Mountain Sanctuary Park

jonno99

Hi there,

Does anyone cycle at Mountain Sanctuary Park out in the Magaliesburg? How is the ride?

The last time I was there (abt 18 months ago) they were under 10Km and quite rocky! Not easy riding! But it's close to Breedts Nek if you're looking for a workout!

Yes it is a bit rough, Magalies Monster goes through there. Next time I am wearing Mountain Kings 2.4. Only Clarens has given me more shakes per km LOL.

Thanks GuyP. I went hiking there one rainy day and didnt see any MTBers. Was just wandering what the trail was like. Easy going is what I need :) will maybe try that and Breedt's Nek on the same day or something, but Breedt's Nek looks extremely steep. How far is the climb?

Thanks GuyP. I went hiking there one rainy day and didnt see any MTBers. Was just wandering what the trail was like. Easy going is what I need :) will maybe try that and Breedt's Nek on the same day or something, but Breedt's Nek looks extremely steep. How far is the climb?

It can't be more than about 5Kms or so back to the road from Mountain Sanctuary, and then probably not more than 10Km right to the top from there. So it's not long, but you may need a fully functional granny gear to make the most of it!

I seem to recall they had to routes, one to the east and one to the west. The one on the west is part of the Magalies Monster, while the one on the east is probably a bit easier, with SOME smooth bits

sand is a killer, hate that stuff...maybe ill go hiking again and check it out that way...guess there are other more recognisable places more suited to cycling around that area...

Was there this weekend. The road over the ridge which I refer to as Maanhaarrand Pass would I believe be the same as Breedt's Nek is rough, the road is very eroded at the moment and I presume it will only be worse with the rain that's fallen the last 24 hours. Also that area has a lot of quarts rocks that results in that thick, coarse sand that can put you on your ass in an instant if you are not VERY careful. So be careful of belting it down the road when you come down cause you could be picking grit out your teeth. :thumbdown:

But I think if you are fit a ride up and over (with a few short walks where things get very rough) is do-able. Give yourself time and be aware that once the clouds clear, it is very hot so take along some refreshment.

Its a really special place, I nornally head out there in Winter mid-week with my 'scopes for a bit of peaceful deep sky action.

An great adventurous days walk if you are up to it is direct south up to the ridge, along the crest to the east and back down to MSP in the Tonquani Kloof, but you need a MCSA permit to go there.

Edited by kosmonooit

Its a really special place, I nornally head out there in Winter mid-week with my 'scopes for a bit of peaceful deep sky action.

An great adventurous days walk if you are up to it is direct south up to the ridge, along the crest to the east and back down to MSP in the Tonquani Kloof, but you need a MCSA permit to go there.

Oh, the diversity of hubber interests! What 'scopes have you got? I haven't taken out my 8" SC in ages - maybe I should head out there too!

I have been going there for years , but to climb in the kloofs ( it has some of the best Trad climbing in our area with awesome roots ) . its not great for mtb and for this i have never taken a mtb there, so dont bother.

I have an Orion 10" Dob - my wife calls it the Canon :)

On a good ol' alt-az mount no doubt!

Perdewater Grotto is a very special place. It is a cave hidden on the ridge at MSP with a perennial stream spilling over the roof of the cave and dropping into the middle of it. Boer commandos used to hide there and use it as a base to launch raids on the British forces during the Anglo-Boer war.

Yup here is a pic of my baby...some nice views have been Jupiter, Saturn, Orion Nebula, Large Megallanic Cloud and Eta Carinae - to name a few some awesome star clusters too.

~Hijack OFF~

post-706-0-89864200-1292245455.jpg