tubes or "NO TUBES"

cyclenut

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JB - Tore 2 sidewalls on non-tubeless tyres (both Maxxis crossmarks)' date=' have not yet torn a sidewall on a tubeless Maxxis![/quote']

That doesn't explain much. You say they tore. Were you just riding along on a nice gravel roade and suddenly, whoosh, the sidewalls were torn?

How long were the tears? Where on the tyre were the tears? Under what conditions did they tear? How old were the tyres and where were they stored?

You present anecdotal evidence and base your recommendation merely on that. It doesn't help people understand tyres and make informed decisions.

I once had 27 punctures in 10 meters. Crappy tyres. They can't even ride over an Indian nail bed. Never buy those tyres!!

See, a tear isn't just a tear. Lots of people say one should stay away from this or that tyre because they have torn sidewalls in those tyres. Sometimes the advice is third-hand: their second cousin on their stephmother's side once said Continentals are rubbish. He referred to his car, but nevertheless, don't buy Continentals, they will tear sidewalls.

Most tears are reasonably forseeable. For instance, if you cut the sidewall on a sharp rock or, if you have an old, oxidised tyre and you pump it very hard or, if your v-brakes are badly adjusted and the pads touch the tyre - those are foreseeable failures and will happen with any tyre.

Very few tyres in fact just tear.  There's usually some underlying cause. Yes, faulty batches do exist but...

Which brings me to the advice dished out here about avoiding standard tyres and using NoTobes in tubeless only.

Most standard tyres are just fine for a NoTubes conversion. Only two conditions that I know of prevent your tyre from being successfully converted:

1) A tyre with a very loose bead. you know the type - it hangs on the rim and you can install it without any tools. In this case there is too much of a gap to be filled by the gorilla snot and you never get it inflated.

2) Old "skinwall" tyres with a thin latex sidewalls where you can see the cords and halfway through the tyre. These are just too porous for a successful conversion.

Apart from those two reasons and of course a big hole, Stans NoTubes can convert just about any tyre.

Tubeless tyres are heavy (a big issue with the weight weenies here) and are impossibly difficult to remove, especially in the field with gorilla snot leaking everywhere. People often break tyre levers trying to get a tubeless tyre off. It is easy to see why - the bead has a thick layer of gooey rubber on it for sealing against the rim. This soft rubber doesn't glide over the tyre lever.

In my view, these tyres increase your chances of walking home instead of the other way around.

Besides, they're ridiculously expensive. You needn't pay more than R200 for a perfectly good MTB tyre.

JB

sjoe... is your other nick name "Mr Smiley Pants".  You seem to get worked up about things.  Ever thought of taking a chill pill dude?

I suppose it would be great if everybody gave every shred of evidence, condition, measure, etc at the time that any particular incident occurred, but sometimes  people just want a simple answer: what do you think of brand x? it's crap, it's good, it's average. pick one

besides if you take the evidence of just one person, you deserve whatever problems you get.  that's why this is a forum....so people can express their views.  If you want empirical evidence of something, surf the german sites, because they test everything.

The problem with Johann is that he needs to know where , why , when etc as most of us just accept that a tear is just that or a chain is a piece of metal with holes in it ! But I still enjoy reading his postings on technical stuff . Ok so maybe he needs 101 on human relationships ! smiley36.gif

Anyway like BB said Non-UST tyres are more prone to sidewall damage because the sidewalls are just not that strong ! I had the same problems and decided to go the UST route and am a lot happier . Running low pressures you will find the UST more "stable" as it will not give you that "flat tyre" feeling when cornering . But if you are a average rider who believes that jumping the pavemunt should be left to people like Greg Minaar then normal tyres in a tubeless conversion will suit you well .

Its amazing, here we have someone (Mr Bornman) who actually knows what he is talking about, has facts and figures to back up his statements and most important is prepared to share his experience and information with everyone who is interested, and he gets the hind t*t!!.

If you feel threatened by his posts and answers, its simple, dont read them, but for many, me included his information is very interesting and educational, and I agree as Mr Bornman says, one persons views / opinions / experience, are hardly reason to trash a product / condone a product on a public website .

In my opinion, many folk here have personal experiences of a product (both good and bad), but tend to put this experience forward as "a conclusive fact that the product is good or bad", when in fact there are so many variables to take into account that it can only remains purely "an opinion".

a bulletproof fast rolling tyre there is only one: the maxxis crossmark LUST. 

Ask anyone who has had them on their bikes. they rule.

Actually....they don't. They roll fine but have less cornering grip than a bare bloody rim....just my opinion Smile

Every time you post you seem intent on taking someone to task over something.

I agree here but have to say that he makes a damn fine point.....exactly what I thought when I read BigBen's post....sorry.....have I lost some browny points...?

Anyway like BB said Non-UST tyres are more prone to sidewall damage because the sidewalls are just not that strong ! I had the same problems and decided to go the UST route and am a lot happier . Running low pressures you will find the UST more "stable" as it will not give you that "flat tyre" feeling when cornering

Don't agree....The reason for the sidewalls being thicker on UST tyres is to provide the cornering support lost by removing the tube' date=' to add stability like you said

It's got nothing to do with cutting the sidewall. If the extra thicknes was there to prevent cutting the sidewall then the manufacturers would also make the normal tyres thicker....wouldn't they?

I had the same problems and decided to go the UST route and am a lot happier

Read Johan's post again Wink

haha But I don't have to agree with Johann ? How boring would that be ? You are right about the thicker sidewall of UST's but that is not the only benefit you get from these thicker walls ! Sidewall damage is lower on UST's and the is a fact .

BTW should you not be fixing your Titus or something ? smiley36.gif

Will keep my 'anecdotal' comments to myself in future, in fact will not comment on anything for which I have no 'scientific' proof !!!!! In fact will keep my comments to my start time at races (yip it can be mostly verified on websites somewhere).

Was going to reply to the thread about which side your petrol filler cap is on (I do have proof with photos that is different to that supposedly proven as normal) but of what use? To be questioned about your qualifications/scientifically proved facts? Nah okes, all yours!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy you techno 'experts' you!!!!!!

Daemon - Off I go to the 'pink' saddle as you so eloquently put it!

Will keep my 'anecdotal' comments to myself in future' date=' in fact will not comment on anything for which I have no 'scientific' proof !!!!! In fact will keep my comments to my start time at races (yip it can be mostly verified on websites somewhere).

[/quote']

Ag no man!  What you are doing is in fact scientifically quite sound.  You have a theory supported by facts.  Now like any good scientist would do, you try to disprove your theory.  So:  you believe non-UST tires tear more easily, this is your theory based on the observed FACTS that you tore the sidewalls on your Maxxis (anecdotal eveidence would be if you HEARD from someone that the sidewalls tear).  Now you are trying to prove yourself wrong by seeing if the UST tires also tear.
HomerSimpson2007-10-11 03:03:27

I too find Johann's posts informative, challenging, interesting and a straight talker.

As to whether i agree or not, i'm too doff not to.