MTB Wheelset weights - Tubeless & Tubes

Caerus

Ive just been wondering what peoples wheelsets (tubeless or with tubes) weigh? Not been able to find much about it on the hub or anything for people full wheelsets for that matter. I know it will all vary depending on a lot of things - ie rims, tyres, how much sealant, spokes, cassette & hubs, etc etc.

I changed my tyre on the back wheel and the rear wheel now seems heavy. I am running No Tubes ZTR 355, with Conti Race Kings Tubeless 2.2, XT cassette & DT Swiss 370 hub, DT Swiss Dbl butted spokes(32 hole) - This rear wheel came in at 2.1kg. Not sure on the front yet but am running the ZTR rim, Kenda Nevagal(non UST) & Hope Pro 2 hub & DT Swiss Dbl butted spokes.

I'm just interested to see what people are running, I know weight is not the big issue here - I found the bike to be rolling much faster then before.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed my tyre on the back wheel and the rear wheel now seems heavy. I am running No Tubes ZTR 355, with Conti Race Kings Tubeless 2.2, XT cassette & DT Swiss 370 hub, DT Swiss Dbl butted spokes(32 hole) - This rear wheel came in at 2.1kg. Not sure on the front yet but am running the ZTR rim, Kenda Nevagal(non UST) & Hope Pro 2 hub & DT Swiss Dbl butted spokes.

2.1kg seems right, I have American Classic with RaceKing 2.2 UST, SRAM X0(Red) cassette with Hope 140mm disk weighing 2.0kg. UST tires are usually +-700g so unless you changed TO a UST FROM a Tube-Type then it will feel a bit heavier.

2.1kg seems right, I have American Classic with RaceKing 2.2 UST, SRAM X0(Red) cassette with Hope 140mm disk weighing 2.0kg. UST tires are usually +-700g so unless you changed TO a UST FROM a Tube-Type then it will feel a bit heavier.

Went from Geax Barro UST - Just the whole bike feels heavier or I got weaker :(

Here are the weights of some heavy wheels and tyres so you guys can appreciate what you have

Complete tyres, tubes, slime, casettes, skewers, discs and air

Alex XD Lite with Kenda Small Block Eights (on my bike)

Front - 2038g

Rear - 2510g

Alex ACE 17 with Cheng Shin (on girlfriends bike)

Front - 2390g

Rear - 2930g

Different tyres will naturally have different rolling resistance so just changing the tire can change how the bike rolls. Also a tire effects the weight/bike handling the most.

@chris_w_65

Wow those are impressive weights :-)

Just built my wheels and weighed them before I added the cassette, tires and rotors. (Had the Valve on). could have made them lighter with Aluminium nipples not they would not be as strong.

Front

Stans Alpine Rim, DT Swiss revolution Spokes, Hope Pro 2 hub = 690g

Rotor Claimed weight = 104g

Tire Intense System 2 Claimed weight = 500g

Slime Stans 2oz = 57g

Skewer = 62g

Total = 1413g

Rear Wheel

Stans Alpine Rim, DT Swiss revolution Spokes, Hope Pro 2 hub = 800g

Tire Kenda Small Block 8 Non Tubeless Claimed weight = 500g

Slime Stans 2oz = 57g

Skewer = 75g

Total = 1536g

My wheels are anchors but compared to you guys that have spend so much on wheels, they do not compare too bad.

Wheels are build using Mavic 717 rims, black DT swiss DB spokes, XT 756 hubs, stock skewers, black DT swiss brass nipples, CST tubes (yes I still use tubes), Maxxis Aspen 2.1 non-UST tyres and Alligator rotors (160mm front, 140mm back).

Front = 1731

Back = 2160

Different tyres will naturally have different rolling resistance so just changing the tire can change how the bike rolls. Also a tire effects the weight/bike handling the most.

@chris_w_65

Wow those are impressive weights :-)

Just built my wheels and weighed them before I added the cassette, tires and rotors. (Had the Valve on). could have made them lighter with Aluminium nipples not they would not be as strong.

Front

Stans Alpine Rim, DT Swiss revolution Spokes, Hope Pro 2 hub = 690g

Tire Intense System 2 Claimed weight = 500g

Slime Stans 2oz = 57g

Skewer = 62g

Total = 1413g

Rear Wheel

Stans Alpine Rim, DT Swiss revolution Spokes, Hope Pro 2 hub = 800g

Tire Kenda Small Block 8 Non Tubeless Claimed weight = 500g

Slime Stans 2oz = 57g

Skewer = 75g

Total = 1536g

Lets us know what they weigh completed :)

It seems they need to be making the UST tyres a bit lighter somehow, yet not compromise the integrity of them

Good thinking there, captain obvious

So for interest sake Captain Sarcasm, what does your wheelset weigh?

So for interest sake Captain Sarcasm, what does your wheelset weigh?

well what did you expect, next suggestion is for tt bike designers to

'think aero'?

dunno. bike is about 12 and i don't believe that theory about 'light wheels' accelerating faster.

'think aero'?

dunno. bike is about 12 and i don't believe that theory about 'light wheels' accelerating faster.

I just asked what peoples wheelsets weigh, then wondered why the tyre companies dont make a inbetween tyre - No need for the sarcasm was there really.

'think aero'?

Seeing as were pointing out the obvious. Its not just a theory, its the wieerd and wonderful world of science

Seeing as were pointing out the obvious. Its not just a theory, its the wieerd and wonderful world of science

Please can someone explain the weird & wonderful too me :)

Very simply (Force in a straight line)

F = ma

F = Force (power available in your legs :))

m = mass (of the whole bike in this case. i.e. the wheels contribute to this this total mass)

a = acceleration

re-written with respect to a

a = F/m

Now assuming constant F, a will increase as m decrease

Getting more technical (Centripetal force - Force that makes the wheel go round)

F = ma + (mv^2)/r

F = Force (power applied to the wheel)

m = mass (mass of the wheel)

a = acceleration

v = velocity (straight line velocity of the wheel at a point in time at r)

r = radius (from the center if the wheel to the "center of gravity")

Again, re-writing with respect to a

a = F/m - v^2/r

So by the same logic. a will increase as m decrease.

Now for the kicker...

The total weight of the wheel is not as important as where the weight is. Similar to the logic behind a weight increase resulting in a acceleration decrease, the same applies for a increase in r. Basically the further away the weight is from the center the more of an effect it has on acceleration.

Summary. Light wheels DO accelerate faster and reducing the weight of the Tyre/Tube/Slime and Rim is worth much more that reducing the weight of the Hub and Skewer.

Hope this helps.