Average Joe with an S-Works?

Arkadion

I saw someone who may well have been his wife driving a convertible Ferrari at Broadacres :o

Maybe she was buying him some tubes ?? :thumbup:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya kinda hard to think of in the moment but I reckon the best thing to do is to enquire about the bike abit.. in a friendly way ofcourse.. just ask how much he payed or whats his favourite trails to ride.. something like that.. But that really does sound dodgy

A couple of months ago I saw a dude with a 2010 S-Works Epic on Rivonia drive near the N1. Funny thing was he was dressed in rags with old steel toe type shoes with no helmet... I was going the other way.

A couple of months ago I saw a dude with a 2010 S-Works Epic on Rivonia drive near the N1. Funny thing was he was dressed in rags with old steel toe type shoes with no helmet... I was going the other way.

Thats makes me feel kinda sick :(

Okay .. saw someone who could pass for a gardener walking in Crowthorne (Near Midrand) with a red S-Works and a white(Fox?) front fork.

I'm suspicious because:-

1) Im pretty sure something like that is WAY out of his pricerange.

2) He was walking (clips?)

3) It was almost dark

4) He was looking around himself nervously

How about do we go checking if it's stolen ? If I phone the police they don't want to know anything unless a serious crime is taking place ?

:)

Thanks for the note.

Was it red and black (2007/8) model or the earlier pure red and later red and white?

Anyway, think the suggestions you guys have made are good:

- politely ask to buy it

- ask where he bought it

- if no proper answers, threaten to call the cops/local security company to check if it is stolen (clearly more just a threat but maybe guilt might show)

- take a picture with cellphone and post it

- report it to the cops/local security company if there is one?

Obviously, its just a bike and whomever is doing the above for someone else's bike, shouldnt take any risks

Since my bikes were scaled I look carefully at every bike I see along the road

There's a guy that rides in blue overall trousers, takkies, peak cap, but wears a Dunkeld Cycles cycling shirt who I regularly see riding a GT Zaskar in and around Randburg. I see him almost daily but never know whether I should ask where he got the bike/shirt from......... :unsure:

is it against the law to ask for someone to prove ownership? Could you be sued for asking? Human rights and all that?

Man its a tough one! I cannot prove ownership of my bike... Especially not when i am out on a ride - so what is the point of even asking? You asked me, i'd tell you to eff-off.....

It makes my flippen mad (specially when they have liberated and now "own" a nicer bike than mine!!!)

You need to be careful here. If he has just "liberated" it there is a good chance he has a weapon. You may end up dead!! I see several people in cars that makes me question my tax money every day. It is very difficult. We all need to be careful on how we treat each other in this country. However if it has just been "liberated" and you manage to retrieve it from the unlawful owner then that is the best story. Just be careful on how you approach the said rider/walker. Well done on spotting it. I am always on the lookout for things that don't fit. Try and get the number of a local response company. These guys are pretty good at what they do and they have guns to help them in their "struggle" :P

I would say that there is nothing wrong with asking someone "Hey, nice bike....where did you get it"

Then watch their reaction....what I do believe is that we should DO something rather than riding past and then posting on the hub "I should have done something"

Clearly if the oke start to panic, then there is reason to call the police....but to post on the hub that you saw this oke, here 2 days ago is the same as asking the hubbers to find your water bottle you lost in last years Argus.....

I've had that same issue here in Stellenbosch!

Just last week I cycled past a dude going to one of the farms on what looked very much like a DH bike...the fork was really huge and disc rotors etc. etc.

I was going in opposite direction in the far lane and this still troubles me - I should have stopped and turned back and confronted the guy...

Cassie, if it is a yellow DH bike, then all is cool with this guy.

I met on going up old stellenbosch road and had a chat with him drooling over the bike. He said his boss gave it to him. As I had seen him more than once and always on the same section of road I took his story as for real. I still see him around every now and then. If he had stolen the bike I am sure he would have wanted to sell it. In chatting with him you could see he was really proud of the bike.

I'm all for the suggestion of offering to buy it.

If it's a 20k bike, offer to give the dude 3k cash. If he's eager then either he really hates the feel of the bike, or he got it for a 5 finger discount.

There's a guy that rides in blue overall trousers, takkies, peak cap, but wears a Dunkeld Cycles cycling shirt who I regularly see riding a GT Zaskar in and around Randburg. I see him almost daily but never know whether I should ask where he got the bike/shirt from......... :unsure:

Speak to him like you would anyone else asking bike questions - That will pretty much give you an answer as to where its come from, keep safe at all times though. If he acts suspiscious or nervous or starts to get aggro Step away. then you will also have youre answer as to where that bike possibly came from

I'm all for the suggestion of offering to buy it.

If it's a 20k bike, offer to give the dude 3k cash. If he's eager then either he really hates the feel of the bike, or he got it for a 5 finger discount.

The problem then is, what do you do with it? Do you put it on the hub to find out who owned it and possibly get it back to the guy or, if the guy is not cool, face getting nicked for buying stolen goods and loosing your dosh???!!! :ph34r:

Seen a yellow Kona DH bike in the Roodekraans area just off CR Swart. Was being ridden by a poor looking fellow and I assume that he didn't buy it brand new.