Swift01

Definition of the words "Brand New"  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Definition of the words "Brand New" when you buy something on the Hub

• Does it mean Brand New, never been used still in the box
    • Does it mean Brand New, came off a brand new bike BUT never been used
    • Does it mean Brand New, I have used it for 5km
    • Does it mean Brand New, I have used it for 100km
    • Does it mean Brand New, I have used it scratched it, worn the one part out but it's ok to sell it as Brand New?

The brakes are brand new and as i said to the buyer on the phone the one rotor was slightly used but i think his technical knowledge is limited.

the scrathes on the caliper were not there when i posted them,possibly damaged by the postal service??

you got them for a bargain price,i think you just want your money back because you changed your mind!

slightly used....where down a mineshaft, you going to have to do better than that. Do the right thing and give 300 bucks back to get a new rotor, if he wanted his money back, why did he came with a solution of reducing the price with some sort of rebate, doesn't make sense

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hardly see how the brakes get damaged in a box and how DIRT gets into the rear caliper (in a box in a plastice bag). The picture of the Caliper is a very clear showing that is could have been damaged in an bike accident or something similar. Remember these were packed in a box and the rotors and the brakes were in thick separate plastic bags. The box was NOT damaged at all on the outside (I can take Photo's to prove it). The scratches are a bit deeper than the scarping of the brakes against each other while in transit. This is not brand new brakes.

The one Rotor is shot, the other has been used a bit. There is 6 bolts instead of 12 bolts for the rotors and the brake pads have marks on their surfaces showing that they have been used. This is not brand new brakes (let alone Rotors)

You sold me something under the "Brand New" term and then when I enquire about the Rotors you tell me they have been used as I was selling "NEW Brakes" but "Not New" Rotors (this was only brought up AFTER I receieved the parts from you. I did not get a good deal as I explained in my PM. I paid R1300 for the brakes from you but a new rotor is R380 from CRC which is at least R400. Thats R1700 I will have to pay to use them.

Just admist you have not been honest in this deal. Your posting said "Brand New 2010 Magura Louise Hydraulic Disc Brakes for sale, front and rear, with 160mm rotors" and I even asked you on the phone. You said they are Brand new clearly they are not.

I have been honest and even given you some options to which you sent me quite a rude reply. Hence I will not give up.

If that classifies as brand new then my bikes can be classified as "just rolled out of the paint booth". Even IF they got damaged in transit, there is no way about the dirt and condition of the disc.

By the way a scratch that happens in transit under the way they were packed looks like the scratch on the lever. I just find it interesting that in his Photo when selling the wron rotor was under the good one the "damaged" caliper was turned to the good side and the lever that could have gotten scratched in transit was also hidden......

Make your own conclusion.

Looks just like my GF before she found out the parts were not new :lol:

So your girlfriend doesn't like her parts used??? :lol:

This is the only thing I wouldn't mind being "slightly used"

Yeah, you can have my sloppy seconds :lol:

But under the roaches definition of "Brand New Parts" at the young age of 38 I can be considered "NEW" so she does not have to worry about used parts :P

My mind boggles at what must go through some peoples minds... Oh wait - maybe my first mistake is to make this assumption?

Case in point: Yes, there is always two sides to the story - and yes, maybe the intentions on the other side were good - but in the face of everything above, what more could possibly be said??

Seriously - what does the seller think will happen when the buyer receives the goods, and they're not what was promised/advertised? Just shrug his shoulders? Is getting 'away' with a few hundreds of Rands, really worth the effort?

On the odd few occasions that I've sold something on the Hub, I've gone out of my way to bombard potential buyers with info. Probably too much, in fact, which is why (I think) I sometimes don't sell a few things... But I make it clear from the outset - what the condition is, and how they were used - and I welcome any and all queries - since I then know that when I've posted it, it will probably be the last I will hear from the buyer.

Having said this - the Seller must take responsibility too - by asking all the right questions, including Hub references, and then making a call on CLEAR terms.

Swift - it unfortunately appears as if you did all that you could (barring references??) - and so I guess, you've got to roll with it... The princicple of the matter might dictate that you take things further, in the 'real' world - but whether that is worth the effort, is a whole new debate...? <_<

Well in that case only the first 5mm was used ;)

Exactly, cant force whats not meant to fit . Like you cant force me to believe those brakes were sold new and got scratched in transit :(

What i don't understand is that the seller in this case works at a bike shop and is known in KZN mountain biking community and does something like this??

Should the seller not take responsibility for the damage as he packed the items and then claim From SAPO for the said damage?