Bike services

mudda

well bike service are definitly worth it.if your bike is serviced regularly it becomes more cost effective ,to replacing parts.

if you in j'burg try cajees princess crossing they really jacked up that side of there department smiley32.gif

Linnega's got it right, pop down to your LBS and go buy a few tools, BBB are about the best value for money. Then hit exclusive books and go get a repair book or again ask your LBS.

Tools to get: Chain Breaker, Allen Key multi tool, (make sure it has torq wrenches for disc brake bolts), Casette remover, chain whipbottom bracket tool and Crank Extractor (make sure you get the right tool, external bearing or bb one). Then you need a large tub of bike grease, Q20 and Chain Lube. Tyre Levers and a pedal spanner would also go down well. There is probably alot of other stuff, make sure that you also have a hacksaw, a pair of kitchen scissors and as many other odds and ends that you can think of. NO. ONE TOOL/TEMPORARY FIX IS DUCT TAPE.
Racer X2007-10-08 15:24:38

Don't want to hijack but I do my own bike building/servicing but I have an annoying problem that I can't solve so am about to give up and take it to the LBS.

On both my previous Bianchi frame and the current one I am getting a clicking noise on every revolution of the cranks. I have stripped and rebuilt the BB (with grease), stripped and retightened the left crank arm and tightened the chainwheel bolts, sometimes it goes away for a few days and then comes back to haunt me. Any ideas?

Don't want to hijack but I do my own bike building/servicing but I have an annoying problem that I can't solve so am about to give up and take it to the LBS.

On both my previous Bianchi frame and the current one I am getting a clicking noise on every revolution of the cranks. I have stripped and rebuilt the BB (with grease)' date=' stripped and retightened the left crank arm and tightened the chainwheel bolts, sometimes it goes away for a few days and then comes back to haunt me. Any ideas?

[/quote']

Check that your seat bolts and seat clamp is tight enough. Also chech your stem and handlebar bolts. I've had pedals rebuild, before I did things myself, because of this.

Linnega's got it right' date=' pop down to your LBS and go buy a few tools, BBB are about the best value for money. Then hit exclusive books and go get a repair book or again ask your LBS.

Tools to get: Chain Breaker, Allen Key multi tool, (make sure it has torq wrenches for disc brake bolts), Casette remover, chain whipbottom bracket tool and Crank Extractor (make sure you get the right tool, external bearing or bb one). Then you need a large tub of bike grease, Q20 and Chain Lube. Tyre Levers and a pedal spanner would also go down well. There is probably alot of other stuff, make sure that you also have a hacksaw, a pair of kitchen scissors and as many other odds and ends that you can think of. NO. ONE TOOL/TEMPORARY FIX IS DUCT TAPE.
[/quote']

For carbon stuff don't forget the torque wrench.

On both my previous Bianchi frame and the current one I am getting a clicking noise on every revolution of the cranks. I have stripped and rebuilt the BB (with grease)' date=' stripped and retightened the left crank arm and tightened the chainwheel bolts, sometimes it goes away for a few days and then comes back to haunt me. Any ideas?

[/quote']

This happend to me and the answer was simple, PEDALS. Took (3months old) pedals off put on old ones and problem solved. Changed pedals for new ones.

Ian, my Giant TCR Comp did the same, I baught a can of silicone (blue can with red cap) spray and started at the top, the bolt underneatj the seat. I basically spray juice on ever single part. brakes, nuts bolts pedals etc.

And it al disappear. I'm not sure whick was the bugger that did it, but I have this funny feeling it was from a pedal.

Ok will try the lubing parts bit, I will try individual components one by one and will let you know what I find.

Thanks for the feedback, think I will start with the pedals although I have already changed pedals too.

Do it yourself. It's really easier then it looks.

Ya....thats what everyone thinks...and 80% of the time those backyard tuned bikes gets taken back to the LBS and costs the customer more than it would have in the first place.

Do it yourself. It's really easier then it looks.

Ya....thats what everyone thinks...and 80% of the time those backyard tuned bikes gets taken back to the LBS and costs the customer more than it would have in the first place.

True a lot of the time, especially where different types of parts are used such as  the procedure to change derailer on Rapid Fire shifters vs Dual Shifters, even the books are not clear.

Servicing your own bike is probably the best thing to do, but your the one to blame when it all goes wrong!! So, having worked in a bike shop myself for 5 years in the 90's, I now endeavour to entrust my bike to a shop every time!! I find that Justin @ JustCycles in Alberton is fantastic. It used to be Carter Cycles?! It may be a small shop, but he gets the job done perfectly...

As I am technically useless and my tool kit consists of a hammer and a bent screwdriver, I usually take my bike to a shop.

Over the years I have tried many of them in and around Jhb and found them all to be much of a muchness (ie) give the bike a wash, change cables, set the gears etc.

Probably the best shop I have used as far as servicing gos is TDF cycles in Boksburg, I have taken my bike there a few times now and they have so far always done a sterling job, often checking / changing things like wheel bearings which I would never have thought of. 

I recently also had an annoying "pinging" sound on the bike Ian J, and dropped it off there one morning on my travels, 10 minutes later it was fixed (a looseish spoke I believe) they quickly checked the trueing etc and waved me off with a "have a good day" when I wanted to pay.

Some folk here have also given Mikes bike shop a good report, but I personally havent tried them - maybe next time?Big%20smile