Gluing tubbies?

Novak

Hi, I just bought a new set of carbon tubular wheels and need somebody or shop to glue the tyres for me. Who or which shop can you recommend to do a good and proper job in Cape Town? Preferably northern suburbs.

Why not have a stab at it yourself? Its actually pretty easy, and there are lots of "how-to's" floating around internetland.

i had a look at a few of the how-to's,but the only part i am worried is to get the tread pattern nice and straight when the tires are on. Do you have enough time to move the tires around when they are on the rims?

Do you have enough time to move the tires around when they are on the rims?

Assuming you're using Continental rim cement (that's all I've ever used so not sure if it dries slower or quicker than other tubby glue brands), you are able to manipulate the tubbies into the sweet spot with a bit of slog before the cement dries completely.

Exactly. Your biggest risk is getting some adhesive residue on the rim, and even that is not a huge trainsmash as you can work it off with your fingers when it is partially dry.

I would strongly recommend leaving the tubby fully inflated on the wheel overnight (without glue) prior to gluing. I didn't do this the first time I put a set on, and did it the second time. It makes life twice as easy.

Good luck!

There are also some good Youtube videos for gluing tubbies

I also had quite an interesting conversation with a guy from a leading bike distribution company today who recons he uses straight forward contact adhesive (i.e. what you'd buy from say builders) and does not use tubby cement (glue) says its the same thing but without the fancy branding and higher price tag.

You can also get special double sided tape from Tufo that is used to stick tubbies on. Really easy- you just peel off one side, stick the tape on, put the tubbie over it and peel the second layer off.

Takes 5 mins max and easy to get the tubbie straight etc.

No idea who stocks it though

Just seen this topic.

I'm in exactly the same boat as Novak and about to put the second layer of glue onto my rims.

This is probably the best DIY video I have seen to date.

Used it as reference for my first set and never looked back and never needed a LBS either.

• 3 months later...

I'm also new to the Tubby thing and wanted to know:

Carrying a spare tubby, do you pre-stretch it? Would a tighter fit after a puncture not be better?

Do you pre-glue the spare and then apply another layer of glue to the rim when you install it or keep it clean as in 0 glue until you fit?

Thanks guys!

I'm also new to the Tubby thing and wanted to know:

Carrying a spare tubby, do you pre-stretch it? Would a tighter fit after a puncture not be better?

Do you pre-glue the spare and then apply another layer of glue to the rim when you install it or keep it clean as in 0 glue until you fit?

Thanks guys!

Try fitting one of your tubbies without stretching it! (brand dependent) Now imagine trying to do this next to the road during an event. You dont need glue either, there should be enough glue left on the rim to get you home.

Just ride without a spare and have a friends number on speed dial, much easier ;)

No-one can pay me enough money to glue their tubbies for them. What price is there on fingernails separating from fingers, tendonitis, gruntinitis and sweat?

Nevertheless, for my sins, I seem to do a set a month.

It is simple but not easy.

Smear contact glue on both sides. Use Genkem or any other light-brown smelly contact glue.

Have a beer whilst the stuff dries.

Once it is not tacky anymore, insert the valve into its little orifice and work away from the valves. Discover that the valve is way to short to go through the rim. Race against time to find a valve extender.

As soon as it becomes to difficult to get more tyre on wihout it coming off the other side, you go hunting for a moerse big cable tie. Tie the one end of the tyre to the rim with massive force. Now work towards that tied section.

Grunt, sweat and swear a lot.

Enjoy the feeling of nails separating from nail beds. Kick the dog. Open a beer.

Carry on until all the tyre is on the rim. Cut the cable tie and focus on pullin the tyre off the rim and repositioning it wherever you think it doesn't run straight.

Make Tsk Tsk Tsk sounds at the superflous glue on the braking surface that looks ugly and out of place.

Have more beer.

Inflate the bloody thing and hand it over to its anachronistic owner.

OH YES...insert this bit somewhere upfront. Inflate it a bit beforehand and leave it to stretch (small print...as if that helps).

Clinchers rule.

Edited by Johan Bornman