New Bikes for my Kids, NOW to get them riding!!!

I-FELT-the-FORCE

Evening Fellow Hubbers,

So, every morning I get back from my ride I get asked the question by my kids, "Daddy, did you go riding with Andy Schleck this morning?", to which I reply, sorry kids, not this time :rolleyes: So, Mommy and Daddy Clause have decided that it is about time to get our kids on Bikes :thumbup: PROPER :thumbup:

SOOO, Dad went off, bought my little guy a 12' (he's nearly 3) and my daughter a 16' with V-Brakes, little Raleigh (She is nearly 5).

I have been doing a bit of reading and checking out how to get these little guys on the road and riding without training wheels ASAP (taking off the pedals and getting them to balance, stopping themselves from falling with their feet).

Just wanting to know, how did you get your kiddies riding? Any tips and suggestions???

Watch out all other hubbers little ones, the next Andy / female equivalent is coming from MY house :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Evening Fellow Hubbers,

So, every morning I get back from my ride I get asked the question by my kids, "Daddy, did you go riding with Andy Schleck this morning?", to which I reply, sorry kids, not this time :rolleyes: So, Mommy and Daddy Clause have decided that it is about time to get our kids on Bikes :thumbup: PROPER :thumbup:

SOOO, Dad went off, bought my little guy a 12' (he's nearly 3) and my daughter a 16' with V-Brakes, little Raleigh (She is nearly 5).

I have been doing a bit of reading and checking out how to get these little guys on the road and riding without training wheels ASAP (taking off the pedals and getting them to balance, stopping themselves from falling with their feet).

Just wanting to know, how did you get your kiddies riding? Any tips and suggestions???

Watch out all other hubbers little ones, the next Andy / female equivalent is coming from MY house :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If those bikes cost about R700.00 each from Game or Makro (and are very Chinese) then check everything is tight and the brakes work properly before you let them ride

Can't remember how old my brats were when I took off the trainers. They just asked me to take them off when they felt ready and as far as I remember they rode no problem without them

Guest agteros

Took mine to the local Builders Express parking when they were closed. The trainer wheels made quite a racket on the paving there. Asked him to try and ride so that the wheel do not make noise. After a while I swiveled the wheels a bit to the back (lifted them) and when he started taking corners on the on training wheel and front wheel I convinced him it will be safer to go without them.

My hart wou gaan staan elke keer as hy om die draai gaan met die agterwiel in die lug!

Ohhh, and I told him that he can get a new bike (Silverback 20") if he gets it right on two wheels. He could not wait to get his bike with the 'flames' on :D

Edited by agteros

Both of mine are on their bikes everyday. It's a herd mentality - we're in an Estate where the kids in our lane range from 3 to 9. The bikes range from JD Bugs to small-framed bikes (12"-16") with trainer wheels to larger bikes sans trainer wheels. Easy to see which pool the kids are congregating at as there's a mini bicycle pile-up at the front of one of the houses... :)

Thus best tip to get your kids riding - get them to mix with other children who ride.

A nice way to do this is to have a lazy, healthy weekend breakfast. We cycle out towards the cradle and go to one of the country restaurants (we have been favouring Something Country - approximately 45 km)get the wives and kids to drive out (with the kids bikes) and meet the riders for breakfast. Something Country has a bike track so the kids can go and burn off their breakfast and hot chocolate while you get to enjoy adult time with another cappuccino ;) .

Afterwards put your bike on the rack, drive home and contemplate what to do with your day...

Edited by Lou Zealand

Takes me back many many years..... when my Son .... who is 32 now and a dad.... got his BMX when he was 5 years old he got a fancy looking full face kiddies helmet as well as a cycling shirt.... he jumped exitedly on the bike and rode down the yard ..... disappearing into a bush at the end!!!!!! He emerged scratched and bruised but with a massive smile on his face.

The reult was that his younger boet who is 30 now became sick really sick of jealousy and I had to go and buy him a cheapie and Bouwer broers.

Both bikes have been handed down the family and are still running!!!!!!

My Grandson who is 17 months on the push bike I bought him.....

post-24-0-21980800-1291834632.jpg

Your grandson is soo cute. I am really excited at the prospect of getting them riding on their own. they both absolutely love cycling, come down to all the starts of the PPA events and look at all the cyclists. The interest is there, now to just get it right. I am going to try my older daughterm on this method i have been watching on Youtube. Taking the pedals off, getting her to master running the bike along and lifting her feet off the ground, working on her balance. Seems to work a charm. As for my little son, trainign wheels are going to stay on and I will lift them slightly on a weekly babsis, so that he doesnt get reliant on them for support.

My Grandson who is 17 months on the push bike I bought him.....

And how is that one going ? I was looking into the y-bikes, but experienced parents tell me normally they still prefer the cheap black ones.

Evening Fellow Hubbers,

Try putting the saddle very low and taking both the pedals and training wheels off. This way they can use it as a push bike and it will help them get their balance. Once they've mastered that, put the pedals back on but keep the saddle low enough that their feet can reach the ground without having to tilt the bike to the side. Before you know it, they'll be cruising the neighbourhood with you.

Try putting the saddle very low and taking both the pedals and training wheels off. This way they can use it as a push bike and it will help them get their balance. Once they've mastered that, put the pedals back on but keep the saddle low enough that their feet can reach the ground without having to tilt the bike to the side. Before you know it, they'll be cruising the neighbourhood with you.

Now that is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing, the exact thing that I have read about and seen. So it worked for you and your kids? That is excellent, I am soo excited for them and I will have a couple more riding partners :D Might need some rope to attach them to Daddy's bike though :P

I do a lot of running holding on to my 5 year old daughters bike while she pedals away.......

At least it's improving my fitness!!

I do a lot of running holding on to my 5 year old daughters bike while she pedals away.......

At least it's improving my fitness!!

Ha Ha, now I can get some off the bike training at the same time :thumbup: :D

I stuck a thickish dowel rod between the upper seat stays, behind the saddle, and fixed it with cable ties just below saddle height and at the bottom between the chain stays. There is usually a little plate there with a hole in it (for a stand?). Put a tennis ball over the top of the dowel to protect your hand, and you can walk behind them, and hold them upright. Took about three days.Kiddie didn't even realise I had let go until she was on the other side of the complex, still chatting to me!

Used it with my littlies with equal success although my girl learned a bit quicker.

Edited by TiBones

My 2 daughters are 3 and 5. They both ride 20 inch racing bmxes (GT micro). The 5 year old started racing at 4 years and 5 months. I am getting the 3 year old one a bmx racing license for next year so she can start doing races 2nd half of next year just after her 4th birthday. Currently she can ride 70% of our local bmx track (Kemptonpark). I started both of them like this:

Plastic scooter soon after they started walking. Then they had a 12" bike with training wheels to learn the coordination to peddal. (I found that they strugle more with pedalling than with balance. Once they could pedal comfortably they started riding a JD Bug. (those lihgt weight 12" push bikes) After a couple of days on the JD Bug I fitted the gearbox type pedals onto the JD bug and they could both cycle before they turned 3. Then maybe a month or 2 later they started riding the 12" bicycle without training wheels as the JD bug doesnt pedal very effiently. Bought the little one the 20" GT on 3 years and 4 months and she got on it straight away and rode it. She does need help to start as her feet doesnt touch the ground.

Most importantly - the more time you spend with them the quicker they will get it right.

Those GT's sound good but can your kids ride up hill i.e could I take my 5 year old son up a steep hill on a proper mountain bike ride or are they best for smoother more level terrain?

My kids started on JD Bugs and never needed training wheels. I've got a blue one for sale, if anyone is interested!

My son rides a Silverback Atomic now. All his buddies have bmx's, and they can't stay with him on the hills in our neighbourhood.