a pound off the wheels = two off the bike?

Shebeen

Lighter rims is for less unsprung mass

Lighter flywheel is for more power and rpm and less torque

Not quite.... the unsprung mass does help but it is marginal, lighter wheels accelarate and decelarate much easier.

You can take the flywheel off an engine and it will NOT affect kW or Nm!

Putting a lighter crank on a bicycle does not increase the riders wattage...

a heavier flywheel makes the car more drivable due to its momentum, more difficult to stall but a at a tradeoff as rpm will rise and drop slower as well as a bigger chance of locking up the driving wheels on a downshift. At a constant rpm this weight will have no effect.

When it comes to laptimes etc the rule of thumb on a racecar: every kg rotating mass saved =4kg static mass.

If the bicycle had to accelarate a couple of times the lighter wheels would help, at constant speed they will not.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And how is all of this affected by the notion that going up a hill means accelerating (against gravity) whereas riding at constant speed on the flat is not accelerating?

what about the effect of the colour of the wheels - i know different bies are faster than others. black bikes are really fast, and really clean white ones with little bits of red detail may be even faster. orange and blue are downright slow

Arent red ones the fastest :huh:

The assumption is bull****.

Which one?

That a Double Red Bull ensures you dont get tired on the second lap ? ;)

If lighter wheels do not make a difference then why do race cars run lighter flywheels and lighter rims?

Race cars experience significantly higher RPMs and accelerations than bicycles

Cool stuff - however, a proper experimental set-up would include 20-30+ repetitions of each treatment

The data posted doesn't come from a physical experiment, but rather from the solution of a numerical acceleration model (follow the link).

I'd only be remotely interested in this, if video evidence could be displayed involving a test rider who was female, and naked (so as to discount any wind resistance issues pertaining to cycling attire).

And a chick with a 34 C is so much more aerodynamic that a flat chested man. :)

I am no scientist. More of a electronics guy. I would think from experience that you will need a lot more energy to get the 34C rolling, but once it's built up momentum it'll definitely be harder to stop.

What happens if that man has moobs :o

Bahahahhahahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: waahahahhahahaa.

Engineers are fun to watch......

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mirror , mirror on the wall, which Engineer has the most conclusive theory of them all :unsure:

Edited by Caerus

Lighter wheels do help with acceleration and heavier wheels will help with maintaining a certain speed.

That has been proven time and time again with many other vehicles as well as bicycles.

There is no argument in my opinion,

only ignorant people.

Lighter wheels do help with acceleration and heavier wheels will help with maintaining a certain speed.

That has been proven time and time again with many other vehicles as well as bicycles.

There is no argument in my opinion,

only ignorant people.

ignorant people .....I bet the same bunch using power balance bracelets.... with no abilities to reason.

A lighter flywheel does not increase power, rpm or decrease torque... it helps the car rev up faster thus increasing acceleration... raced cars for years... always used on.