Tokai trails

Nope - referring to the very bottom of Vasbyt (that some okes call DH1) just by the "north shore" style section and the drop-off following that... Helluva sandy following that section there!

But then, I'm pretty sure the fail was due to the low speed I was carrying through there.

Next section to explore is DH2... Really wanna get in there!

I agree Cpt i came a cropper there yesterday, just a bit futher down :blush:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I go left after the stump :) find it quite easy. Must post a vid but the quality is not so good. Its got me wipe out on.

Cpt If you do go try fix the trails give me a shout Ill glady help if Im off

Edited by leet22

cpt: i go both, jut whatever grabs the fancy on the day. but that little rut on the left does catch a pedal sometimes.

So anyone know those chaps?

Edited by Capricorn

Nope - don't know them from a bar of soap. Inconsiderate ^&*$#ers!

And I know all about that little rock to the left... caught a pedal there as well, when I could have sworn I was clear! Should know better though, me being on a HT xc bike and all... Low clearance blah blah blah...

Leet - Shall do! Even if I take a little broom and dust-bucket to clear the sand in those areas! Snake eyes is a different animal though. As Cap says - sand all over the place there!

Guest Omega Man

This time of year is always a little sandy on the trails up there. I find it laughable that the powers that be have an issue with some kids and a few spades when they allow heavy machinery up there to decimate the mountain.

Does anyone know when and why they chopped down all the trees? It makes me very sad!!!

Also, I must say, this section was looking particularly good last weekend :thumbup:

post-20229-0-80835400-1295333158.jpg

Guest Omega Man

Ok now don't quote me on this but..

There are supposedly 3 parties involved with Tokai.

1. Sanparks. they own the land

2. Safcol. They own the trees. Chris Botes is the guy in charge. He lives in the 2nd house on the left after the gate.

3. The City of Cape Town. They own all the access roads etc.

The City apparently has a budget that goes to trail maintenance. Rumored to be around the R120k mark. This doesn't go very far and is used by the Dirtopia guys to spruce up the trails and add new bits if there is budget left. I think they do a great job personally. Sanparks can't afford for the trails to fall in to disrepair as Tokai generates around R30k per weekend just from mountain bikers. This park subsidizes other national parks in the Karoo and the like that get far fewer visitors.

There have been trail maintenance days that I have personally been involved in and attendance was PITYFULL at best. When you say something like "They must fix these trails" there is no THEY. We are they. If you want the trails cleaned up get involved. Organize a bunch of mates and make a plan.

Oh and wait for the inevitable comments from passing riders.

Edited by Omega Man

Yeah - thing is, I'm fully prepared to be part of "they" and will ponce anybody who has a snide comment for someone who is helping maintain the trails.

Regarding the time and place, I just need to get in to contact with Amarider / Dirtopia so something else can be organized. I'm sure a couple of okes at least (min 5 or so) would be able willing to help us spruce them up a bit...

Its just gonna get worse as they are cutting down all the pine trees! I`m not gonna renew my Wild card due to this crisis! Rather spend the extra money and go ride at Lebanon, Oak Valley, Jonkershoek, Contermanskloof, etc.

They never consulted anyone, they just started cutting.

So the sand will get worse due to soil erosion and due to the fact that there are no trees to shelter the sand blowing around! The sand is getting blown from above the Saddle (Cross-roads - Silvermine/Tarmac road paths) all the way down to the main single track!

Tokai has awesome single/jeep track but I think its gonna get worse. :(

the cutting is thanks to a single conservation-nazi, and it has been documented in the local paper for the past 3 years or so. He's a hectic lobbyist, and wants to return the Table Mountain area to its "former glory" by reintroducing native fynbos to the area.

Forgetting that there is countless wildlife that has taken residence in Tokai. And that the trees are holding up the majority of the soil, and stopping hectic erosion from taking place.

Guest Omega Man

Yeah - thing is, I'm fully prepared to be part of "they" and will ponce anybody who has a snide comment for someone who is helping maintain the trails.

Regarding the time and place, I just need to get in to contact with Amarider / Dirtopia so something else can be organized. I'm sure a couple of okes at least (min 5 or so) would be able willing to help us spruce them up a bit...

It's pointless to do it now cos it's just dust but come winter there will deff be some digging going on.

I believe that the north shore piece at the bottom of vasbyt (i hope) is falling apart. a few broken planks now. Who is responsible for something like that which is man made? Even if it is just a warning sign to say be careful??

I believe that the north shore piece at the bottom of vasbyt (i hope) is falling apart. a few broken planks now. Who is responsible for something like that which is man made? Even if it is just a warning sign to say be careful??

I think they put new planks in last week, unless other ones have broken since then..