Advice for traveling with a bike on a plane

sputnik-f1

I will be leaving this snow invested island in just over two weeks for the sunny shores of Knysna.

Just my luck(?) that the Attakwas is on while I am there, so I am bringing my bike with.

Any Hubbers out there that have traveled with their bikes on a plane before?

Any advice appreciated :)

Will be using a CRC bike bag like this

post-19724-0-58474500-1291292665.jpg

I would also like to know, as I will be taking my spare bike over to the UK the next time i fly.

Biggest problem is having to pay excess baggage. Virgin is the worst!

Various tricks to use:

-Blag ur way as a Professional Sports Person, sometimes they wont charge extra for 'Sporting Equipment'.

-Remove all heavy bits and put in hand luggage but be aware of what they will allow on your person in the plane they are quite anal (NOT mulitools!!!)

-If traveling with others, share the luggage total

Also take of the RD and wrap it and the chain in bubble wrap otherwise it and/or the hanger going to get messed up when they throw the bag into the hold. Also wrap the frame in bubble wrap, even just loosely to cushion it. Turn brake levers down.

Edited by kosmonooit

Have seen a discussion about this before - if I remember it depends on the airline. Pick one that will just take this as part of your weight - or buy extra weight before online at half the price.

I suggest you take sponge and wrap it round your rear derailer as well as your chain rings. Depending on the space in the bag put as much sponge in the bag as possible. I have discovered the more "packaging" inside the bag the saver your bike is. Last thing you want when opening the bag is a damaged derailer or chain ring. The best thing to have is one of these hardened "bicycle boxes" They really strong and not much can actually happen.

when weighing you luggage let it hang off the scale and place your foot underneath to take some weight off :clap:

I will be leaving this snow invested island in just over two weeks for the sunny shores of Knysna.

Just my luck(?) that the Attakwas is on while I am there, so I am bringing my bike with.

Any Hubbers out there that have traveled with their bikes on a plane before?

Any advice appreciated :)

Will be using a CRC bike bag like this

post-19724-0-58474500-1291292665.jpg

Are you sure the airports will be open by then? :)

Most of the replies you received are from amateur jokers trying to be funny. The only aeroplanes they have seen are on TV.

We have travelled extensively in Africa on various airlines. Well here goes:-

Get inserts for your fork as well as the rearvtriangle to ensure they cannot bend. I made my own with a piece of broomstick that I slotted. Wrap all tubing with sponge lagging that you can buy at hardware stores. They wrap exterior water pipes with it to stop freezing in winter. Tie it down with cable ties. Remove you rear derraileur without removing the cable and wrap it in bubble wrap. Tie this into the the rear triangle. Place everything you remove, pedal, seat and tube, etc in the bag with your tools so you do not forget anything. Make sure nothing is loose in the bag. Tie it down with cable ties. Put any screw or bolt you remove back to ensure it does not get lost or be forgotten.