomangear.com

This e-mail is sent in accordance with the US CAN-SPAM Law in effect

01/01/2004. Removal requests can be sent to this address and will be honored

and respected.

I have just sent an e-mail to the manufacturer about this so hopefully will be able to give some more meaningful feedback soon!

I have just sent an e-mail to the manufacturer about this so hopefully will be able to give some more meaningful feedback soon!

I hope so bru! Coz I got 2 batteries for the Magicshine MJ808 :blink:

I was about to buy an 808, I will put it on hold for a while till the battery issue is resolved. I have made a temp plan for lighting. Works fine for road use, I tried it at about 45km/h with no street lights, may get a bit tricky on single track :o

Edited by chris_w_65

Have been warning about these lights, this is only the begining of all the problems. Goedkoop koop is duur koop.

There's always Brighter Lights' long lasting custom battery. Works like a dream.

The Brighter Lights lights is the business. Sure it is a couple of R's more than the Magicshines but you can see where the money went ... and then some.

Dibles was so kind as to lend me her set for the Transbaviaans. They lit up the road like the beginning part of the bible. It was on the bright setting the whole night through with no hassles. It was the brightest light in the field by a long shot. My team mates had Magic shines and they battled with the weak handlebar clamp and poor battery performance (had to change batteries somewhere in the night).

That being said, the Magic shines is a quick, cheap (&nasty) fix and will do the job like nothing else in its class. If you are serious about night racing though, keen on quality, reliability and durability rather spend a couple of more R's and go for the Brighterlights

My 2c worh.

Have been warning about these lights, this is only the begining of all the problems. Goedkoop koop is duur koop.

I still would love to know what your issue is with Magicshine's? Don't think you've ever clarified it...

Before hubbers take their speculation too far, why don't we wait and hear what the manufacturer has to say. I personally haven't heard of any of the hundreds of Magicshine lights in SA having any battery issues which would be considered dangerous so I don't know what issues Geoman have encountered with theirs. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more happy Magicshine owners in SA than any other bike light and they've only been around for about a year.

Yes, the handlebar mount isn't as solid as some other models, but if that's the only issue you have for a third of the price of its competitors then I think it's still an extremely good deal.

I will let you know once I hear anything further or else someone could contact Bradjackson on the hub and ask if he has any more information available.

Out of interest, how long do you think a battery should reasonably last? A 24 hour event is an extreme event and would generally require considerably more equipment to complete so I don't think that is something to hold against a standard light (add the spare battery and it's still half the price of any other light!).

I still would love to know what your issue is with Magicshine's? Don't think you've ever clarified it...

Before hubbers take their speculation too far, why don't we wait and hear what the manufacturer has to say. I personally haven't heard of any of the hundreds of Magicshine lights in SA having any battery issues which would be considered dangerous so I don't know what issues Geoman have encountered with theirs. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more happy Magicshine owners in SA than any other bike light and they've only been around for about a year.

Yes, the handlebar mount isn't as solid as some other models, but if that's the only issue you have for a third of the price of its competitors then I think it's still an extremely good deal.

I will let you know once I hear anything further or else someone could contact Bradjackson on the hub and ask if he has any more information available.

Out of interest, how long do you think a battery should reasonably last? A 24 hour event is an extreme event and would generally require considerably more equipment to complete so I don't think that is something to hold against a standard light (add the spare battery and it's still half the price of any other light!).

The issue is that if you know what reliable electronic components / light components cost, you'll see that parts to build just one quality battery pack for instance, cost more than a whole Magicshine light system, or just the circuit I use in my lights cost as much as a complete Magicshine system. Quality electronic components come at a price, even when sourcing the best prices worldwide.

Then there's the person assembling / soldering the components together. You just have to open a few Magicshines to see what the soldering / assembly looks like. I warned about this long ago when I imported the first Magicshines in early 2009. There's a very good reason why I didn't continue with them.

I can't bullsh*t ppl with smart sales talk, I'm proud about what I do and I'm a perfectionist and I won't sell something that I won't use myself. Enough said.

PS: If anyone experience problems with their Magiclight / Magicshine battery, send me a PM. I have the equipment to test the battery, and can rebuild the battery using reliable components.

www.brighter-lights.com doesn't tell us where to get em!

Each of my lights are custom build. You email me and I discuss the options and program the circuit according to your choice.

Edited by Brighter-Lights

I have a set which is why I started the thread, they're great so far. For the price they're unreal!

From what I gather these lights are imported and resold by all sorts of folk at varying prices, which is going to make any warranty issues very interesting.

I just hope the battery stops working rather than explodes!