Average Joe with an S-Works?

Arkadion

The problem then is, what do you do with it? Do you put it on the hub to find out who owned it and possibly get it back to the guy or, if the guy is not cool, face getting nicked for buying stolen goods and loosing your dosh???!!! :ph34r:

well... I don't usually cruise around with 3k cash on me... so I would merely "offer" to buy... exchange some details "so I can meet up with the guy later for the sale" then hand that info over/make it available on here.

Offering to buy will allow one to get a closer look at the bike (possibly even a serial number) to give a more detailed description on the stolen bikes thread.

If one does then find the victim of the missing bike, they may be willing to reimburse the ammount required to get the bike back. they may go the cop route... who knows.

but yeah... an offer to buy seems like a less threatening approach to the suspect than a bunch of questions about his bike and where he got it... well atleast to me it seems that way?!

(worst case you end up getting a 20k bike for 3k... just kidding! hahaha! I don't condone that!)

Edited by patches

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a guy that rides in blue overall trousers, takkies, peak cap, but wears a Dunkeld Cycles cycling shirt who I regularly see riding a GT Zaskar in and around Randburg. I see him almost daily but never know whether I should ask where he got the bike/shirt from......... :unsure:

Uhm, according to the hub many cyclists give their gardeners their old very expensive bicycles. So none of those bicycles are really stolen.

Uhm, according to the hub many cyclists give their gardeners their old very expensive bicycles. So none of those bicycles are really stolen.

Any rich cyclist need any gardening done? :lol:

Sorry, any rich 'Large' MTB'r need a gardener? :thumbup:

Edited by big bad norm

Any rich cyclist need any gardening done? :lol:

Sorry, any rich 'Large' MTB'r need a gardener? :thumbup:

I have many years pool cleaning experience too - Do these same guys give their old bikes to the pool guys?

Remember that old joke. What do you call a black oke on a bicycle ...... A thief!!

Hey and Im not a racist even if Ju Ju claims I am.

There's a guy that rides in blue overall trousers, takkies, peak cap, but wears a Dunkeld Cycles cycling shirt who I regularly see riding a GT Zaskar in and around Randburg. I see him almost daily but never know whether I should ask where he got the bike/shirt from......... :unsure:

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he's one one of the Dunkeld mechanics.

With my luck ...

I would half run over the poor dude only to find its his boss's steed thats he's been given to get to work and back :blink:

Take a photo of him standing proudly with his bike

Offer him R 1,000

Load the bike in your car

Register the incident at the cop shop

Post the pic on The Hub

Collect R 1,000 from the original owner for the safe storage of bike

Take a photo of him standing proudly with his bike

1.Offer him R 1,000

2.Load the bike in your car

3.Register the incident at the cop shop

4.Post the pic on The Hub

5.Collect R 1,000 from the original owner for the safe storage of bike

A few issues here.

1.Assuming a R 1 000 will be an accepted offer.

2.Assuming you have space in your car.

3.Good idea as you might just be charged with theft when he denies the fact that you paid him R 1 K.

4. Assuming that ALL cyclist browse The Hub.

5.Assuming that he is willing to pay that amount or assuming he has not claimed from his insurance company yet.

With my luck ...

I would half run over the poor dude only to find its his boss's steed thats he's been given to get to work and back :blink:

Never mind....the rest of the hub will be crashing into the back of you

Happened twice to me:

1. Drive home and there is this realy old gardener dude on a very familiar Marin with a Fox and the works (I once owned one by the way but it was nationalised). So I pulled over and stopped him and yes....... it was my bike with my old damaged saddle. But you can see this dude is stil of the old type and innocent. He said he baught it from a young white boy for R400 so I bought my bike back for R800 from him.

2. Friday evening outside the video store and there is a nice golden Mongoose dualy (my wife once owned one but it got nationalised) chained to the shop's door with a very old chain. So I phoned the police, they pitch, see the young whitey working in the store and arrested him. Apparently they where looking for the bliksem for a long while. He was well known in the area for stealing bikes.I got my bike back, police got their moerskont :thumbup:

Happened twice to me:

1. Drive home and there is this realy old gardener dude on a very familiar Marin with a Fox and the works (I once owned one by the way but it was nationalised). So I pulled over and stopped him and yes....... it was my bike with my old damaged saddle. But you can see this dude is stil of the old type and innocent. He said he baught it from a young white boy for R400 so I bought my bike back for R800 from him.

2. Friday evening outside the video store and there is a nice golden Mongoose dualy (my wife once owned one but it got nationalised) chained to the shop's door with a very old chain. So I phoned the police, they pitch, see the young whitey working in the store and arrested him. Apparently they where looking for the bliksem for a long while. He was well known in the area for stealing bikes.I got my bike back, police got their moerskont :thumbup:

What an awesome story to read, and twice :clap: