Advice on loose rotor bolt

pauloc

Unfortunately it's on my brand new easton wheelset so definitely need to get this fixed :(

Take it back, surely it wont strip that easily and I am sure you want tighten it that badly...take a chance and use the guarentee :)

5 bolts will be fine. Use a torque wrench!!

Ja - valuable lesson learnt :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try find an engineering place in durbs that can help out.

But for now - I'll try the 5 bolt thing out :)

Edited by pauloc

..... now after all the advice..... buy a proper "bicyle specific" torque wrench that can accurately handle the lower end of torque. BBB make a very nice one.

Howzit Guys,

Sorry to re-open this thread, but does anyone know of a place in Durban that would be able to do a helicoil repair for the stripped thread? I've checked at a few local bike shops and engineering places but none of them are able to help out.

As an aside, a rather innovative solution suggested by the one shop was to use a nylock nut to hold the bolt in place. Sounded like a winner solution at only 20 cents, but turns out there isn't enough room on the hub for the nut :(

Thanks again for all the advice.

You've had some strange advice and I wish you luck in sifting through the chaff.

I see you're pretty new here and with time you'll get used to Male Answer Syndrome (MAS).

I bought a frame 2nd hand and discovered that the hanger had been stripped. It was an old frame that didn't have the removable hanger! Because it was old I wasn't OVERLY concerned about the aesthetics but the helicoil worked absolutely perfectly. Sold it about 3 years later having had no problems. I got a local engineering firm to install the helicoil.

Hey Guys,

Just in case someone else stumbles across this thread and is looking for a solution... I finally got this sorted at Good 2 Go in Pinetown. They put a helicoil in so it's as good as new (well ...nearly :)).

Thanks again to all for the advice.

Cheers,

Paulo